Anyone own both AT pro and Excalibur II?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Upvote 0

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried my at pro on the salt beach and shallow water, but I didnt think it was my best choice for the situation. On a couple trips to the beach I let a friend use the at pro on the dry and wet sand and on the next trip I let him use my etrac on the beach, he bought an etrac, he said the etrac was much better on the beach for him. As for myself I use my excal ll in the surf and usually on the beach. Hope this helped, HH

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also, my cousin uses the at pro on fresh water lakes here around DFW and has good luck with it, HH

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks! Would you say your finds are more with the excalibur than your AT?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro should be fine for fresh water unless: you need the absolute max depth in which case I would get a PI machine, or you need to hunt in water deeper than 10 feet and want discrimination, which is where the Excalibur will shine. The Excal should give you a little more depth than the AT also....not a lot but sometimes just and inch is the difference between a gold ring in your pouch and nothing. All the Minelab's are great on the beach or real shallow water.....Sov, Explorer, E-trac, CTX3030. I don't use the AT Pro here on my salt water beaches because to get them stable, you lose too much depth.

OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Ok so it's just depth that will more less be the factor against the two and anything in my path that the excal will pick up, the AT pro will also? As long as its in depth reading of the AT? Or is the multi frequency of the excal going to sniff out more gold where the AT may skip over being a single frequency. ??

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an atp but sold it. If your just in freshwater the pro is a good machine. Excal excels in salt and freshwater. My favorite land machine is the Etrac.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so it's just depth that will more less be the factor against the two and anything in my path that the excal will pick up, the AT pro will also? As long as its in depth reading of the AT? Or is the multi frequency of the excal going to sniff out more gold where the AT may skip over being a single frequency. ??
In bad ground, that would probably factor in too. At the bottom of a lake where you just have some silt or mud, not so much unless there is a lot of mineralization in that muck. It's mainly depth and stablization that make the Excal slightly better in fresh water. That and the ability to dive deeper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread