Anyone tried a plastic spike/knife as a digging tool?

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I ran across this:

CS-92DDmedium.gif

http://www.fernknives.com/cold-steel/delta-dart/2186/index.html

And thought it might be a good replacement for my screwdriver. I've scratched alot of coins in my diggings, and it'd be a shame to scrape something valuable.

Thanks

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago I used a plastic backpacker's trowel. Was good in that I could wave a scoop behind the coil to see if it contained the coin. Was bad in that it was lousey in digging anything but soft. moist dirt. Rocks, roots, dry soil, even tight sod - fogeddaboudit.

Would be the cat's arse in sandy soil.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
If it will cut through a 1/2 inche piece of leather, don't you think it could also do damage to a coin?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the plastic. Instead use the screwdriver gently. Don't stab it in the ground to probe for the coin. I've used a brass rod with a handle that worked well and didn't scratch coins, but then had to change tools to pry it out which takes time. Course we're talking about just grass here.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a good image of it, but my probe is a steel rod rounded at the tip - like half a ball bearing. Doesn't scratch . . . badly. Anything pushing the dirt itself against the coin will cause scratches. Probe softly.

I'm no good at popping coins out with it unless they are less than 1/2" deep, but it comes in handy at times.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
around here when you buy a tent with plastic stakes you immediately go buy metal stakes to replace it since the plastic ones will either not go into the ground or they break when they do so the plastic tool would probably not be a good tool to use.....now when I lived in NW Washington I think the plastic would have worked nicely....wetter climate there and softer ground. Good luck with whatever you decide to use! :D

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
I actually have a couple versions of that plastic spike... they are often referred to as the "CIA letter openers". Post 9/11 I showed a couple to the Capital Police officers at the local courthouse. They were very unhappy that they didn't set off metal detectors or show up on x-ray equipment. (I accidentally took one in my backpack on a trip to vegas 6 months after 9/11 and they never saw it. I only found it when I got to my hotel room - after 3 enhanced security checkpoints)

They are hard/strong enough to hammer through a 2x4 pine block, so are probably hard enough to damage a coin (though not quite as bad as a metal screwdriver). I'd stick with the regular digging tool, screwdriver. Those little letter openers are a little too expensive to be wrecking as a digging tool. Go to sears, get a Craftsman screwdriver and wear it down to the nub... then bring it back and exchange it for a new one for free (Craftsman has an unconditional replacement warranty for "non-power" hand tools -screwdrivers, wrenches, etc)

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I picked one up last night and tried it out this morning.

I think it's pretty good. The sharpened point dug quite well even in tough soil, and my pinpointer doesn't detect it like it does a screwdriver.

We'll see how long till I break it, heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions