• COB  003 copy.jpg
    COB 003 copy.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 111

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Could be Mexican, but I am thinking Potosi or Columbian, early 1600s what ever it is. Strange patina, almost looks sand blasted and defintly seen some abuse. Hard to see any detail to tell exactly what it is. Maybe some of the experts will let us know what they think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought the same about origins, the cross arms look more like the south american coins,

(narrower?) owner says mexico. I am an absolute novice, so am ready to listen. Thanks!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd put the onus on the seller; if he can't properly ID the coin (can he authenticate it?) I'd only offer him the silver value--if it's silver. If the coin could be ID-ed then that's another story, but the condition of the coin seems to preclude identification. Personally, I'd 'pass' on the 'opportunity' to buy it.
Don.....

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
dagfoto, it is about impossible to tell where it is from. Remember all silver cobs that had a shield, had the Hapsburg shield up until 1700, then the Bourbon shield through 1715 I think. The coin in your reference link has T for Toledo, Spain, but that is CHARLES II Hapsburg, possibly, cob, which would date from 1665 to 1700. The new world cobs and old world cobs had the mark of the king of that era, no matter what part of the world. Unless really looking close on a cob, and hopefully in good shape, it is possible to at least tell from the shield which king was in rule. Other things will help to date it too, like a date, mint letter, or cross and assayer. This cob has cross with castile and leon, and a basic Hapsburg shield, seems to be pre Charles II, it appears to have fluer de lis instead of trumpets in the New Burgandy section, but I am not sure if that was ever not like that in a pre charles II. but hard to date. That is why I feel it is early 1600, and the cross appears not to be Mexican, but still cant tell. There are so many variations in cobs and all the different denominations, and mints, that unless it is in good shape it is very hard to tell much. This cob is in very poor shape to figure anything from. It looks like it was beat between 2 concrete blocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
"the cross appears not to be Mexican, but still cant tell. There are so many variations in cobs and all the different denominations, and mints, that unless it is in good shape it is very hard to tell much. This cob is in very poor shape to figure anything from. It looks like it was beat between 2 concrete blocks."
Thanks everyone!
I know the owner and believe it authentic.
I would like an 8 reale in my collection, anyone throw a dollar value out so we can make a trade??? Best wishes, Herbie.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Real Reale !!!! ...congrats .

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here are my thoughts on the piece. It isn't Mexico, pretty comfortable in that id.
It is in pretty worn shape to make a positive ID, but some things I see make me lean towards,
Philip IV .- Seville Mint is my guess and yes details are hard to make out to be positive.
Value depends on the owner and then a buyer.
It isn't worth much, but is a nice hunk of old world silver and does have some history.
I would put a value of $50.00. Again, only my thoughts and value.
Good luck with it in whichever way you go, Some lessons pay off later :)

Last edited:

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
dagfoto, you could be right on the 2 shields. Just hard to make much out. Trez feels it is Spain minted too. I have to agree. I am just used to looking at New World minted cobs. If I found it I would keep it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread