Anyone hunted the ghost town Birch in the UP???

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
I checked my list of ghost towns and can't find Birch. I'm looking at Mansfield which is my area. Anyone know how to get to Mansfield? I live off of M-95 in the witch lake area.

If Birch is my way send me a message, eh? I have room here at my place. I live alone on a beautiful lake and had a Moose in my yard this morning. See att. I'm 50 miles north of Iron Mountain. Gene

Attachments

• Moose1.jpg
    Moose1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 291

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
im sure people have hit it but its some ground to cover, some people still live there, there are 2 old gold mines in behind there also, i never really check out what is left other than a drive by, pretty good history there, one of my to hit spots, i think its about 20 -25 miles north of mqt, its been quite a few years since ive been up that way.

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
It's about 15 miles north of Marquette. I was just up in that area a few days ago checking out some new sites. I drove over 80 miles onthe gravel roads in the Hurons. I will be back up on June 7th to do some serious gold prospecting. Another town to try that doesn't seem to have been hit too hard would be Clowry, near Humbolt off the Wolf Lake Road.

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that a church would have the name Witch on it? :icon_scratch:

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
dont bother eggyOG ill have it all cleared out over the weekend, and my buddy has been working it from the west end, i was up 2 weeks ago and didnt take my pans, figured the water would be to fast, didnt think about the seasonal streams, hope the small one are still running this weekend, working off 510

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
The streams were workable. I use a pan to scout, I won't say what I use to prospect, let's just say I do some SERIOUS prospecting. If you have a place to go off the beaten path, let's get together and move some ridiculous amounts of material. If you are going anywhere off 510, I was probably there last weekend.

OP
OP
M

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Thompy,
I'll let you know when I am heading up to Loma. If you are around maybe we could hit Birch or Loma Farms.
Also, do you know where I can get a map of Birch?

Todd/Makton

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
I didnt relize it was you on the other forum, will see what i can find, like a mentioned had a bunch on mags that i was saving on that hole area, wife must have thrown them out, Birch had a population of 600 during 1909, ghost town by 1920. ill be heading up again in 2 weeks, i believe the book upper michigan gold mines had a basic map of the town and mine location, I gave the book back to my father, need to order a new one, his is autographed by the author

Author Man

Jan 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
I've gone to the Witch lake Baptist church off and on for years since I live a couple miles from there. I had to laugh when you brought that up about Witch in the title. I guess I agree......Gene

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread