anyplace in Ohio or close to it?

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Unfortunatly, we are not in a good gem area here. The state gem for Ohio is flint. Newark, Ohio is the center of the flint deposits. Flint Ridge state park is located there, however, you can't take specimens from the park. There are places around that area where you can find or purchase flint pieces. The flint in Ohio can be very colorful and can make beautiful jewelry.

The other thing in Ohio is fossils, and there are some good collecting sites at different locations. Just do a search online to find out where to go.

Good luck!.....HH

Upvote 0

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006
Probably,the best place to hunt for gems in Ohio is in the glacial gravels brought down from Canada by the Wisconsin glacier.

I have never hunted for gems in Ohio but was raised in Indiana and found lots of beautiful material in the gravel pits.Mostly,agates of different types were what I found but diamonds, saphires,tourmalines,quartz crystals of different colors,and gold have been found in the Wisconsin glacier gravels.

I have never seen any of the diamonds reputed to have been found in Indiana but have seen most of the other stones listed.

Hunting gemstones in gravel is similar to hunting for a needle in a haystack because of the bulk of the materials to be sorted through.The stones will usually have an abraded surface so will be more difficult to recognize.

hasbeen

Upvote 0

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Thanks for the info. I, like just about everyone else on TN, am in Ohio.

Ohio does have gemstones. It has gold. It has oil. It has everything. But just not in the quantities to make it worth anyone's effort. There are a few places that have those buy a bucket and sift it yourself, then we charge you to cut the rough---those types of places, but not much in the wild. Not much of the good stuff. I haven't given up, though, and I've been asking around a lot lately, and if I get any leads, I'll post them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread