Anyone near Monterey, CA

cabal43

Greenie
Mar 1, 2011
I recently posted in the "New Users" section and didn't receive much response, so I thought I would try here.

I am brand new to the forum (read: unimportant), but I am very interested in metal detecting, and learning from someone in the area. Specifically, I am interested in learning about starting out in this hobby and finding a good detector for my area. As I see it, I need something that is not going to go haywire or turn to junk near salt water, and discriminate against types of metals.

While admittedly a novice, I have read a number of forum posts here and learned some tips for starting out... try the parks, sandboxes, abandoned lots... ask friends to check their yards, ask permission of landowners and troll around there... But none of this will hold a candle to meeting someone from the Monterey area to just show me how it is done.

If you are around here and interested... please post here or drop me a note.

Matt

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
30 min. away

I'm from Salinas, 30 min. away, and Monterey peninsula is my "stomping grounds". :hello: Drop me a line sometime, and ...... I'll show you what I can.

OP
OP
C

cabal43

Greenie
Mar 1, 2011
Just for the health of the thread and forum, I had already tired to contact Tom, and did so again after this invitation. Tom has so far graciously offered to assist me in learning a little bit about metal detection in Monterey, and I look forward to meeting him.

Hopefully I learn a lot, and have something to show for it when I post next time...

If anyone else is in the area, please don't hesitate to post. It would be fun to meet a couple other folks around here.

Ratman

Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get to meet up with (Tom) one of California's best treasure hunters and world renown . He's a Guru so your in good hands .

HH
Mike

OP
OP
C

cabal43

Greenie
Mar 1, 2011
Ratman said:
You get to meet up with (Tom) one of California's best treasure hunters and world renown . He's a Guru so your in good hands .

Really great to hear, thanks Mike. To be honest, I was really looking forward to just learning the basics, and right now I am an open book for someone with talent to write in. I'm not sure if Tom is embarrassed for ME that I asked for help without owning a detector yet, but I wanted to purchase something good at the recommendation of someone who knows.

If someone had offered to just invite me out and show me how to dig in a sandbox or park I would have been ecstatic... his offer to help thus far has been beyond my expectations.

Thank you for your interest int his thread as well. I think it is nice to see someone new rewarded with attention and advice. It could just as easily have been turned into a territorial shunning.

Matt

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is one of the best :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

cabal43

Greenie
Mar 1, 2011
Tom met up with me yesterday afternoon and showed me some basics. He displayed a intelligence and passion for detecting which I have to assume is of a seasoned veteran of the hobby. We dug up a few wheeties on a ballpark and then I had to go back to work. :(

He has provided me with invaluable information about the type of equipment I should be looking for, and so far I am learning towards the Explorer II, if I can find one in my area sometime in the near future. It is a little out of the price range I originally posted, but it seems like a great machine and I am dying to get started poking around my area for some practice.

Thanks for the post Kuger. What part of California are you in?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northern,but lived on San Benancio Rd.(near Mont) for many years

OP
OP
C

cabal43

Greenie
Mar 1, 2011
Well, great to meet you. You'll have to let me know if there are any old places around here to go detecting in once I figure things out :)

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same to you!!!I have a few,but never seem to get down there!!

BadM0nkey

Apr 28, 2013
Andover, NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE Limited Edition
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northern,but lived on San Benancio Rd.(near Mont) for many years

I live off of Corral de Tierra, technically Salinas but I always say Monterey since I am on The Peninsula.

bsnm8

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cabal, I too am just starting out, in fact ordered a machine just today, so I wouldn't be very helpful. But, when we both get our detectors perhaps we could meet up somewhere and make our mistakes in some company? If you are interested send me an email to gdae(at)rocket mail.com (fix the (at) before sending. I'm looking forward to searching some of the local beaches. I live very close to the NPS.

Willy

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Cabal, I too am just starting out, in fact ordered a machine just today, so I wouldn't be very helpful. But, when we both get our detectors perhaps we could meet up somewhere and make our mistakes in some company? If you are interested send me an email to gdae(at)rocket mail.com (fix the (at) before sending. I'm looking forward to searching some of the local beaches. I live very close to the NPS.

Willy

Willy, you realize this post is several years old, right? Those persons (the O.P. anyhow ?) is probably not even following this thread anymore.

But anyhow, welcome aboard. Sometimes the beach over-the-dune from NPS can be very lucrative, *IF* there's been high-surf/swell erosion :) Right now though, the ocean's been flat for a long time (at least nothing northwesterly to reach in that part of the bay). So right now, you're at the mercy of dry sand hunting, as the wet is probably sterile.

I'm leading a tour at Carmel mission tomorrow at 9:30am for a group of 4th graders, if you want to tag along :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread