Anyone here an expert on grading colonial coins?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this coin earlier this summer at an old site. It came out of the ground in fabulous condition for a coin this old. I've been meaning to have this coin professionally graded at some point but have just been too lazy up to this point. What type of grade do you think this coin (being colonial) would generate?

Attachments

• IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 447

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not knowing much about how Vermont's are graded but I have several Colonial Coin Club Collector auction annual catalogs and looking at how non-ground found Vermont's are graded it appears they do the same for knocking down the coin by separating basically into two grades, One for sharpness and then an overall or "net" grade, which means they subtract "points" for corrosion, holes, scratches, dents, planchet flaws, etc.

Personally after looking at the photos, hard to say, but here is my opinion, based on what I see in the catalogs. Yours appears to have medium to a high sharpness grade in Fine, but I am sure due to the corrosion it would be knocked down to a Very Good grade.

If you want to PM me your email addy, I would photograph a page or two from where I am looking and you can sort of judge for yourself. :)

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions