bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250
bigcreekdad said:
I've been using an MXT not since late summer. I've scored some hits with it, but I must admit, I'm tired of constantly looking at the screen as I swing. I know Whites now has a multi pitch machine, but I'm seriously wondering if I shouldn't just jump up to the E -Trac?

Any thoughts out there?

The MXT is a great machine....but there are extra features and flexibility allowing you to filter out good targets in trash with the Etrac. I think there is better depth overall. I sold the MXT, bought an Etrac and haven't looked back. But thats just me so make sure you get the MXT book and study it then follow up with a lot of swing time. The MXT is very capable using the right coil for the job.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I have the MXT and bought an Etrac. As mentioned above it has a lot of additional options and will probably out perform the MXT. However, with the amount of time I spend detecting, I am going to stick with the MXT for it's ease of use and it is still a very capable detector. It may find that occassional coin, but with the extra cost of the etrac, it's a lot of those finds to make up the difference.

So with that said, the etrac is an excellent detector for someone willing to spend the time to know it, I am sticking with the MXT for the simplicity and it's capabilities. Good luck :coffee2:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
John (Ma) said:
I have the MXT and bought an Etrac. As mentioned above it has a lot of additional options and will probably out perform the MXT. However, with the amount of time I spend detecting, I am going to stick with the MXT for it's ease of use and it is still a very capable detector. It may find that occassional coin, but with the extra cost of the etrac, it's a lot of those finds to make up the difference.

So with that said, the etrac is an excellent detector for someone willing to spend the time to know it, I am sticking with the MXT for the simplicity and it's capabilities. Good luck :coffee2:
I have to go along with.... John (Ma).... I also like the detectors that are not that complicated.................. I feel that the Sovereign and Excalibur will do any thing the ETrac will do ...find coins.......................I had a MXT and thought it was the best detector that Whites made.............

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Also, something to think about as you say you are tired of looking at the screen, A lot of Tesoro models do not have screens and are excellent detectors. Minelab also makes the GT which is a fine choice as well. I learned a lot from my Tesoro's and while I am water hunting there is no screen and yes you do get junk, but you also get a lot of the good stuff.

When I had my DFX I had a bad sounding bottle cap. I dug it anyway and it ended up being a thin silver ring! Anyway, just another thought, good luck. :coffee2:

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both.
Since I got my E-trac at Christmas time the Mxt has been on the shelf collecting dust.

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250
Forgot to mention this but the defining moment for me was on a silver quarter buried at a depth of 8 inches. Also included a quarter size piece of rotten metal next to it. The MXT with the 950 coil would hit only at persistent sweeps meaning I probably would have skipped over it. With my Etrac the Fe number jumped around a bit but the CO number was a solid 45-47. While I loved the MXT that little exercise sold me.

Lost2Much

Apr 29, 2011
South Pa.
Detector(s) used
MXT XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm glad I did not sell-trade my MXT for the new V3i. After 2 months of finding nothing, I realized it was the new machine. The dealer won't be back til next week. Took the MXT for a walk today and found 2 nails on top of a Clad Quarter that read Buckle. (I always use Relic Mode). And a 42 Jeff, previously hunted with the V3i. Guess which one is getting sold!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Lost2Much said:
I'm glad I did not sell-trade my MXT for the new V3i. After 2 months of finding nothing, I realized it was the new machine. The dealer won't be back til next week. Took the MXT for a walk today and found 2 nails on top of a Clad Quarter that read Buckle. (I always use Relic Mode). And a 42 Jeff, previously hunted with the V3i. Guess which one is getting sold!
Which one.. ??? ???

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I went from using a DFX to an ETRAC. the DFX is a real good MD, it found my first gold ring, however, the ETRAC has better separation and I use mine like the DFX. I turn it on and go,
and I still find things deeper than the DFX. the MXT is a good MD too, my only issue is it's a little chatty. the only thing I can say is buy the one that gives you the warm and fuzzy, and then learn everything about it that you can

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The advantage that minelab has over whites is the fact that they come stock with a DD style coil and on whites you have to buy the DD coil. That is the reason you see guys pulling out good stuff next to trash with minelabs and the 950 coil on whites machines are not so great for trashy areas. If I was you and you wanted an upgrade I would just get a DD coil and put it on the mxt. That is what I use and the difference is like night and day. If you do not like the mxt then go for the minelab but your still going to have to check the screen if your out cherry picking. Tim

Yellowhouse

Jun 24, 2009
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Prizm IV; MXT; Ace 250
bigtim1973 said:
The advantage that minelab has over whites is the fact that they come stock with a DD style coil and on whites you have to buy the DD coil. That is the reason you see guys pulling out good stuff next to trash with minelabs and the 950 coil on whites machines are not so great for trashy areas. If I was you and you wanted an upgrade I would just get a DD coil and put it on the mxt. That is what I use and the difference is like night and day. If you do not like the mxt then go for the minelab but your still going to have to check the screen if your out cherry picking. Tim

The stock 950 coil is next to worthless if there is any trash around. The MXT is pretty awesome with a DD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread