Anyone here from SC?

D

damz68

I just bought a detector and cant figure where to use it. I live in the upstate. So where is a good place to go. I know I can search city parks, but just not interested in fiding recently lost junk. Is there anywhere you can go, I just can not imagine a homeowner saying ya, you can dig holes in my yard.

I would like to try Gov. property, does anyone know what the rules and regulations are for that, like national forest?

Thanks for any info.

Upvote 0

Luke34

Greenie
Jul 10, 2006
South Carolina
Hi damz68,

I live in Columbia and also am new to the metal detecting game/sport/addiction, so I can't be of much help. (I'm also new to TreasureNet and may have sent a very similar reply accidentally.) I certainly will be interested in seeing the responses you get!

There is lots of info on TN about getting permission. I did check with SLED and found out that they have no restrictions on detecting (state-wide), so you shouldn't get arrested! (The same is also true re. the Lex County Sheriff's Dept.)

What kind of detector do you have?

Cheers--Luke

OP
OP
D

damz68

Hey Luke,
I have the Minelabs X-terra 30. I was going to get the ace 250, but only cost 100.00 more to get -30. I could not pass that deal up.
One thing we got going for us here in SC is HISTORY! The Charleston area should be good. I cant wait to find a good spot.

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hello Guys,

Damz68,

You are correct. SC has plenty of history for us to search.
From gold and gems,a lost Indian silver mine near Pickens, to Rev.War and Civil War artifacts, to modern treasure people lose at the beach everyday.
There is no end to what can be found.

There are several people on this board from this state.

You have plenty of history in the upstate too !!!
I can send you plenty of Treasure leads by email if you wish.
Just email me.

Take care,
Mike in SC

OP
OP
D

damz68

Sounds good to me.

How bout telling me where Midlands is or is that your way of saying "sandhills". I thought I knew evey town in my state.

Is there any where you can go without having to get permission? What can I say, I have p problem with rejetion. In getting permission to hunt areas, about what is your ratio of yes/no.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
I live in Myrtle Beach and have been metal detecting (now treasure hunting) for around 12 or so years.
I have a lot of great leads on Civil War campsites and skirmishes in the state that aren't common knowledge.
As far as just coinshooting at a park, I don't really go for it. I'm more into relic and cache hunting. However, I do hunt the beach a lot and have been very happy with it. Starting to get a good collection of gold and silver jewelry.
My recommendation is to hit the library's and go into the archives. Just start looking at story headlines from old newspaper clippings for clues to old gathering sites, old swimming holes, etc. Also, don't pass up the obits. Back then they printed alot of good information about the deceased finances and may even give info about a possible cache site.
There's a lot of good people here on T-Net that will hunt with you and assist you with the functions of your detector. I'm definately one.
Good luck.
xXx

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hey damz68,

The Midlands is generally considered from around Columbia then south to just below Orangeburg (where i am from)near Bamberg Bowman, and Branchville areas. South of that is called the Low Country (St.George,Walterboro ,Charleston and vicinity.)
I am not sure where exactly the "Upstate " starts but i assume it would be hilly region north of Newberry.
Also fom Georgetown along the beaches to Little River at the SC/NC borber is called the "Grand Strand."
I think the SandHills area is in the Northeast corner of the state. Please correct me if i am wrong.

xXx has some great advice. He is a professional. You should read some of his previous posts. You can learn a lot. I did.

I will see what i can send you,

Mike in SC

C

Charles Miller

I lived in Lake Wylie, SC, for 10 years before moving up to North Carolina last year. Only recently started metal detecting, so I'm not much help on locating sites...yet. I can tell you that there is an elusive, mystery monument at the bottom of Lake Wylie that people have been trying to recover for decades. Right there on the west side of the Buster Boyd Bridge, sort of near the swimmin' hole at Camp Thunderbird. Before they dammed up the Catawba River to create Lake Wylie, there was this obelisk on the SC river bank to commemorate something... Or maybe it was a state-line monument, I don't remember, have to look it up.

Anyway, when the lake is especially low, people have actually seen the thing just below the surface. When the lake is really low (which hasn't happened in a long time), the monument actually protrudes above the surface. Unfortunately, the window of its appearance is brief, so there's no time to organize a salvage before it disappears again. Cool. This isn't an urban myth, either, it's just a very difficult salvage project and nobody has pulled it off yet.

Also, I remember that some guy down in Charleston, SC, went metal detecting in the Old Town on the peninsula (unless the guy owned the property, I seriously doubt this was legal, since the entire area is considered historic district), and he hit a motherload of CSA belt buckles, slave dogtags, chains and manacles. I think he even took some of those artifacts to The Antiques Road Show, where the appraiser's hair just stood on end. Never found out what he did with his haul.

But, yeah, I know that South Carolina and North Carolina are like ground zero for Revolutionary War and Civil War artifacts, not to mention gold. I'm just getting started on my GPAA Mining Guide, and plan to make a grand tour of the sites for this area.

;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread