Anyone from Pittsburgh? I am considering moving there.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I went through Pittsburgh I was going to a Dead show in the early 80's. I don't remember too much except for a whole lot of bridges. :laughing9: I googled Pittsburgh garage sales and this is what I came up with-
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/gms/ I took a brief look and saw a good looking estate sale about 25 miles outside of the city thgat I would have loved to have gone to-
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/gms/2396453193.html.

I'm sure that there are finds to be found anywhere you live as long as there is a halfway decent sized city nearby. I was on vacation in Gatlinburg several years ago and came across a yardsale in the middle of "nowhere Tenn." while driving, I found some great stuff there. I recently sold the Mego Starsky and Hutch car that I bought there for over $300.00 on Ebay. Point is you can find a deal anywhere as long as your looking and willing to drive a little.

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of willing to drive the my plan is to take week trips from Pittsburgh to Minnesota hitting up all the thrift stores, antique stores, and garage sales in between. Take pictures / list the items, and store them in Minnesota until they sell, and have a family member / employee ship them for me, then shop another direction back to Pittsburgh.

I think hunting for ebay items is very similar to coin roll hunting. It's those out of the way places that net you the biggest finds.

Brian B

Mar 22, 2011
I'm from just south of Erie. I know this area has a town of sales. I'm in Pitt quite a bit, because I am a book reseller/thrift store type of guy. There are at least a dozen thrift stores name brand like goodwill, sa, vets, etc. Then there are the others. And a lot of the little towns around it have community sales. Seems like little towns still have a ton of old stuff. just went through kingsville, Oh sat and couldn't belive the older toys and collectibles this little town had.

OP
OP
famous turtle treasures
Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! This is true there are no shark teeth in Pittsburgh, but it will at least get me within driving distance. * Drools *

Good to hear I figured that area would be good for older items. Hmmm maybe I could get into some bottle digging even.

Thanks for the info. I think the biggest thing I will have to get use to is not having garage sales due to the winter. I would probably have to have a house big enough to stock for the winter.

Love It Twice 2009

Apr 23, 2011
The glass city, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently borrowing a Tesoro Cortes
Although I'm not from Pittsburgh(I live about 45 mins away), a lot of the outlying areas, are made up of old towns and suburbs that you should do well. There are tons of flea markets, garage sales and estate sales within a 25-50 mile radius. Just last weekend there were several storage lockers up for auction in Pittsburgh. There is a good bit of history in Allegheny and Westmoreland County's and some of the really good estate sales are usually from the 20's 30's and 40's era.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
im 100 miles from there...theres a huge flea market there and several smaller ones...watch out for one way streets.....a wrong turn could get you miles away from where you wanna go....lotsa smaller towns around too....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread