Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks back I was looking at a site. I found this rock. The only reason I have any question of it being anything is the context. Right in the middle of a site full of flakes and such. It was a foot down in soil and a foot above sandstone bedrock. It’s a stone like you find in the river a mile away and shows evidence of being in a fire… so any chances it’s anything? It was enough I didn’t toss it, and probably just a rock but doesn’t hurt to ask. Maybe some sort of hammer stone although no fresh battered edges, or a small cooking stone?
IMG_4157.jpeg
IMG_4156.jpeg
IMG_4155.jpeg
IMG_4152.jpeg
IMG_4153.jpeg
IMG_4154.jpeg
IMG_4151.jpeg
IMG_4150.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked because it’s in middle of an Indian site, floating in the dirt, I guess I didn’t mention it’s up on a bluff so being river rock it didn’t get there through floods or anything. I thought it was worth asking because my gut says it doesn’t belong although I agree it doesn’t look like anything… been thinking since I posted and I think I have a good explanation, they used that stone, some is jasper, some is a flint to make points and tools, I think it got hauled up probably in a group from the river, thrown in a fire for heat treatment and then for whatever reason not selected to use as a tool.
Here’s a picture of the flakes within a 2’ radius, probably just shy of a couple feet deep hole
IMG_4158.jpeg

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Also agree with natural but don't blame you for picking it up. I had a site I called core city. Material was everywhere and you couldn't help but to walk out with a backpack of cores, preforms and scrapers. 99.9% was material; the other .01% was other rock. I always wonder how the "other " rock got there. Some of that were rocks perfectly shaped like small eggs. I always thought they were natural but picked them up because you never know. They sit in various places outside so if I ever found out they were something I can easily find them again.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have carried it home. I've looked at this several times and sometimes a tool shows. Laying out in nature for thousands of years a lot of changes happen.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the interest all, i just kept looking at it laying on the table wondering about it, pestle was another thought, but I’d like to see some color change/wear around the business end. I’ve got a stash I call odd rocks, it’ll probably head there.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two toned coloring looks like the fire rock that is found around camp sites here in Montana. Just a reminder, the river rock was heated in the hot coals and them used to heat up their food. The opposite of how we warm up our food now a days. You could confirm this if you can find more of these charred river rock in the immediate area.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also agree with natural but don't blame you for picking it up. I had a site I called core city. Material was everywhere and you couldn't help but to walk out with a backpack of cores, preforms and scrapers. 99.9% was material; the other .01% was other rock. I always wonder how the "other " rock got there. Some of that were rocks perfectly shaped like small eggs. I always thought they were natural but picked them up because you never know. They sit in various places outside so if I ever found out they were something I can easily find them again.
It sounds like you were at a place a lot of knapping was going on. The round rocks were probably hammer stones used to knap the flint. Very common where I live.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two toned coloring looks like the fire rock that is found around camp sites here in Montana. Just a reminder, the river rock was heated in the hot coals and them used to heat up their food. The opposite of how we warm up our food now a days. You could confirm this if you can find more of these charred river rock in the immediate area.
There is more evidence of fire, it’s usually sandstone that’s been burnt, and the occasional mussel shell pops up, I do believe they were eating at the site, so I’m with you it could be for cooking, next time I work that spot I’ll pay more attention to evidence of fire.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
There is more evidence of fire, it’s usually sandstone that’s been burnt, and the occasional mussel shell pops up, I do believe they were eating at the site, so I’m with you it could be for cooking, next time I work that spot I’ll pay more attention to evidence of fire.
I’ve found polished rocks in camps before and brought them home even crystals

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread