Anyone see that Golden Umax go for 800$!

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
G

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A detector that really can give you an edge on pull tabs while not killing your gold odds at the same rate really is special. Too bad I never really believed it back when they were available, I wish I'd bought one. I am believing after what I have been reading the last couple of years that maybe the Golden does tilt the odds a little in your favor.

I cant imagine that the Golden notch feature is any better than say the Racer 2's, or just about any decent notch on any modern machine(especially in the 800$ range). Its just a notch.. I know it hits hard on gold but if your looking for gold your gonna dig trash, even with the Golden your going to get some trash.

There is really no reason to be paying these crazy prices. All these people have done is crank the price up on a used.. un-serviceable machine. :angry5:

I was hoping to buy one in just the next couple months.. thats what made me check the "Bay" in hopes of finding a good deal. Looks like I might be waiting a while, but even if I did find one at say (what they used to go for) 300$+/- ... I'd sell it asap for 700-800$ without even taking it out..

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is possibly more to it than that, judging from what Tabman and others have written about theirs. I have a little Fisher F2 that has simple notching and tones, and actually yes it seems to be great on jewelry and coins, and it seems to predict tabs pretty well. I would like to have a Golden to try but I am not paying over $400 for a used one and probably not over 350. So I guess I won't be getting one.

OP
OP
G

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is possibly more to it than that, judging from what Tabman and others have written about theirs. I have a little Fisher F2 that has simple notching and tones, and actually yes it seems to be great on jewelry and coins, and it seems to predict tabs pretty well. I would like to have a Golden to try but I am not paying over $400 for a used one and probably not over 350. So I guess I won't be getting one.

While I dont doubt Tabman and others view on the Golden, I do doubt that a Golden is worth 800$. I did find almost 800$ in gold last year with my Bandido, but would I pay 800$ for one? Maybe if it tripled my gold finds.. but I have my doubts. My bandido II umax is 10 khz just the same as the Golden, so I wonder if the Golden would have hit the rings I dug any harder?

I'm just skeptical.

Edit- This is what I heard years ago - The notch feature making a duck sound on foil range gold.

I could see how that could be cool.

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I dont doubt Tabman and others view on the Golden, I do doubt that a Golden is worth 800$. I did find almost 800$ in gold last year with my Bandido, but would I pay 800$ for one? Maybe if it tripled my gold finds.. but I have my doubts. My bandido II umax is 10 khz just the same as the Golden, so I wonder if the Golden would have hit the rings I dug any harder?

I'm just skeptical.

Edit- This is what I heard years ago - The notch feature making a duck sound on foil range gold.

I could see how that could be cool.

I wonder what 53 silver would weigh in on what he would pay to have a Golden back if he ever gave his up?? As well, with what others have mentioned on how well the 3-4 tones work with this lil machine and how great on how it works on gold, I imagine his well done videos have lead to a consumer craze on what one would pay for as for me what walnut has mentioned any used to good Tesoro medal detector say the Eldorado, Bandido II, and even the Golden I would pay $350 to excellent condition$400 tops, desperate $500 max for just the Golden out of these three metal detectors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya know what I thought was weird, was when one sold for 690$ (Oct 2) and I checked the "Buy It Now" sold history, there was one in there that went for around 225$ (Sept 24) if I believe. I thought "what the heck! these people are crazy! can they not see these go for much less than 700$!"..

These people know something we dont?

Dont know if its wrong to post an ebay ENDED listing or not but here goes.. sorry if its not allowed.
Teseoro Golden micro max metal detector | eBay

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys want to know something funny, I was watching that auction from the first hour. Been thinking hard about a dedicated ring machine and a GoldenmicroMax/3"x18" cleansweep was what I had been seriously considering. So much so that I thought for a few days about dropping a rediculous amount into a bid. I would have won had I wanted it bad enough.

I just couldn't bring myself to do it for a cleansweep coil when that's really what I wanted. I was close to jumping in, too bad for the seller I noticed something else up for grabs I long considered a field proven superior unit. Screw the coil! I'm already finding rings with 3 different machines. Don't really need a 4th one. I also don't like to buy used equipment if I can avoid it. So that was another consideration causing hesitation. Had the machine been new I might have paid a premium price just because of that...just like I probably did for the unit I bought. Don't really care because my finds bought it.

In the end I think I used my better judgement. I feel they're just not worth those prices, except perhaps if new in box.

So I believe there is a percieved need among some dedicated jewelry detectorists to find any edge they can at nearly any price.

Combine that with limited availability, someone well respected nudging the herd, a video on notching, and this is what greed produces.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya know what I thought was weird, was when one sold for 690$ (Oct 2) and I checked the "Buy It Now" sold history, there was one in there that went for around 225$ (Sept 24) if I believe. I thought "what the heck! these people are crazy! can they not see these go for much less than 700$!"..

These people know something we dont?

Dont know if its wrong to post an ebay ENDED listing or not but here goes.. sorry if its not allowed.
Teseoro Golden micro max metal detector | eBay

The poor guy who sold his Golden µMax "Buy It Now" for $225 didn't know its true worth and would have gotten a lot more if he had put it up for auction. I wished that I would have seen it first, because I'd buy Golden µMax detectors all day long at price. I've bought some stuff at estate and garage sales that people didn't have a clue of its real worth.

tabman

fltacoma

Mar 6, 2014
shreveport, la
Detector(s) used
All current Tesoro Metal Detectors including Bandido II Umax and Silver Sabre Umax. In other words, way too many Tesoro's lol
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't the Cortes do the same thing as the golden except with only one tone?

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't the Cortes do the same thing as the golden except with only one tone?

Cortes boasts NINE TONES in the "SUM" mode. They're a pretty cool Tesoro, but with a somewhat steeper learning curve.

OP
OP
G

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The poor guy who sold his Golden µMax "Buy It Now" for $225 didn't know its true worth and would have gotten a lot more if he had put it up for auction. I wished that I would have seen it first, because I'd buy Golden µMax detectors all day long at price. I've bought some stuff at estate and garage sales that people didn't have a clue of its real worth.

tabman

Your not joking there.. I missed that 225$ by like two days! And it would have been mine! But its not..

OP
OP
G

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Combine that with limited availability, someone well respected nudging the herd, a video on notching, and this is what greed produces.

Whos doing the nudging I wonder? I doubt the video I posted from 53silver had anything to do with the pricing, its a four year old video. Two Goldens had sold at 690$ and 800$ before the post started on Oct 27.

Maybe it was just a lack of them and the demand started to rise?

/beatdeadhorse

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One Golden uMax went for US $346, right near the nice $350 mark where they should be going for this used machine, glad to see that it did not go for more that that and what some of sold in the past.

walnut

Jan 29, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The boom seems to be losing steam I think.

There will definitely always be interest in them.

oneton

Jul 24, 2006
LOUISIANA
No the goldens are not worth $800.00 i would not even pay $500.00 they have sorry sorry depth maybe 6-8 inches . people get into bidding wars on freebay this is the only reason they sell for a high price. Is the golden worth that heck no, and after they went through a crazy bidding ordeal then they say what the heck i done. I have seen the troy shadow x2 go twice as deep as the golden and the shadow x2 can be had for $350.00 or less.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Cortes boasts NINE TONES in the "SUM" mode. They're a pretty cool Tesoro, but with a somewhat steeper learning curve.

I would love to try a Cortez, but The price seems high for a detector that will not let you adjust GB while in disc mode.

oneton

Jul 24, 2006
LOUISIANA
I have been wanting a cortes for a while now.With all the knobs this thing should be great but like you said no gb in dics mode and from what i have been hearing and youtube videos it has problems in disc mode .I seen a youtube video where it calls all kinds of cut metal and other metal coins at 95 i was so confused maybe his notch should have been set to narrow instead of wide but it still should not call metal as coins .I am so messed up on this cortes i started to by a used one just to see myself . Then again i hear people say its the best they ever had so this rly confuses me,what do you think about the cortes?

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been wanting a cortes for a while now.With all the knobs this thing should be great but like you said no gb in dics mode and from what i have been hearing and youtube videos it has problems in disc mode .I seen a youtube video where it calls all kinds of cut metal and other metal coins at 95 i was so confused maybe his notch should have been set to narrow instead of wide but it still should not call metal as coins .I am so messed up on this cortes i started to by a used one just to see myself . Then again i hear people say its the best they ever had so this rly confuses me,what do you think about the cortes?

Well it's little brother the Deleon has been great to me. I use it as a coin shooter. No sum mode or notch but it does get jumpy with trash. Whole cans will still show 95 but when it says it's a penny, it's a penny. When it says silver coin solid on graph and on never as well as round tone, it's a quarter, dime, or silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread