Just got back from Franklin, NC

DaveNEPhila

Jul 12, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I was in the Franklin area from 7/18- 7/20. It was my first time mining. My aim was to mine native dirt not enriched. I went to these mines: Mason Mountain (the Johnson place), Sheffield Mine, Cherokee mine, and Mason Mine (by the airport).
I had gotten in too late for Sheffield 3pm so I went to Mason Mountain. For $10 discounted from $25 for all day I had about 2 hrs of digging in their loads of dirt from their mine (which I later found out could be enriched). I got a brief explanation of what to look for. I didn't find any rubies or sapphires but I did find some tiny pieces of emerald, some small rhodolite garnets and a lot of nice white quartz (no crystals). I also found a large rock with many garnets in it. After I take some pics I'll post 'em.
On the 2nd day since Sheffield didn't open till 10 am & it was 9 I went to Cherokee Mine a little further down th road. $7 admission + $1.50 a bucket. A very clean place. Flume h2o was clear diverted from nearby stream. The dirt was easy to clean and there was a staff member at the flume to help identify cleaned gravel. No R or S but some salmonite, kaolinite and some other minerals along with some nice quartz.Someone else found a sapphire. Left about noon for Sheffield. got put on wait list about 1 hr wait. $ 10 admission includes 2 bckt Natural or Rainbow or mix Addtl natural were 2/$3. The flume is recirculated from the pond and always seemed muddy unless u were lucky to get near the start of the flume. The dirt is very tough to go through - a lot of sandstone. I did 1 rainbow and 7 natural and only found some quartz and the seeded semi precious stones in the rainbow.
The last day was at Mason mine $20 & you dig your own buckets and carry them back to the flume. It was not crowded. the flume is clean h20 from the stream. Very helpful staff. I/they found a small sapphire 1ct. in the first bucket of dirt I had dug up. We found several more during the course of the day & by the end I was spotting them without assistance. All the sapphires I found were pink and the largest was about 5 cts.
Overall I had a fun time. I'll be heading back to Franklin some time and my first stop will be the Mason Mine.
One note about Franklin just about all the mines and gem shops close at 5pm. And there's not a whole lot to do after 5.

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Dave,

Sounds like a good time! and some nice keepers :)
I went to the OBX a couple of years ago, but never made it to Franklin :( :( :( Maybe next year....headed for Utah this fall :)
Thanks for the info :)

Upvote 0

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a great trip, I hope to make it soon.

Fossis................

Upvote 0

hyderconsulting

Apr 17, 2007
My wife and I just got back from Franklin. We to the Sheffield Mine and found it closed due to storm damage. I was a bit upset about this because I had checked their website the night before and it gave no indication of being closed. We traveled back to the Mason Mine on Hwy. 28 and bought a $30 seeded bucket to go through. The $25 buckets for all day digging were not available at the moment, another bit of disapointment. Susan and I found a place on the sluice bench and shook out the bucket. In actuality, we got some very nice and colorful stones, several being of good size out of the seeded bucket. I might try to post a picture of all of them here. We did find 3 or 4 rubies and garnets which we were told were of just large enough to be cut and mounted, the quality of these I don't know for sure. Can anyone suggest a guide or book for determining the quality of rough stones like these? I would appreciate any advice. ??? ??? ???
A couple of things I did learn though from going to the mine. As my wife and I were working through the bucket I noticed that when everyone else there got through with searching their screening boxes they dumped them out on the other side of the sluice box. Me being a curious fellow, I leaned over the sluice box to get a closer look at these leftovers and immediately saw several small but nice stones in all the clutter. I dipped up a few handfuls of these leftovers and put them in my wife's screening box for her to find a few more beauties. I got to thinking later and wished I had filled my plastic bag up with leftovers to take home and sift through. There are probably some significant stones in what was thrown away. The other thing I learned was that it will take some practice and experience to find all the good stones in what you go through at these mines. We plan to back again later this fall perhaps and try again. Regards, Chris Hyder.

Upvote 0

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Sounds like fun, Dave and Hyder. I can't wait to go!

Me being a curious fellow, I leaned over the sluice box to get a closer look at these leftovers and immediately saw several small but nice stones in all the clutter.
You catch on fast! haha. It's always worth checking others' leftovers. Some really good stuff can be found sometimes. :)

Happy Hunting, all!

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Well, it seems our trip to Utah is off for this year :(

But, we're headed back to NC in a few weeks...................
so.........Franklin here I come ;D ;D ;D
Any more suggestions, guys?
i need rubies.......i need sapphires :) lol :)
anyone camp there?

Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I worked at one of these kind of places... my job was to point out what was and what wasn't a gem... at the end of the day I had to clean the sluice boxes out... you would not believe the number of gems people dumped out... I had bags and cans full of gemstone for a long time.. I have traded most away now.. had a couple of them cut..one of the coolest jobs I ever had for sure.

Upvote 0

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
It has been a few yrs. since we were in Franklin but the best
place IMO is the mason mine where you dig your own buckets.
Yes you have to haul them down to the sluice but you cannot get
more virgin soil than that. We did find some nice saphires.
If you get to Franklin ask around at the gem shops many of them
had plenty of raw gems found at the local mines and the prices
were very reasonable. Another nice place we found was just down
Highway 23 across the Ga. border. It was a gift shop but they had
plenty of Saphires and Emeralds for sale at less than what the
shops were charging.

Have a nice trip
Joe

Upvote 0

ATGem

Sep 28, 2007
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, & Compass
Dave and Hyder,

The reason you found only Rhodolite Garnet at the Mason Mt Mine is because its a Rhodolite Garnet Mine. Yes the do have Ruby and Sapphire but they are primarily a Rhodolite Mine. And they do have enriched stuff for the tourists so they can find stuff. A wile back I went to the Masons Mine and Got 75 all Pink Sapphires in about 3 Hr. They were all around 1ct Chrystal's. The last trip I made to the area 2 Years ago They were closed, (Some sort of law suit). But if they are back open I will stop by there again on my next trip. By the way, you can look in the forest areas around that area. Lots of productave places for gem hunting at no fee.

Upvote 0

RN MEDIC

Greenie
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks much or all the good information here in this thread. You've been very helpful

Gratefully & Respectfully, RN MEDIC

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread