Anyone Out There Looking for a Nice Rare Transitional 1652?

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Although she is pretty close to full weight the planchets and dies were probably
well used by the time this coin was struck. I will use less flash Transitional 52 OE less flash.jpg
How is this?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Dom, the pictures are much better. Being able to see the contrast between the details allows others to discern and decipher the various attributes that vary among the transitional types.

As a student of cob coinage, I'll offer up my opinion. The obverse (shield) is a Type A. A-P-8(not visible) / O-E-52 According to Dr. Menzel in his publication on transitional cob coinage, Type A is "virtually, always used with the reverse design of Types I to VII. Now, deciphering the details is always the challenge especially with obfuscated details. Of the seven types to consider, there are still minor varieties. The reverse shown is a Type VI known as Triple E's. The minor variety has a central dot in lieu of the "8" for the denomination.

Your description alluding to a Post Transitional reverse is incorrect. It is a Transitional Reverse. The many types can be confusing and having to consider the minor varieties can be overwhelming. There are some cob collectors who only specialize in Transitionals because there are so many.

Last edited:
OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Dom, the pictures are much better. Being able to see the contrast between the details allows others to discern and decipher the various attributes that vary among the transitional types.

As a student of cob coinage, I'll offer up my opinion. The obverse (shield) is a Type A. A-P-8(not visible) / O-E-52 According to Dr. Menzel in his publication on transitional cob coinage, Type A is "virtually, always used with the reverse design of Types I to VII. Now, deciphering the details is always the challenge especially with obfuscated details. Of the seven types to consider, there are still minor varieties. The reverse shown is a Type VI known as Triple E's. The minor variety has a central dot in lieu of the "8" for the denomination.

Your description alluding to a Post Transitional reverse is incorrect. It is a Transitional Reverse. The many types can be confusing and having to consider the minor varieties can be overwhelming. There are some cob collectors who only specialize in Transitionals because there are so many.

Thank you for your feed back.
I intentionally have left some encrustation on the coin.
Between the pillars sitting upon the waves is a 52 Date.
This is why I thought it to be post transitional vis-a-vi
almost the basic style of acceptable pillar strikes on future coins.
I have changed the listing explanation to "transitional" reverse.
She is a pretty coin.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thank you for your feed back.
I intentionally have left some encrustation on the coin.
Between the pillars sitting upon the waves is a 52 Date.
This is why I thought it to be post transitional vis-a-vi
almost the basic style of acceptable pillar strikes on future coins.
I have changed the listing explanation to "transitional" reverse.
She is a pretty coin.

Yes, the Triple E's have the date between the Pillars. I noted the "5" between the Pillars. FYI, the date between the Pillars began with the Type V and continues through to the the Type VIII.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Cob A - It is a Type V. It has the 52 between the Pillars and the date is visible on the border (7 o'clock). The top-left quadrant features an "F" which represented Phillip. The upper right quadrant features Roman numerals "IIII" represented Phillip IV. The obverse should be a Type A.

Cob B (Furthest to the Right) - Is the easiest. It is a Type VIII. The last of the transitional reverses. It has the familiar Pillar Wave style that we are used to post-transition, but it has the "1 PH 6" marking above the Pillars. Usually, it is represented as "1 [dot] PH [dot] 6". The 1 and the 6 represent the years and PH represents Phillip IV. Yours has [dot]1 PH 6 [dot]. I would like to see the obverse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Cob A - It is a Type V. It has the 52 between the Pillars and the date is visible on the border (7 o'clock). The top-left quadrant features an "F" which represented Phillip. The upper right quadrant features Roman numerals "IIII" represented Phillip IV. The obverse should be a Type A.

Cob B (Furthest to the Right) - Is the easiest. It is a Type VIII. The last of the transitional reverses. It has the familiar Pillar Wave style that we are used to post-transition, but it has the "1 PH 6" marking above the Pillars. Usually, it is represented as "1 [dot] PH [dot] 6". The 1 and the 6 represent the years and PH represents Phillip IV. Yours has [dot]1 PH 6 [dot]. I would like to see the obverse.
Post transitional 52.jpg

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/s...us-step-up-help-friend-who-deserves-help.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions