Anyone know how to melt copper?

OP
OP
rferris75

rferris75

May 1, 2008
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm III, Ace 250
Ok let me go a little further with this I dont want to melt pennies I want to know how to melt copper to pour into a mold

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior
thats better melting penneis is illegal lmao wish it wasnt but it is

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Copper melts at 1878 degrees to get a nice pour without coldlaps. If the metal isn't hot enough it will chill and fold over it's self leaving flaws and or porosity. At that temp steel will weaken or melt so a stone pot or crucible must be used. Simple flame will not reach the temp you need so it must be accelerated with a bellows or blower, this means forcing the atomised fuel air mixture thorough a venturi under pressure. You must then be able to lift the pot and molten metal together and pour it in one smooth pour into your mold or die. Gravity must be considered in your decision as to were the material enters the mold. if for instance you were casting a mini statue of liberty and you poured into the head the up streached arm would not fill. The entry point of the mold must be the highest point of that mold. DO NOT allow moisture into the molten material or to be present in the mold, IT WILL EXPLODE. This includes waxes or mold release agents. Now on a small scale you may be able to make a small plaster of paris bowl and melt the material with a oxy acetylene cutting torch. The odds are with you for success but quality may not be great. Again any moisture will convert to steam and violently throw bits of mold and molten copper in all directions with extreme velocity. Molten metal sticks and burns till it cools, it does not wipe off it does not pass go and collect 200 dollars.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any moisture will convert to steam and violently throw bits of mold and molten copper in all directions with extreme velocity.

Boy, ain't that the truth - it'll put a hole in your welding helmet.

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread