anyone in the wickenburgh,az area?

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
im looking for someone that's in my area to show me what to look for when prospecting. im 28 yrs old and don't mind doing all the hard work. ill help you work on your claim or unclaimed land doesn't matter to me im not looking for someone to find it for me. im honest and hard working. half the fun will be finding it for myself just wanting some pointers. please reply or private message me with any questions or comments. I work at palo verde nuclear plant so that should tell you im trustworthy.
thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Around Rich Hill look for the Epidote and ruby quartz float.

In the Little San Domingo look around ironstone outcrops. Stay south of the dike swarm above the dam on LSD.

Vulture/Red Basin area is about small gold unless you are Uncle Ron. :laughing7:

Aguila and the Belmonts just north and west of you have some small scattered placers.

In all of these areas drywashing was the best way to get gold every time you go out. Now with the rains it's metal detecting time until things dry out. Stick to areas with shallow bedrock and heavy mineral accumulations for best results when detecting.

Don't bother with "inside of the bend" or any other water theories about gold deposition. Stay out of the washes - it's been done.

This is the desert, gold is where you find it. When you find it keep looking at that spot for more. Gold here lives in family groups called "patches" if you found one it's family members are nearby. Until you find gold keep moving and Sample Sample Sample.

But first check the land status and look for claims before you go out to prospect. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
You can also look for "Desert Pavement" on flats and gentle slopes. Places where the gold has been concentrated by wind removing materials instead of water. Often called Eluvial (spelling?) placers. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll forward you some articles on them.

SandomingoJim

Sep 8, 2016
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM 1000, Whites Goldmaster II, Tesoro Bandido II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Around Rich Hill look for the Epidote and ruby quartz float.

In the Little San Domingo look around ironstone outcrops. Stay south of the dike swarm above the dam on LSD.

Vulture/Red Basin area is about small gold unless you are Uncle Ron. :laughing7:

Aguila and the Belmonts just north and west of you have some small scattered placers.

In all of these areas drywashing was the best way to get gold every time you go out. Now with the rains it's metal detecting time until things dry out. Stick to areas with shallow bedrock and heavy mineral accumulations for best results when detecting.

Don't bother with "inside of the bend" or any other water theories about gold deposition. Stay out of the washes - it's been done.

This is the desert, gold is where you find it. When you find it keep looking at that spot for more. Gold here lives in family groups called "patches" if you found one it's family members are nearby. Until you find gold keep moving and Sample Sample Sample.

But first check the land status and look for claims before you go out to prospect. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Hi Clay
When you mention the dam on LSD, are you talking about the one in the southwest corner of section 21.?? Looks like they dammed it up to make a pond. I remember seeing the dam years ago on the San Domingo wash that Sanger built about 1910 or so. Nice little drop off where it had filled up to the top with sand.
I'm really enjoying reading the posts here. I too am attempting to do my research on the LSD area, even though I have spent years out there with my hit and miss methods. LOL
Haven't seen any recent posts from AZBlackBird, maybe he is out digging some of the AU that he has done his home work on. Thanks and may your pans show lots of yellar. Jim

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Clay
When you mention the dam on LSD, are you talking about the one in the southwest corner of section 21.?? Looks like they dammed it up to make a pond. I remember seeing the dam years ago on the San Domingo wash that Sanger built about 1910 or so. Nice little drop off where it had filled up to the top with sand.
I'm really enjoying reading the posts here. I too am attempting to do my research on the LSD area, even though I have spent years out there with my hit and miss methods. LOL
Haven't seen any recent posts from AZBlackBird, maybe he is out digging some of the AU that he has done his home work on. Thanks and may your pans show lots of yellar. Jim

The Dike swarm is above the dam on private property in 7N 3W Section 21. The gold bearing Quaternary gravels leave the wash area and are found northeast of Little San Domingo above there. You can see them exposed on the undercut bank just below the house and to the east of the house.

The geology changes considerably just north of that dam. Interesting geology in the swarm that produces a lot of mixed minerals. All the way from perlite to massive copper nuggets and Beryl. There very little gold up there though. Bigger nuggets (1 ounce) have been found in the swarm very occasionally but very little smaller gold. It's not the best area for gold prospecting. Try to the southwest or east northeast and you will have better luck.

Sanger's dam for the Lotawana placer is much further southwest on San Domingo wash. He didn't even get a season of use before the dam filled up with silt. :BangHead:

Haven't heard from AZBlackBird in quite a while. I seem to recall he posted on one of the forums that he had a few years work to do away from the gold fields. Hopefully when the job is done he will return to posting here. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to head out that way again here soon. Either rich hill or lsd.

SandomingoJim

Sep 8, 2016
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck to ya, hope you find lots of AU. :icon_thumleft: Jim

SandomingoJim

Sep 8, 2016
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Dike swarm is above the dam on private property in 7N 3W Section 21. The gold bearing Quaternary gravels leave the wash area and are found northeast of Little San Domingo above there. You can see them exposed on the undercut bank just below the house and to the east of the house.

The geology changes considerably just north of that dam. Interesting geology in the swarm that produces a lot of mixed minerals. All the way from perlite to massive copper nuggets and Beryl. There very little gold up there though. Bigger nuggets (1 ounce) have been found in the swarm very occasionally but very little smaller gold. It's not the best area for gold prospecting. Try to the southwest or east northeast and you will have better luck.

Sanger's dam for the Lotawana placer is much further southwest on San Domingo wash. He didn't even get a season of use before the dam filled up with silt. :BangHead:

Haven't heard from AZBlackBird in quite a while. I seem to recall he posted on one of the forums that he had a few years work to do away from the gold fields. Hopefully when the job is done he will return to posting here. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Clay,
Thanks for the info. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. It really helps us old prospectors a bunch. :notworthy:

chef440rt

May 2, 2014
central MA
Detector(s) used
Keen 4'' dredge with race car stickers to make it pump faster.
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also heading out that way in February for two weeks with two other prospecting buddies. Can't wait, it will be an unforgettable adventure. We are also looking for someone to head us in the right direction and help us get some good footage for an episode of my gold show American Gold Prospectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread