tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That white inclusion is odd. I'm guessing this sculpture of what looks like a cow that breed with a pig maybe came from a Mexican souvenir market. The stone could be labeled as Jet, Black Onyx, Black Marble or Obsidian as I've seen and heard people describe this black rock in several ways.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming that inclusion is a natural feature of the rock, it would appear to be ‘chrysanthemum stone’. It’s a Permian-age rock with a matrix that is often black limestone with high amounts of organic carbon but can also be dolomite, gypsum clay, or porphyry. High temperature and pressure formation causes it to have flower or star shaped white crystalline deposits that are usually andalusite but can also be celestite, calcite or feldspar.

The black material comes mainly from Hubei Province in China and is prized for carvings sold to the ‘mystic crystal’ folk, as well as for horoscope and good luck figurines etc.

Here’s an unworked chunk out of my collection:

Chrysanthemum Stone.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jtw1313

jtw1313

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And that’s why I post here on the tnet thank you redcoat.
Rather than call it Jet, Black Onyx, Black Marble or Obsidian

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't find a bull, but here's a carved whale figurine:

Whale.jpg

Sometimes this stone is carved to bring up the 'chrysanthemum' in high relief if the crystallisation is pronounced. When not good enough for that, it's usually polished flat, like this:

Chrysanthemum Stone Polished.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread