Anyone mark their rolls w/info?

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My town is pretty small, but there are quite a few people who CRH here. I was thinking of putting a note in with my returned rolls, asking people who do this to call me, so we can get organized about which banks we use for dump banks, so we aren't wasting our time going thru each other's rolls.
Anyone else try this?
I see initials or people's names on rolls quite often, and the same names on rolls from other banks, so I know this is going on. Plus the tellers tell me this is happening quite a bit here.

Upvote 0

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I know alot of people mark their coins. That would be a good idea. The other day I was talking to the teller at my dumb bank and I asked her if the guy at the vault is pulling his hair out yet. She said "No there is some guy who come in and buys the bags of halfs to search them" Ouch! Poor guy.... I feel bad for him. (Look at my searched totals)

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ouch is right. One guy who does CRH here marks his rolls, but he missed 2 - 40% the other day. ;D

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Not everybody that marks rolls is a CRHer. The banks used to require anyone turning in rolled coin to put their acct # or name on rolls. In most cases this in no longer required but some people do it out of habit.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That's true. A new teller at my bank did make me write my name and number on some halves I cashed in a few weeks ago. I only did a few rolls, when a teller I knew came and told her she new me and that wasn't necessary. I usually write my initials on them anyway, just to see if they show up at a different bank. So far they have not.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a set of permanent markers. Right now, just before I re-wrap them I get them all neat in a row and put one stripe of the blue marker on the reeding of each coin. Take 5 extra seconds to do and so far I have not seen any of my coins come back in bank boxes.

I have seen some pretty complicated marking, three stripes on each side of the coin, outline of JFK in felt tip or red felt tip in his ear. All these take too much time to do.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I occasionaly mark my bi-cent. with blue marker on the reverse. I once gave a box of JFK a blue shirt. And I have found some of my marks, not often though. I reroll my shotgun rolls and mark them with a X on the center and I have come across them a time or 2. Made it easy to tell the teller "no I don't think I'll take those rolls". I know that there is another person CRH in my area but he is on the other side of the county and our paths don't cross to often. Since I mostly do boxes, he probably has more trouble with me than the other way around.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
I don't mark the rolls but when I do a large dump I will use a Sharpie and put the date on a impaired proof and turn it in. Sometimes it can take 3 or more months before I see that coin in a box again. I like using impaired proofs since the rims always catch your attention.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I went to a bank today I've never been to, and they had 3 rolls there. Sure enough, one of them was marked with my initials.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
In todays box I found someone who uses 2 black sharpies on the rims. It was disappointing the first few rolls thinking I was going to get skunked, but deeper in the box I found a few silver. I figure the person must have marked $300. What does marking the coins inside the wrapper get you? I can see marking the wrapper but not every coin.

ajf3

Greenie
Feb 1, 2007
Cashed some in at a National City branch the other day & they made me black out my info that I wrote on the rolls... said it couldn't be there for privacy reasons. Didn't even ask me for ID or an acct# either.

prizm II

Dec 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites prizm II
I mark the coins sometimes just to see if they ever come back to me, not yet. I only dump at the coin counter so no rolls to mark.

Fruitbat

Sep 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I just started marking some of the bi-cent I see. I use a blue sharpie to go around Kennedy's outline. Since I just started doing this a couple weeks ago I seen any come back. Of course I haven't had any time or $$$$ for hunting either. ;D

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I use to place a red or black mark on the edge of the coins pile them in an angle iron piece and run marker over it. lately I have been using red the black is getting hard to see. have gotten 1 roll back all the rest new. so far.

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
I mark with this treasurenet.com I did over 2000 in the last 6 weeks so keep a eye out

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Our bank will not take coins that are rolled. It's against their policy. They have counting machine at the branch and you have to take your coins there loose in bags.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
SwampHunter said:
Our bank will not take coins that are rolled. It's against their policy. They have counting machine at the branch and you have to take your coins there loose in bags.

Wow. Most banks here prefer them rolled, and out of all the dumps I've made, only once were they taken out of the rolls and counted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread