Anyone want a new source of income by MDing?

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone want a new source of income by MD'ing?

Hello, i just read a great book called The Urban Treasure Hunter Really great book for those in the big cities. Also, it mentioned something interesting- searching the want adds for lost and found.

If your newspaper has the lost and found adds, you could really make in $, or help a great deal by finding lost items for people! Also, if your in suburbia, try pouting an ad in the section.

HH
-GC

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Re: Anyone want a new source of income by MD'ing?

There is a problem with trying to earn money from the Lost & Found section of the classifieds. You never know if the item has already been found and never returned, and you don't know if the reward will actually be paid. See, some of these folks will promise a reward and then fail to pay because they know the laws. Items lost are still the property of the person who lost them. So sometimes you will meet a guy/gal who knows this and won't pay despite the reward mentioned in the ad. Others don't know the laws but refuse to pay anyhow.

A better approach might be to contact the person, request an hourly fee for searching--whether the item is found or not--and requiring partial payment up front. THEN if you find the item, you can split the amount of the reward as a symbol of your own benevolence. IOW, take your hourly fee and only half of the reward fee if the item is found. It gives you an incentive to actually find it, and it gives the owner an incentive to give your way a chance. A win-win solution to a potentially problematic situation, IMO.

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting...sometimes, i might be good to help them if they lost something at a park, so if they don't pay, then you just accept the joy of returning something :D And the extra pay is a bonus

HH
-GC

T

TreasureTales

goldencoin said:
Interesting...sometimes, i might be good to help them if they lost something at a park, so if they don't pay, then you just accept the joy of returning something :D And the extra pay is a bonus

HH
-GC

I have never charged a fee for finding someone's lost item. If I search for a specific lost item at the request of the owner, I make a deal up front with them that I get to do their yard or their parent's yard and keep all (or nothing) that I find. Sometimes, if they don't want to do that or they don't have a yard, I ask to have dinner with them...at a restaurant. That way they and I can relax and talk about metal detecting in a non-detecting venue. Occassionally this will lead to some places they know about and I learn from them. And it always gets me a free meal. LOL, that's the best part.

Several times I've done the research to locate the owner of a specific item because I figure it would have sentimental value to them. IOW, it would be priceless to them. Here again I don't ask for any reward but may accept a meal invitation from them, if they live nearby. I prefer to improve the treasure hunters' reputation by being a good citizen, rather than being seen as only in it for the money...which is laughable anyway.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Our group is contacted a few times a month to locate lost items. If I am at a beach and someone asks me to find their lost ring, I do it for free. I give them a card and have them call me that night with their number and address in case I find it. If they don't call, I figure they just wanted to see the nerd look for the ring that isn't there.

If I have to drive to the location, I change $50.00 an hour and I get it in advance for the first hour. It always takes way longer than you think it will because it's never where they think it is. I used to charge 10% of the value. Insurance companies sometimes hire us too. But I can't recommend working for them as they all think you'll keep the $10,000 ring. ;D

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know! but i was just saying that you should all keep an eye on the column...could provide new leads an the $ is an incentive. If someone came up to me on the beach and asked for help, i would gladly help....i've done that before several times.

HH
-GC

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldencoin said:
Hello, i just read a great book called The Urban Treasure Hunter Really great book for those in the big cities. Also, it mentioned something interesting- searching the want adds for lost and found.

If your newspaper has the lost and found adds, you could really make in $, or help a great deal by finding lost items for people! Also, if your in suburbia, try pouting an ad in the section.

HH
-GC

I do it all the Time.

BUT Not for the Money, For the Smile on their face.

And a Chance at a Lead.

To me Charging for Enjoying myself makes no Sense.

Of course I never turn down a Reward that is Forced on me.
I'v had a couple people Shove money in my Shirt Pocket,
down my Coller, & just thrown at me.
At which point I say Thanks.
But would Never Bring up Money.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TreasureTales said:
goldencoin said:

HH
-GC

I have never charged a fee for finding someone's lost item. If I search for a specific lost item at the request of the owner, I make a deal up front with them that I get to do their yard or their parent's yard and keep all (or nothing) that I find. Sometimes, if they don't want to do that or they don't have a yard, I ask to have dinner with them...at a restaurant. That way they and I can relax and talk about metal detecting in a non-detecting venue. Occassionally this will lead to some places they know about and I learn from them. And it always gets me a free meal. LOL, that's the best part.

Several times I've done the research to locate the owner of a specific item because I figure it would have sentimental value to them. IOW, it would be priceless to them. Here again I don't ask for any reward but may accept a meal invitation from them, if they live nearby. I prefer to improve the treasure hunters' reputation by being a good citizen, rather than being seen as only in it for the money...which is laughable anyway.

I like it! "Here's your ring, no charge. Say . . . mind if I detect around that old foundation on your back lot next weekend?"

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon

I have to agree that the look of an owners face when we hand him/her ring or whatever is priceless then the fact that they will probably let you detect their property more and maybe they will ask their family members if you can search theirs just opens up more yards/properties to search and thats what its all about .Doing something we enjoy and usually that owner will INSIST you take some sort of reward for your efforts is a plus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread