Anyone read Chinese? Silver ring found

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Found this today in an old house yard. The red part is rubber? I think. Ring is fairly heavy at 9 grams, and clearly made of silver. Of course, it is marked "Silver", which I have not seen before. I am guessing this was used on Asian export material maybe around WWII? The leaves on the side are extremely ornate and intracate. It is damaged, and needs a better cleaning.
Can anyone read what the symbol reads? I was going to give it to the home owner as a thank you for hunting the property, and wanted to give them the information. I assume Chinese?
Thanks for the help,
Jon Dickinson.
P.S.- Does PBK know Chinese?

Attachments

• 52609a.jpg
    52609a.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 506
  • 52609b.jpg
    52609b.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 500
  • 52609c.jpg
    52609c.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0

Spartacus

Aug 17, 2007
It means "Ting" on behalf of long life. I asked someone to translate it for me. Nice ring too!!!

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Thats a cool ring!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I believe that the red material in your ring is Cinnabar.

Cinnabar has been used for its color in the new world since the Olmec culture.[10] Cinnabar was often used in royal burial chambers during the peak of Mayan civilization. The red stone was inserted into limestone sarcophagi, both as a decoration and, more importantly, to deter vandals and thieves with its well-known toxicity.[11]

The most popularly known use of cinnabar is in Chinese carved lacquerware, a technique that apparently originated in the Song Dynasty.[12] The danger of mercury poisoning may be reduced in ancient lacquerware by entraining the powdered pigment in lacquer,[13] but could still pose an environmental hazard if the pieces were accidentally destroyed. In the modern jewelry industry, the toxic pigment is replaced by a resin-based polymer that approximates the appearance of pigmented lacquer.

Your ring looks really old and my guess it is from China. I'm no expert.....it's just my opinion! Beautiful find! :icon_thumright:

HH,
Moon

Attachments

• Cinnabar ring.jpg
    Cinnabar ring.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Cinnabar ring 2.jpg
    Cinnabar ring 2.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 250
OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for the great information on the ring. This is a great forum, and so full of information and helpful people. I wish I could contribute more to others posts......
How would I know it is cinnabar and not rubber?
Ting- Awesome. When I found the ring, I walked over and gave it to the owner. Within the next minute, she got a phone call that she was waiting for a year, and it was extremely good news. She thought it must mean good luck, but long life is just as good or better.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Some info, an early say 1900 through 1930 china import most likely. Cinnabar is also used as the term for the color. Were such was used as a material for such, a different technique was used later. They would lacquer in layers to build up the form and color was added to do so to mimic cinnabar. Was easy to carve. Note most cinnabar is the lacquer variety and not mercury ore. The silver, or plated silver (Yours looks like silver) is of a lower grade than sterling most of the time. Usually 800 or so. Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread