NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
allen said:
Me and my wife decided to have a 2 day sale,
Friday and Saturday and raked in close to $250
for the days combined, which blew our minds.
What is the most money you have made by selling
things you dont need or dont want anymore at a
yard sale?
My Wife and her sister have yard sales a couple of times a year and typically she'll make between $200 and $400.
Right after our son's birth, she had one and made over $600, selling lots of gently used baby stuff. Babies grow fast....
Everything is tagged and we keep the sales written down as who's is who's, so at the end of the day it's easy to figure out everything...
My wife puts up a bright fluorescent colored sign with big lettering on Tuesday evening prior to the sale as advertisement.
She has the sale on Saturday mornings, starting at 8:00am, running til 11:00am.
We typically see a lot of the same people, we sell the stuff at good prices, but we don't give it away...

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Only had one sale, on a Sat from 8-12, made around $325. Its was generally a pain in the butt, dragging crap out, getting tables, setting-up, pricing ect.. I have enough stuff to GS now that won't easily move on Ebay. I'm leaning toward just donating it all!!

I was mostly surprised how well the old items from my kids sold (books, toys, games).

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I had crazy good luck at yard sales. It must have been a location thing. I had two sales one year, (spring and fall), and made $600 and $800. Most of the stuff I was selling was just leftovers from auction house buys. You know, where you buy a whole table lot of stuff because you really only want one item in that lot to resell on eBay, but you have to take all of it. haha.. Not too shabby.. Lots of hispanics and god bless 'em for coming to my yard sale! Clothes/Electronics/CD's.. SOLD haha

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After going to sales for several years consistently as a way to make a second income, I have never had a garage sale myself. I'm gonna find out this weekend. I'm having my first one. I've gotta get rid of some of this stuff, I can't get in my spare room anymore not to mention my storage units. I have to make room for some more stuff. :laughing7: I'll fill you in this weekend.

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
$500 at my best sale. I have rules at my sale, nothing is priced (people take the tags off any way).

1. The more you buy the cheaper it gets
2. Everything is negotiable

I usually tell people to bring up everything they want and I make them a lot price. sves time, money and aggravation.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$2300 on a 3 day sale. Largest items sold was a refrigerator for $75.00, Couple of lawnmowers for $50.00 each.
The rest came from sales of $15 and less. The best part of it was it was all found in the garbage over a 6 month period.

OP
OP
allen

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like we all have had a few good yard sales then.
The biggest item I sold was my Weedeater weedeater,
it went for $20, everything else was what knots, clothes,
toys, books and a few games that we no longer played.
Thank you all for replying !!
A

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most most my wife and I made was $826.25 over a 2 day sale, I had sold a couple of detectors (Bounty Hunter landstar, Garrett Ace 100)for a $100.00 a piece. the rest of my stuff was misc tools and guy stuff. She sold the most though, High end clothes for 2-3 dollars a shot, Good luck & Happy Hunting..............Scott

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Just finished one. Yesterday i went to an abandond property auction. Winner takes what they want and leave the rest. So no clean up. Placed had been trashed, vandles, most buyers looked and walked away. Only 2 left me and jt. we each made a couple of bids and I quit at 50 and let him have it. He offered to go in halves so i did. After tax $60 or 30 ea. Instead of picking what we wanted, we decided to have a yard sale thr next day. We both picked what we wanted and put the rest up for sale. Total take $936. When we were done we told the neighbors that they could have the rest or sell it themselves. we were done.. out of there. good two days work.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandfather came up to where I used to live one Saturday to have a yard sale with me. I lived on a busy street with lots of parking and we were selling excess antique glassware, pottery, collectibles, etc. that we couldn't get rid of anywhere else. My total was dwarfed by his. I think I sold around $800 and he did about $1600, so $2400 for the day for two people.

Then in the same city, selling the same kinds of items, on a busy street with no parking, I made 50 cents on the day, haha. Only one person was able to stop at the sale since the street was no parking and I had no off street parking.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
After going to sales for several years consistently as a way to make a second income, I have never had a garage sale myself. I'm gonna find out this weekend. I'm having my first one. I've gotta get rid of some of this stuff, I can't get in my spare room anymore not to mention my storage units. I have to make room for some more stuff. :laughing7: I'll fill you in this weekend.
Update- I had a sale a couple weekends ago, got rid of a lot of junk (Haitians love junk). Made $340 in 3 hours, all unwanted stuff, highest price items were a couple Jim Beam Decanters (full) $15, a vintage Garcia Conolon Rod $25, a pair of cheapy house speakers $25 and a Fly rod/reel $20, everything else was $1-2 or less.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread