cookie 5.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 243

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Love em...........as long as they are full of oatmeal cookies!

But seriously, cookie jars are highly collectable & it looks like you have some high dollar jars there! I especialy like the W.C. Fields jar, bet that cost ya a small fortune! Very nice collection Diggum! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy everything at a bargain price or I don't buy it. ;D Made by McCoy in the early 70's I believe, paid around $40 for it, not bad.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Yep if you can get them for cheap they are great collectibles. I only have one, a pot bellied stove, but for $4 at the thrift shop I think it was a steal. I go to estate auctions and cookie jars are almost always a hot item especially if the family members get in a bidding war for it. Sentimental value really drives up the price at the auctions.

HH Charlie

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
Yep if you can get them for cheap they are great collectibles. I only have one, a pot bellied stove, but for $4 at the thrift shop I think it was a steal. I go to estate auctions and cookie jars are almost always a hot item especially if the family members get in a bidding war for it. Sentimental value really drives up the price at the auctions.

HH Charlie
Is it the black potbellied stove or the white one? I have another dozen cookie jars and the pot bellied stove is one of them. I have the black one.

Attachments

• cookie 10.jpg
    cookie 10.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 601
  • cookie 8.jpg
    cookie 8.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 225
  • cookie 9.jpg
    cookie 9.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 244

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
This is what mine looks like (photo off web) my camera crapped out on me and I haven't replaced it yet but this is exactly the one we have. You have quite a collection, which one is the rarist?

Attachments

• cookie jar.jpg
    cookie jar.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 377
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most expensive to replace would probably be the W.C. Fields jar. The Elvis/Harley Davidson one cost me the most because the wife collects Elvis stuff so she had to have it. I used to have a "Hull" Little Red Ridin Hood and A Mammy jar from McCoy but I was given an offer I couldn't refuse so I sold them a few years ago.
A little hint- do not place a cookie jar in the dishwasher, it will remove the finish on many of them because the colors have been either "transferred" on (after the jar was glazed a decal was applied over the glaze and it was sent back to the kiln for another firing) or the older ones were "cold painted", cold painted means the paint has been applied after the glazing and firing process, It's hard to find cold painted cookie jars in mint condition. Also many of the newer jars made in China and such, like the repro mammy jar I have, the paint will be completely gone after it comes out of the dishwasher. I know from personal experience.

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was never really 'into' cookie jars.
Then a couple years back we went to a local estate auction. The woman was 103 years of age, lived in a 900 square foot house, and had more collectibles than I have ever seen in one place in my life!
They included nearly 400 cookie jars, and 750 'other' collectibles, along with LOTS of other stuff. Believe that I recall correctly that there were nearly a dozen china cabinets sold. I honestly don't know how she could move through the house?! (The auctioneer said there was a path from her bedroom to the bathroom and to the kitchen, and then just piles and stacks of stuff everywhere else)

Anyway, we ended up with about 30 cookie jars and numerous canister sets, simply from purchasing table lots containing other items we wanted. None were really scarce/valuable, tho she certainly had some of those which were sold individually. (One was the Cow Jumped Over the Moon, like the one you show)

I guess the most valuable that we have is the 'Evil Clown' jar

Evil Clown_front (798x800).jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread