anyone use this oldie --bobcat vlf --- just got one -- for $4 (slilver)

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
C&G made the Wildcat and the Bobcat. If my memory serves me well, it seems like Charlie Garrett had his hand in those two. The were vlf/tr's and worked pretty well, but were not as deep detecting as the big Fishers. Tesoros, White's and Garrrets of those days. The Bobcat was the smaller of the two C&G's and were lighter in weight. Either would make a good bachup but they were a bit on the coil heavy side. I believe one was blue in color and the other a reddish-brown.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its blue and I did a bit of reading up on it seems that the man who found tersoro design it -- back / loaner is its function with me

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
its blue and I did a bit of reading up on it seems that the man who found tersoro design it -- back / loaner is its function with me

Yep, I believe you are correct about Jack Gifford's involvement. I never used either of the Cats, but I do remember the folks who wrote the field tests reports for the THing magazines at the time saying they were excellent machines and that a large part of their value was in their small size. They were just right for backpacking into remote hunt sites. The other machines, at that time, were still being manufactured in the large rectangular metal cases. There was SOME movement to the plastic boxes, but no one else was anxious to get into the miniboxes. Gifford not only pioneered circuit advances, but also lead in the use of mini boxes for MD housing.

The Cats were out of my price range at the time, but I sure did WANT one. Pretty close to coveting, but not quite. ;D

When Tesoro introduced the Compadre a few years ago, the first thing I thought of when I saw one was, "That looks like one of the old Cats." I was visiting with Wayne Whitener in his shop in OKC that day and BOTH of us had the same thought.

Since this is the Bounty Hunter section, I'll mention that I have a Bounty Hunter Marauder XV VLF/TR that must have been ANOTHER Gifford design, because it, too, is just like the Cats physical design, but in shades of brown that would later be used by the Giffords as the brand color of the Tesoro line. I got this little dude from one of my Aunts. She and my Uncle bought it new, used it in their yard for about an hour, then put it back into it's original box and into the back of their closet. When I bought it from her about 10 years ago, it still had the original battery in the container. (they took it out of the machine thank goodness).

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looking forward to see how the old cat works --yep she works still --good workmanship back then

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread