Anyone Here Ever Try RATPHONES from DetectUSA ?????

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
yes I have a pair.very sensitive.better than my koss k/w pro's(only reference I have).very hot though due to leather like padded ear cups(cups ears airtight).I use them in cooler weather,but keeps outside noise out well.great tonal responce.only problem was the
leather cup slid up a little when stored with weight pushing against it.I just peeled off and reapplyied,the glue was still active.otherwise built and works very well.

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick comeback, solx nys. Maybe the sweating problem can be overcome by using knitted tennis wristbands. That's what we used to use in the Air Force. Those aircrew headsets had "dead" ear cushions covered in thin vinyl. Uncomfortable and sweat generators. Inserting each earcup into a knitted wrist band cured both of those problems. Even though I retired in 1988, I still have my last pair of "knits" that will go onto the Rats. ;D ;D ;D

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
I've been using the Rat's for 1 1/2 years. I agree with most of the above statements. The cord is interchangeable so they don't need to be sent in if one breaks. The cord is almost cheaper than sending in a pair to be repaired. The phones need to keep outside noise out to here the whispers. The limiter is a must with my MXT and it works great. Rob

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I have been using them for several months now and they are absolutely the best I have ever used. I had the limiter installed as well and I went with the single volume control. I have been out in the heat with them and have not had a problem yet. The soft leather ear pads are very comfortable and I can wear them for hours. They stay snug but not tight if that makes sense to ya.

HH

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you folks for your quick responses. Today, I ordered a pair of RatPhones with single volume control, limiter and a cutout switch. I like the idea of having the option of using a limiter or not--depending on which type of detector I have at the time. Plus the 270-300 ohm rating is the highest I've seen advertised.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
here are some pics of my ratty

Attachments

• DSC00396.JPG
    DSC00396.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC00396.JPG
    DSC00396.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 226

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

interesting,knitted sweat band hhhmmm.watch out for bacteria build up.I heard that the
public phones in a music store are nasty breeding grounds.will try the band idea though,thanks.

Attachments

• DSC00400.JPG
    DSC00400.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC00399.JPG
    DSC00399.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC00398.JPG
    DSC00398.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC00397.JPG
    DSC00397.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC00397.JPG
    DSC00397.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC00398.JPG
    DSC00398.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC00399.JPG
    DSC00399.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC00400.JPG
    DSC00400.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 199
OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bomber said:
what a limiter?

A limiter is a simple electronic circuit that "clips" off the loudest sound spikes to prevent them from blowing the wax out of your ears. ;D ;D ;D

Even though my Tesoro units aren't that bad, some other manufacturers' machines are. Whites is one example. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but having a limiter available that I can "click" in to ease those loudest "bang" hits just makes good sense to me.

Hey solx nys, if the knitted wristbands aren't wide enough to fit good, I'll cut the tops off of a pair of crewsocks for wider bands that SHOULD work OK.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the sharp high pitched tone of the rats
beats out the pair of grey ghosts i bought to try
the greys are to low in tone for me and my needs(not a slam)
maybe another machine with the greys would work
but the rats fit the pitch of my troy better
side note apply bug spray before you put them on :-X :-X
the spray droplets will pit the outer casing :-\

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my phones today! Excellent quality and, after some quick backyard tests, I'm really glad I bought them. They're the first headphones I've ever worn that has earcups that actually seal at the bottoms of my earlobes. They seal out outside noise so well, that I can hear myself breathe. Now for some in-the-field testing. ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions