Anything interesting here or just a whole lotta nothing?

Justhavinfun

Greenie
Sep 13, 2012
British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
These items were all collected in and around the city where my Family and I live. We do a lot of exploring and sometimes find interesting items. The city we live in has a history of First Nations occupation. We've come across many cache pits, culturally modified trees, etc. If somebody can help in identifying what these items are, that would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3190.jpg
    IMG_3190.jpg
    519.9 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Looks like you have a pestle two beads and a broken pendant. The others I'm not sure of. Looks good to me!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post a photo of the bottom of the large end of the item on top? And some closer photos of all of them? Some have familiar shapes but to know if that's more than coincidence we need a closer look.

OP
OP
J

Justhavinfun

Greenie
Sep 13, 2012
British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I posted a few more pics on my items. I hope these will be of some help? Thanks!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I want to say this is only my opinion based on some photos. They are all very cool finds and I think you have a good eye. ... that being said... unless there was other artifacts found in the area and they were all parts of some context.. I see 1 possible bead. The Rest even the pestel looking one all appear to be natural shapes. If that was a pestle used for grinding there would be evidence of that on the skin of the stone. The pendant looking stones don't show any signs of being constructed into that shape as far as I can see. They are interesting and I would have picked them up to. Again this is just 1 man's opinion based on some photos. Keep hiking and enjoying Mother Nature I look forward to seeing some really cool artifacts I'm sure you will find eventually.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Justhavinfun said:
Hello,
These items were all collected in and around the city where my Family and I live. We do a lot of exploring and sometimes find interesting items. The city we live in has a history of First Nations occupation. We've come across many cache pits, culturally modified trees, etc. If somebody can help in identifying what these items are, that would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks!

Are you in Va. You gave a couple hints that led me to guess that. If not tell us where you are . That can help determine much about an artifact. If you are in Va , NC , or northern part of Sc, I would say that is defiantly a pestle . That is about as good as the polish gets around here and would be seen as quality. If you are any place else, I can't really tell either . However, I have to disagree with gator on the drilled stuff. Rocks normally don't have holes in them, let alone holes that perfect and centered. That leads me to put my money on they are artifacts.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alot...I mean alot of stones have perfect holes from everything from air bubbles in sediment and small burrowing prehistoric worms and many other reasons. Tell me also why a pestle that is used for grinding grain on another stone would have no wear on the end that was supposed to be doing the grinding.. really

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple natural stones..or are they something else to you?

ForumRunner_20120915_004830.png

ForumRunner_20120915_004947.png

I'm sure you can imagine these into all sorts of things but they're just stones.

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.
Not real sure ,but from the pix..The one on the left(above)Looks like a Oyster fossil.And the round one with a partial hole in the center ...looks to be an Urchin fossil.I find some here in Tx.. That look just like that one.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
GatorBoy said:
Alot...I mean alot of stones have perfect holes from everything from air bubbles in sediment and small burrowing prehistoric worms and many other reasons. Tell me also why a pestle that is used for grinding grain on another stone would have no wear on the end that was supposed to be doing the grinding.. really

Easy big fellow, that's why I asked about location. I've been out all day flipping stones, and saw not the first one with a centered hole in it. If I did, it would be posted. The pestle, who said they were grinding against stone? Could have been pottery. I don't know ! Are the ones you posted shell of stone? I'll be honest, the stuff that you posted in attempt to make an @$$ of me is not found around here. Tell me why the ones you found with holes are natural. How do you know ? The others, I didn't pick them up, nor did I post them. I love you Gator, but none of us know all of this stuff. None of us!

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Neogeo said:
Not real sure ,but from the pix..The one on the left(above)Looks like a Oyster fossil.And the round one with a partial hole in the center ...looks to be an Urchin fossil.I find some here in Tx.. That look just like that one.

Who's pics? Gator's or justhavinfun's pics look like ancient sea creatures? I think we lost sight of the original post.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you realize that's just me bro. There is no ill will attatched to any of that. I'm just an animated person sometimes that comes across as mean in printed text."I'm far from mean"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread