Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah Ha! that caught ya attention. Ya know as said before it is unusual we call lost cities lost? They do not walk off into the Forrest and get lost?:laughing7:

So the following lost...er forgotten city is from old Panama. It is not an ancient lost city by a rather modern one in the terms of ancient lost....er...Forgotten cities go.:laughing7:

Can you imagine being the possible first person to conclusively locate the remains of the first European city in South America, Founded by Balboa discover of the Pacific ocean?

Balboa.jpg

It is not lost native American city of the Maya or Incas or any other indigenous peoples. But the first Establish European city on the mainland of South America.

In September 1510, the first permanent European settlement, Santa Maria la Antigua del Darien on the Americas mainland was founded. Vasco Nunez de Balboa and Martin de Enciso agreed on the site near the mouth of the Tarena River on the Atlantic. Balboa maneuvered and was appointed Mayor on the first official cabildo abierto, (in English translation meaning municipal council) held on the mainland. On August 28, 1513, the Santa María de La Antigua del Darién mission was erected with Fray Juan de Quevedo as the first Catholic Bishop in the continental Americas.

It has been claim this early settlement obtained gold of the local native population though trade and by force so much that the natives lost patience with the Spaniards and when Santa María la Antigua del Darién was abandoned in 1519 and in 1524 was attacked and burned by the indigenous people.

in 1519 the settlement of old Panama began. Strange that I say old because that too was destroyed by Henry Morgan in 1671and abandoned in favor of the Present Panama City we have today

Balboa in the following document mentions the first settlement...

1-12-1521.jpg

Since 1524 the first Spanish settlement of mainland South America has been largely Forgotten. Yet later maps gave tantalizing images of the site.

0006993895.jpg

Perhaps a wonderful adventure awaits for the willing explorer to dare?

Map_of_the_Isthmus_of_Darien_and_Panama.jpg

But before any would be explorer pack his or her backs on should realize others have gone before and some have claimed to have located the site?

More importantly it is in what we call the forbidden zone near the borders of Columbia where Narcotics smugglers travel through the Forrest transporting drugs.

If ya can handle all those dangers in mosquito infested swamps and have a little bit of a death wish you may just make the discovery of a life time.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Crow

Good stuff chap.

Thanks for taking the time to get this thread going and putting together an interesting piece.

I'd never come across this one before. What I do recall, is the amazing golden objects dug from the Sitio site.

I also recall watching a very good BBC documentary about an a looted site on Panama's Caribbean coast where huge amounts of gold had been robbed from graves and they'd found old bottles (empty!) of rum! Obviously the indigenous folk had been trading.

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Continued....

I would say that in the present, you're more likely to uncover a rich site in Panama, Costa Rica or Colombia than Peru. By this I mean an intact treasure.

I have this really good book from the 1930s which detailed how adventures (I mean the term loosely) , 'dug' kilos and kilos of gold from old burial sites or simply swapped them for trivial nick-nacks.

I honestly believe that there is a 'special' site or two awaiting discovery.

IPUK

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Continued....

I would say that in the present, you're more likely to uncover a rich site in Panama, Costa Rica or Colombia than Peru. By this I mean an intact treasure.

I have this really good book from the 1930s which detailed how adventures (I mean the term loosely) , 'dug' kilos and kilos of gold from old burial sites or simply swapped them for trivial nick-nacks.

I honestly believe that there is a 'special' site or two awaiting discovery.

IPUK

City of "Z"...?

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello IPIU I would in some respect would not be too quick in writing off the City of Z legend altogether. Fawcett done major errors in his research as he was looking for Z representative Letter for an unknown city.However he was also a victim of his time without the technology today. He was never really sure what he was looking for based on assumptions.

Fawcett allegedy believed via the influence of document 512 from memory.

He believed rather erroneously thought that he would find a stone city some where in Mato Grasso in which he called Z.

In fact he may of been correct in the part of a lost city without ever knowing why? Because a few years ago Archeologist discovered whole network of mounds of village covering 150 square kilometers in upper Amazon basin near Brazilian and Bolivian frontier. Fawcett was looking for stone buildings and not a timber cities that existed. scientists believe this civilization was destroyed as small pox spread across south America. There is a report by one of first conquistadors that sailed down the Amazon reported big population of natives and large wooden villages with grass huts and large wooden walls.Of course in time the timber building and palisades rotted away and the emerald forrest took hold.

by the time the next group of explores came most settlements had be swallowed by the jungle and the survivors were back to smaller tribal groups scattered around the Amazon. Who still live there today. Today ya can see parts of road network and ceremonial areas. I have picture somewhere of some of the sites.

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crow

I understand what you mean, but the old colonel was looking for a city inhabited by 'white' 'lost' Europeans who had taught the 'savages ' civilization. I know of the structures uncovered but they could not really be described as very advanced. Not a reflection on the people that live in the rainforest, but simply about the environment.

IPUK

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello IPIU

That is true as that was a rather white superiority view that pervaded in many countries of world back then before WW2. Many could not accept the fact that societies can evolve into civilizations independently of each other. Fawcett was convinced of an ancient society perhaps Phoenician made there way to South America? He was big believer in Mu when he saw strange writing in Ceylon when in the Army and thought some of them was the same that was on Document 512.

Crow

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
no but I found "one" according to a old map (American rev war era) that can be found in the Georgia virtual vault site ---there once was a settlement /town /trading post -- that was on the Florida side of the St Mary's river --below what is modern day Folkston . GA. ----modern day highway US1 -- cross there today --the towns name was Anderson --I think.

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting back to Panama there was a river I can't recall its name. Nick name was River of Gold. The ancient cemetery was next the river back and erosion had exposed the artifacts from memory?

41392868.jpg

arts02a.gif

exhibit_711x313_gold.ashx.jpg

PR2.jpg

river_of_gold.jpg

The last one here is for sale.....

15285268_1_l.jpg

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one other Fawcett, he 'nearly' uncovered a great treasure hidden in Sri Lanka by its former kings similar to the one brought to light in South India worth billions, hidden in temple vaults a few years ago. Fawcett decided to focus on 'Z'.

IPUK

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright Crow

You referring to the river Sitio?

IPUK

I cannot remember could be? old Crow has killed many brain cells since then. Anyway I think the river was near where this original settlement was by the Spanish. It was in the Darian.

There is another lost settlement in the Darian a Scottish one.

As for Ceylon it used to be cheap place for Sapphires and Rubies and the odd diamonds. Fawcett for me a in part of victim of his own egocentricity. He was just another adventure junkie that could not settle down after military service. Any adventure at all costs.... And in the end he paid the ultimate price.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
no but I found "one" according to a old map (American rev war era) that can be found in the Georgia virtual vault site ---there once was a settlement /town /trading post -- that was on the Florida side of the St Mary's river --below what is modern day Folkston . GA. ----modern day highway US1 -- cross there today --the towns name was Anderson --I think.

Hello Ivan Interesting comment is it near that the site in picture? The site would be at least mid to late 18th century have you explored it?

View attachment 1061650

Crow

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
hum attachment wouldn't work --said invalid contact Admin..

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Ivan Salis Some times it just does that perhaps the size I posted is too big?

I will post again fingers crossed...

old trading post.jpg

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one other Fawcett, he 'nearly' uncovered a great treasure hidden in Sri Lanka by its former kings similar to the one brought to light in South India worth billions, hidden in temple vaults a few years ago. Fawcett decided to focus on 'Z'.

IPUK

thanks IPUK...just curious..i recall the south India find..but has there been a similar find in Sri Lanka ever since?

tintin treasure

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello tt

Here is an 1872 newspaper story about a small find of treasure in Ceylon as it was called back then.

Warwick Examiner and Times  Saturday 10 June 1876, page 1.jpg

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey TT

I am not aware of any great treasure being recovered from Sri Lanka, but of course that in itself means nothing.

The ancient kings and royalty valued gold, silver and precious gems. They also hoarded such items. Both for financial and religious reasons. More than likely, there will have been treasures recovered, but done do "behind the scenes ".

Even today, India and Sri Lanka can rightly br considered untapped territory for the most part regarding lost treasures. The other thing is, they started collecting, working and hoarding precious items before South American civilizations, they had a longer time period and viewed the ores and gems for their actual value.

Even today in old and long abandoned forts, palaces, mansions and temples, there are rumours always floating around of what might like beneath....

IPUK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions