Metal Detecting in Yemen

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Can anyone lend a hand towards some links or former posts that could help in figuring out the metal detecting picture in that country? In short, my newstand guys are now fascinated with my metal detector, and they want one to take to their native country. I actually wrote an e-mail to their country's customs department but have not heard from them. So I'm seeking anything that could shed some light on bringing/using a metal detector in Yemen.

Thanks in advance,
Ricardo

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
most likely for mine detectiing or hidden arms caches---lots of both there----Ivan

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Whatever answer you get from an official in Yemen may not be the real skinny. I mean, it's a start, but a lot of time answers from a consolate or bureacrat don't reflect reality. Example: Many years ago Fisher Detectors published a Q&A column in their periodical. Someone had written in asking if they could detect in Mexico. Fisher answered the question by saying "No. Detecting is not allowed in Mexico, don't risk it, lest you end up in a Mexican jail, blah blah". In subsequent editions of that periodical, others wrote in saying "since when?" "where did you get this answer?" "we detect down there all the time, and no one's ever said anything to us?" Detectors are a common site on tourist beaches, and there are even dealers down there, in the bigger cities anyhow, for all the major brands (yup, even Fisher brand!). Fisher answered those who took exception with their answer, by publishing this followup article: They had gotten their answer by inquiring to the Mexican government! Doh! Like to a consolate, or Mexican lawyer or whoever. Now why that answer came back "no", is anyone's guess. Perhaps whatever desk-bound bureaucrat got that question on their desk, was thinking in terms of historic monuments, the pyramaids, shipwreck salvor laws, or who knows what.

Also bear in mind that whatever answer you get may be couched in terms of Yemen PUBLIC or Federal land. It may not apply to simply going to a fallow private farmer's field, with his permission.

You might try this question on some European sites, of countries that are closer to that country. Although they may be only fellow-hobbyists, and not a lawyer or whatever, yet they may know the real skinny, on if anyone really gives a hoot there. Nowadays there are becoming md'ing forums in a variety of languages. Not sure about small out-of-the-way countries like Yemen, but maybe something within striking distance of there.

Final note: I have also run into persons from middle-eastern countries, and most of them are very convinced that if they simply had a metal detector back in their home country, they'd be rich! This is also true of Mexican immigrants, who are certain there's a treasure in every cave, back-yard, etc... Point is, superstition in some cultures is rampant. It wouldn't stop me from wanting to detect in an ancient country like that though :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread