Found a Minelab Explorer SE-PRO For Sale!! Value Question?

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a nice ML Explorer at a local pawnshop. It has a Sunray attached on it. Would like to know from some experienced ML Explorer users if this seems like a good deal. They are asking $600 for this unit seems well taken care of. The only thing I notice is it does not have an 11 inch double D coil seems to have a 10 inch. I already offered less for it. They seem to be firm on this number. They are comparing to a new one sold on Kelly co. I argued the fact that theirs doesn't come with a guarantee. Any advice would be grateful.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the probe $600 is a fair Price,
But you make a Good point
"doesn't come with a guarantee"

If your Familiar with the Explorer,
& They are willing to let you
take it outside for a Test Drive,
This may help you Decide.

Odds are they paid $200 & Is why they want 6 :(

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
600 is a very good price with the probe
one way to find out if it works is to offer them a deposit so you can test the machine

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert on any machines, but I am an expert as far as negotiating the price you want to pay, plus what I call a $20.00 handling fee. :headbang:

Seems like the consensus here is that it's a good machine and worth the money. Now, what do you want to pay for it? I don't care if it's ten dollars, I'll have you walking out with that machine if you pay attention to my simple rules.

1- Determine what you really want to spend
2- Now recruit some youngster from that area and pay him $20.00 to help you with a purchase. Tell him the man at the store didn't believe he was going to buy this machine for his son.
3- Check over the machine again, and try to negotiate a better price, and since the store owner will not budge move on to step #4
4- Tell the owner you want to run a quick test with the unit and leave the amount you originally decided was your purchase price as the deposit.
5- Ask your "son" to remain there for a few minutes when you want to test the machine.
6- Walk out the store and take your new purchase home :headbang:

See, simple :laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
spartacus53 said:
I'm no expert on any machines, but I am an expert as far as negotiating the price you want to pay, plus what I call a $20.00 handling fee. :headbang:

Seems like the consensus here is that it's a good machine and worth the money. Now, what do you want to pay for it? I don't care if it's ten dollars, I'll have you walking out with that machine if you pay attention to my simple rules.

2- Now recruit some youngster from that area and pay him $20.00 to help you with a purchase. Tell him the man at the store didn't believe he was going to buy this machine for his son.
3- Check over the machine again, and try to negotiate a better price, and since the store owner will not budge move on to step #4
4- Tell the owner you want to run a quick teat with the unit and leave the amount you originally decided was your purchase price as the deposit.
5- Ask your "son" to remain there for a few minutes when you want to test the machine.
6- Walk out the store and take your new purchase home :headbang:

See, simple :laughing7:
Sounds like stealing to me.......

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very good price for the SE Pro especially with the Probe. I would be jumping on it If it where advertised for sale on the forum here, so why not there at the pawn shop. That guy has to make a profit also and it doesn't matter what he paid for it, it's immaterial and You don't have to wait for it to be shipped O! and I forgot there's no shipping fees. The only metal detectors that I know that have guarantees that can be passed on are Whites and I think Garret's. That unit would probably sell for $750.00 on the forum here.
But the bottom line is: What do you want to pay for it?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, this was originally posted in the Everything Now forum, and that is a section where I dole out advise, be it good, or bad...

Keppy, it's not really stealing per se. It's more like the "Little Rascals", pay as you exit :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
spartacus53 said:
Sorry, this was originally posted in the Everything Now forum, and that is a section where I dole out advise, be it good, or bad...

Keppy, it's not really stealing per se. It's more like the "Little Rascals", pay as you exit :thumbsup:
Got ya............... :icon_thumright:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Marchas45 said:
That's a very good price for the SE Pro especially with the Probe. I would be jumping on it If it where advertised for sale on the forum here, so why not there at the pawn shop. That guy has to make a profit also and it doesn't matter what he paid for it, it's immaterial and You don't have to wait for it to be shipped O! and I forgot there's no shipping fees. The only metal detectors that I know that have guarantees that can be passed on are Whites and I think Garret's. That unit would probably sell for $750.00 on the forum here.
But the bottom line is: What do you want to pay for it?
I would pay $600.00 for it .............. And seeing as i don't like inline probs ............ I would sell the probe for $100.00 or $125.00 that would leave me only paying $475 or $ 500.00 for the SE Pro.......... And like Marchas if it was for sale in the forum here at that price it would not last one day.......... it would sell fast.......... And you got a chance to try it out before you buy it..... That's a plus.........

OP
OP
Reverend B*IKE*

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert on any machines, but I am an expert as far as negotiating the price you want to pay, plus what I call a $20.00 handling fee. Seems like the consensus here is that it's a good machine and worth the money. Now, what do you want to pay for it? I don't care if it's ten dollars, I'll have you walking out with that machine if you pay attention to my simple rules.
4- Tell the owner you want to run a quick test with the unit and leave the amount you originally decided was your purchase price as the deposit.
6- Walk out the store and take your new purchase home See, simple!

Love this idea! But he does have great guitarson occasion that I would also like to pick up! So I will be returning to this pawn shop.
Thanks for all the advise I think I will go give it a once over one more time. I was looking to spend about $400-500. His first asking price was about 800 from the helper, then with a little coaxing I managed to get the owner to drop it to $600! I dont think they realize the value of the probe ! So Basically they seem to be asking for the unit as is, not knowing it has a sunray on it. In other words they are over priced since they niave about the probe. I own a ML Safari.(similar but different) So I will use my best judgement as far as testing. When I gave it a once over seemed to function fine and P.S. Probe seemed to work fine also. Wish me luck!

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't make the mistake thinking the pawn shop owners don't know the value of the detector, those people do a lot of research when thier not busy, I know, I used to work in a pawn shop part time. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: I'm also a regular visitor to our local pawn shop where I live. :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Marchas45 said:
Don't make the mistake thinking the pawn shop owners don't know the value of the detector, those people do a lot of research when thier not busy, I know, I used to work in a pawn shop part time. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: I'm also a regular visitor to our local pawn shop where I live. :thumbsup:
Yep those pawn shop guys know the going price on every thing in there shop............... Oh ya there no dummies...........

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reverend B*IKE* said:
Love this idea! But he does have great guitars on occasion that I would also like to pick up! So I will be returning to this pawn shop.

In that case, you can resort to my other famous ploy.. Wear a disguise, beard and wig (If you already have long hair, use a short wig, or one of a different color).. Use all he same steps, but the excuse for leaving is to check the acoustics at the studio. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread