Anyone shooting a Remmington 700?

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
I've been thinking about picking up a Remmington 700 as a long range target rifle do any of you guys own one? I cant decide on the caliber or model, i'm leaning towards .308 but .223 is a lot cheaper to shoot but the trade off is losing distance and accuracy, they also make a 30.06 and about a dozen other calibres but I figure it would make more sense to go .308 over 30.06. I really like the quantity of accessories that is on the market for them. I think I might have to go desert camo synthetic stock with bi-pod and a Leupold scope. ;D

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are only going to buy one, then go with the .308. Great rifles, I've owned and shot many over the years.

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys it will be a long range target rifle. Im not hunter mainly because Im not a fan of deer meat and dont feel like carrying them out of the woods. ;D So I stick with paper targets or watermelons. I was suprised how cheap you can pick them up for and all the reviews i've read on them seem to say they are one of the best target rifles and used by 90% of police snipers and issued to military snipers with a few additional mods.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
Thanks guys it will be a long range target rifle. Im not hunter mainly because Im not a fan of deer meat and dont feel like carrying them out of the woods. ;D So I stick with paper targets or watermelons. I was suprised how cheap you can pick them up for and all the reviews i've read on them seem to say they are one of the best target rifles and used by 90% of police snipers and issued to military snipers with a few additional mods.

I like moving targets at long distances. A stainless gun that I can keep hunting with and not clean during the season due to scent. 7mm Rem Mag is a good long distance knock down and the original A-Bolt by Browning is pretty sweet. I have sold a lot of the old sniper redfield viet nam era scopes for people rigging out sniper guns. I have a target master not with top turrets. My opinion is its all in the optics and round and use a heavy barrel if you can handle it. And learn to breath. Good luck on a fun projects

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
TnMountains said:
Jimmy(PA) said:

I like moving targets at long distances. A stainless gun that I can keep hunting with and not clean during the season due to scent. 7mm Rem Mag is a good long distance knock down and the original A-Bolt by Browning is pretty sweet. I have sold a lot of the old sniper redfield viet nam era scopes for people rigging out sniper guns. I have a target master not with top turrets. My opinion is its all in the optics and round and use a heavy barrel if you can handle it. And learn to breath. Good luck on a fun projects

What do you think is the best long distance round for the 700? .308 seems like it can get pricey its upwards of a dollar a round.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to be shooting a lot of ANY caliber, maybe you should think of reloading. If you take this route, get your hands on all of the primers you can find and afford. A few years ago, primers got real scarce because the government claimed priority for them to go to the manufacturers of military ammo. My brother in law, who was a cop, couldn't get his hands on any, nor could his buddy who was a licensed gun dealer. When properly stored, they should last almost indefinitely.

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I have a Remington Woodsmaster 760 in 30.06. As far as a good all purpose deer gun, I would take it over anything else. I am not sure why people lean more towards the .308, considering that the 30.06 has been one of the most popular rounds in history.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I shoot a Remington 700, and have for 20 plus years. I love mine. It is chambred in .270, which is a 30-06 cartridge necked down to 27 caliber. Excellent long distance rifle. I have reloaded most of my ammo and have shot 1000 meter targets with it. If you are not going to carry it much, then I would recommend a heavy barrell for target shooting. Mine is a sporter 700ADL.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Libralabsoldier said:
I have a Remington Woodsmaster 760 in 30.06. As far as a good all purpose deer gun, I would take it over anything else. I am not sure why people lean more towards the .308, considering that the 30.06 has been one of the most popular rounds in history.

Your are right about the 30-06. It is manufactured in more different bullet weights and is available everywhere you go in this country. So off the shelf supplies of ammo are easy to find.
I think a lot of the .308's popularity has come from all of the "sniper" movies and T.V. info programs about military snipers and their main rifle. Everybody wants to be a badass shooter and thinks that the rifle round is the secret. ;D

I noticed that one of Jimmy's choices was a .223; for long shooting. :icon_scratch: I believe the 22-250 would be a better choice with its higher muzzle velocity and higher energy at the muzzle.

If he gets into reloading, either the 30-06 or the .308 would be a good choice.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the question no one asked, 'What are you intending to shoot?' That does have a slight bearing on your choice of weapon or ammo.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN,

In his first post, he said "long range target shooting". He also mentioned getting a rifle with camo and tripod. I can see a tripod; I have one on my Ruger 77, 22-250 varmint rifle, but the camo doesn't effect shootability. Maybe he wants to be a faux-sniper. :dontknow: ;D

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Shortstack said:
RGINN,

In his first post, he said "long range target shooting". He also mentioned getting a rifle with camo and tripod. I can see a tripod; I have one on my Ruger 77, 22-250 varmint rifle, but the camo doesn't effect shootability. Maybe he wants to be a faux-sniper. :dontknow: ;D

Haha no fake sniper here, I like target shooting but I also like my equipment for any sport I participate in too look good. Its why I spend hours a week waxing and polishing my car, bikes, hockey skates. If im paying the same for a basic stock vs. a camo one I minds well look cool on the range. ;D

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
RGINN said:
And the question no one asked, 'What are you intending to shoot?' That does have a slight bearing on your choice of weapon or ammo.

Just targets, I was leaning towards .223 only due to the fact that the longest ranges here are only a few hundred yards and because its a cheap round to shoot.

OP
OP
Jimmy(PA)

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
I think the reason most people go with .308 is due to the fact that the government went to .308 on the m14 and its been considered one of the best issued rifles of all time and most police and military shooters use that round. Im not sure its so much wanting to be a sniper than the fact that you would assume its a better target round since it is used by so many marksman, plus its a NATO round and smaller cartridge with similar power. I might check out .30-06 prices at the shop tomorrow and see what the pricing difference is.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy, I was just pulling your chain about the faux sniper business. :D I enjoy the long distance shooting, too. Anyone can shoot a bulls eye on an indoor range, but when it comes to reliably hitting a mansized target at a thousand yards in natural terrain, not everyone can do it. When I went through basic training in 1965 at Ft. Jackson, I hit every 350 meter target but got "buck fever" and pull off a shot at a 50 meter target using the M-14. (embarrassing as hell). :laughing7: Of course, it was "on the clock" shooting, too. We only had seconds to identify which target came up, aim, and fire. The targets were set at 50 m., 100m, 150m, 200m, 250m, and 350m, on hilly, natural terrain. A lot of fun using that peepsight on those.

The NATO round is the 5.56 mm (.223 cal.) The .308 is a 7.62mm. I worked with the minigun that uses the 7.62 rounds and was told it was the same as the Winchester .308 cal. Sooooo, if you had access to military surplus 7.62 ball ammo, you'll be able to build up a supply of "fun" shooting ammo.

Check out the dealer named Cheaper Than Dirt. You'll find a lot of interesting equipment buys as well as ammo. They're based in Texas, I think and they do have a website by that same name.

Just have fun, and stock up on plenty of ammo before the government decides to tack a humongous excise tax on it.

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you .... more guns???? remember the paintball nonsense!?!?!?
O~M~G~!!!!
and merry christmas!!! K&A style! :occasion14: :occasion14: :violent1:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K*E*L*L*Y said:
O~M~G~!!!!

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :help: :dontknow:

And a MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!!!

K*E*L*L*Y

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
K*E*L*L*Y said:
O~M~G~!!!!

:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :help: :dontknow:

And a MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!!!

as in jim here... doesnt need a new gun!!! he shoots to much stuff with a little paintball
gun...HAHHAHHAH lolol
and the K&A thing is an inside joke..
more like... a .... um... well.. him and i have family from the same ghetto! and its an
Irish Catholic fighting area of PA. and the cross streets are called K&A.
and i was also adding in merry christmas! so yeah.... thats about it.... shortstack...
but merry christmas to you also! :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_santa: :icon_santa: i wasnt leaving you out. :icon_thumleft:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The paintball gun thing made me curious. Thanks for going above and beyond in clearing my "fog".
Happy New Year, too, KELLY. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread