Anyone found a 1943 steel penny?

I'v found 2 in Approxamately 40 years.

Both were found because there was another Coin with them.

Both were just Penny size Rusted Discs, when I found them,

And IF by Chance I would have found one alone, I'd Throw it away as a Piece of Rusted metal.

In my Belief, The ground would have to have been Dry from the time the penny was Lost, In order to find one Un Rusted.
? Or in an Air tight Container.

sniper19612003 said:
I found two of them this past summer. They are in pretty good shape also. Just have to be lucky to find them I guess. Trust me, I got lucky. lol

Any Chance They were Found At a Construction Site ?

i went to my aunts for thanksgiving, and started talking coins with my 8 yr old cousin....so he went and grabbed his coin box...or should i say turtle... he keeps them in a big brass turtle...he had one silver quarter a 64, 4 or 5 buffalo nickles with no date and yes he had a rusty 43 penny...i think next time i am out that way we are going to do some trading....maybe i should just kick his butt and take it...he is kinda rotten anyways.
good luck
lgp

I know Mine isn't Anything to look at.

I REALY did find 2, I just can't remember Where I found the other, So it's making it hard to find where I have it. I guess You'll just have to Believe me :P

Here are 3 pics of one.
Sorry it Dosn't photograph Nice.

Attachments

• 1943Steel_cent002.jpg
    1943Steel_cent002.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 662
  • STEEL1943_cent001.jpg
    STEEL1943_cent001.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 646
  • STEEL1943_cent002.jpg
    STEEL1943_cent002.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 643
Wow! now thats a rusty penny...it isnt even round anymore lol. Can you make out anything on the penny at alll? how did you ID it as a steel penny?

As I said, The ONLY Way I Know it's a penny is, It was in a Hole With Another Coin.

In Fact I think Another Penny & a Merc, IF I remember Right.

And It's TOO Close to a Penny Not to be a 1943 Steel

NOTE :

Just Checked Record for that day.

Old Coin Finds The same day

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 11 Wheats 1935 to 1958

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 1 Mercury dime 1945-S

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?1 Roosevelt Dime 1948

So there Is a Good Chance My Memory Isn't TOO far off If it is at all? ;)

and some Pics to Compair :

#1 MEMORIAL & STEEL

#2 MEMORAL on top of Steel

#3 Steel on top of Memorial.

Attachments

• compare001.jpg
    compare001.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 626
  • memorial_on_Top001.jpg
    memorial_on_Top001.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 638
  • STEEL_on_TOP001.jpg
    STEEL_on_TOP001.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 626
Your right, exact size...steel punch-outs from construction sites are larger than a penny :) I have found a coin like rusty object, but it was a little smaller than a dime, still have it, no clue what it is...think its just a piece of cut sheet metal from along time ago.

I think I have found about 3 in about 33 years of looking. Mine weren't quite as bad as Jeff's. You could see Lincoln, but barely make out the date. Mine were all found with a TR detector with no discrimination. I think I threw them in with my junk and damaged coins. I don't think you could even sell them for the steel in them.

ive only found a couple in my change over the years.

hollowpointred said:
ive only found a couple in my change over the years.

I was gonna say the same thing. I managed to save 2.

Attachments

• Steelies 001 copy.jpg
    Steelies 001 copy.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 609
I found one in the late 80's by itself. Thought it was an electrical slug at first. But since I have a habit of looking at everything before discarding it, I was just barely able to make out Lincolns profile. Was too far gone to see a date.
"BUT"
In 1990 I dug a 1943 copper penny.

Well, that is until I paid a high faloot'n coin place a $100 dollars to examine it. They then told me and let me see where someone had filed or sanded down half of the 8 on a 1948 wheat. Apparently to pass it off as the real thing some years before. HH

Well, I haven't found any, but here are the tree in my collection, found at a local dealer for a decent price! They are a nice little peice of history, and really cool looking when they're nice and shiney!

Attachments

• DSCN1717.JPG
    DSCN1717.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 647
  • DSCN1720.JPG
    DSCN1720.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 640
Very nice Uncirculated steels! I get them for .03 cents apiece at the coin store at the cape, every now and then there is some that look uncirculated. I have a couple of rolls of them now.

rvbvetter said:
? ? ? ?? ? ? In 1990 I dug a 1943 copper penny.

? ? ? ?Well, that is until I paid a high faloot'n coin place a $100 dollars to examine it. They then told me and let me see where someone had filed or sanded down half of the 8 on a 1948 wheat.? Apparently to pass it off as the real thing some years before.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?HH?

Wow, what a bummer. I bet you were downright dizzy until you got the report and became nauseated instead! Still, I bet it was fun while it lasted!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back