anyone scored a box of 2009 nickels or dimes yet?

Ifyndit

Dec 15, 2007
The Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Corte's, Golden Sabre II, Minelab X-Terra50
I keep asking at my banks, no luck yet. I figured if you could score a $100 box of nickels you would make close to $5,000 profit! 2009 rolls of nickels are selling for $100+ a roll on eBay.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:
i ask every week, so far nothing. wonder where these coins are? i have not found a one in circulation or at the banks yet.

Same here......nothing! Like you, I ask often.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Silvercop,

It takes an old beat cop to track down one of them boxes. I got a box of the 2009 P Dimes. The last of them sold on ebay last night. Highest bid for a roll was $65.00.
I've bought 30 boxes of dimes this month in an attempt to retrace my steps and find the source bank. I've finally narrowed it down to one that I will hit Monday.
The following is how I believe I acquired them.

I was hunting in an area that was once good, but has since dried up. After getting no halves that day I decided to pick up some dimes.

I went to this one bank where the tellers are particularly rude and obnoxious. The teller gave me the third degree after I asked for the dimes.
Do you have an account here? Do you have a business? What do you want so many dime for? Etc. I showed her the $250.00. Told her that I have an account, and told her to just do her job, and get me a box of dimes.
Now I'm sure she knows that I was just looking for silver. She went in the vault and took an unusually long time to get the dimes. When she appeared with the dimes she forked them over with an evil grin on her mug.
When I left the bank I checked out the dimes,and saw that they were all new and shiny. Sh#$ ! A skunk box. That old hag was probably taking so long in the vault because she was looking for a new box with no silver.
I ended up buying 8-10 boxes of dimes that day. After I got home to check out the boxes I saved that one for last, knowing that it was a skunk.
I did notice that they were 2009's as I was tossing them into my dump can. I had no idea that they had any value.

The following day was a dump day for me but I only had time to get rid of the halves,and would get rid of the dimes the next day.
That evening a tornado struck,downing trees and power lines. I had no power for four days and stuck around the house just in case the cannibals from the city decided to ransack the neighborhood. As I'm sitting in the dark I'm wondering if those new dimes are worth anything,like the other new coins. I have no phone or internet so I have no one to ask.

When the power came back, I found out that they were worth big bucks. I called my eldest son ScubaSteve (a fellow CRHer) who does the ebay thing. I asked him to put them up for auction and we will go 50/50/ on the take.
Well we did pretty good.
Like a medieval alchemist I turned my clad into gold , buying some coins with the profit.

Bought a few boxes of nickels looking for them with no luck so far.

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
good one steve. i liked the way it backfired on the teller and worked out for your good. i know they are selling good on feebay, and i have had pretty good luck finding the new penny boxes, but i cant get any nickels or dimes. you were lucky and yea i believe the teller was trying to skunk you. after all this is over you ought to go down there and tell her about all the money you made selling those 2009 coins she gave you on feebay. that would get her goat.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
silvercop said:
good one steve. i liked the way it backfired on the teller and worked out for your good. i know they are selling good on feebay, and i have had pretty good luck finding the new penny boxes, but i cant get any nickels or dimes. you were lucky and yea i believe the teller was trying to skunk you. after all this is over you ought to go down there and tell her about all the money you made selling those 2009 coins she gave you on feebay. that would get her goat.

I agree

You should consider taking here some flowers and than tell her about your good fortune. I'll bet she'd be red faced.

Mojo

OP
OP
silvercop

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
got my 2009 silver and clad proof sets from the mint yesterday. first time i have even seen a 2009 nickel or dime.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Mistergee,

Scooba Steve is my eldest son. It took me a while to figure out which bank I got those dimes from. 30 banks and boxes later I narrowed it down to the bank on Nosilver Lane in Skunktown, Connecticut. Believe it or not I have not been back there yet. Since I'm having a late start for a productive hunt. I think I'll go there today. I'll ask the teller not to give me a shiny box of dimes. That might get me one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread