spower

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2013
SoCal Desert
Detector(s) used
Eyes!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, I am new here and am addicted to this site and all the info on it. I have "gold fever" and I am wondering if any of you know if there any places out in Anza or Salton Sea area that I can try? I live out here and would love to prospect close to home (and find something!).

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
spower

spower

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2013
SoCal Desert
Detector(s) used
Eyes!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try 29 palms area , loaded with big pockets in very secluded spots

Really? Do you know where I can get some maps with an idea of where to go? I have no idea where to start. Thanks!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
There are some areas near Banner Grade. There are some claims in that area so be sure you do your research before you head that way. I've also got an old friend that lives in the area of Scissor Crossing. Off the S-2. There's a possibility that I could set you up to meet him as he knows that area like the back of his hand. (No Dave... the OTHER side!) He's found gold on his own property and is into dry washing. Let me know if you're interested in meeting him and I'll see if he is game.

OP
OP
spower

spower

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2013
SoCal Desert
Detector(s) used
Eyes!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some areas near Banner Grade. There are some claims in that area so be sure you do your research before you head that way. I've also got an old friend that lives in the area of Scissor Crossing. Off the S-2. There's a possibility that I could set you up to meet him as he knows that area like the back of his hand. (No Dave... the OTHER side!) He's found gold on his own property and is into dry washing. Let me know if you're interested in meeting him and I'll see if he is game.

Thank you so much for the offer, may take you up on it some time, I am just not ready yet, I am still deciding where, what, how, I want to do. I was really hoping there may be something closer to home but it isn't looking promising.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well the friend I was talking about has been prospecting that area for a long time. If you're near Borrego then he's close to you. We grew up together in Ramona and have both prospected all over S. California. He has also done the GPAA trip up to Nome, Alaska and really knows his stuff. I think the only type of prospecting he hasn't done is dredging.

There IS gold in your area as well as a lot of open areas to look for it. Dave could be a huge help in getting you on the gold and he's a really good guy. I wouldn't recommend him if he didn't know his stuff.

If you want to gt an idea of where the claims are in your area you can go to freegoldmaps.com which will show you where the gold is in your area as well as give you info on the claims. Go to the "New user interface and follow the instructions on the page that opens up. I've used it to research claims and to get a feel for new areas and it's really handy. I just took a look at it and found 10 claims on the area of Montezuma Valley Rd and Grapevine Canyon. Took me all of about 2 minutes.

OP
OP
spower

spower

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2013
SoCal Desert
Detector(s) used
Eyes!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the friend I was talking about has been prospecting that area for a long time. If you're near Borrego then he's close to you. We grew up together in Ramona and have both prospected all over S. California. He has also done the GPAA trip up to Nome, Alaska and really knows his stuff. I think the only type of prospecting he hasn't done is dredging.

There IS gold in your area as well as a lot of open areas to look for it. Dave could be a huge help in getting you on the gold and he's a really good guy. I wouldn't recommend him if he didn't know his stuff.

If you want to gt an idea of where the claims are in your area you can go to freegoldmaps.com which will show you where the gold is in your area as well as give you info on the claims. Go to the "New user interface and follow the instructions on the page that opens up. I've used it to research claims and to get a feel for new areas and it's really handy. I just took a look at it and found 10 claims on the area of Montezuma Valley Rd and Grapevine Canyon. Took me all of about 2 minutes.

This is great, thanks!!!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Hi All, I am new here and am addicted to this site and all the info on it. I have "gold fever" and I am wondering if any of you know if there any places out in Anza or Salton Sea area that I can try? I live out here and would love to prospect close to home (and find something!).

Thanks!!

If you are real adventurous, I would look for the black gold supossedly found by Pegleg Smith long time ago. The whole story is on the Lost Treasures segment on this site. And look up the Lost Pearl Ship story too. Both legends are in that area or close to it.

This is a good time of year to explore there, as its cooler, just be carefull, and plan things out.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to gt an idea of where the claims are in your area you can go to freegoldmaps.com which will show you where the gold is in your area as well as give you info on the claims. Go to the "New user interface and follow the instructions on the page that opens up.

Freegoldmaps.com doesn't show any claims at all Jeff. What is presented there is the MRDS (Mineral Resources Data System). You can get the same maps right from the source from that link.

The MRDS is a combination of two old databases of registered producing mines in the world. No claims are shown and many of the mines are on foreign, private or patented land. If a mine was big enough and produced enough income to get a Bureau of Mines (Defunct government regulatory agency) serial number it will be in one or both databases.

From the USGS:
MRDS is a collection of reports describing metallic and nonmetallic mineral resources throughout the world. Included are deposit name, location, commodity, deposit description, geologic characteristics, production, reserves, resources, and references. It subsumes the original MRDS and MAS/MILS.

The system is not very accurate on locations (miles off in many cases) and has many duplicates. We clean the database when we use it and end up with about 30% usable entries.

No claims, just past producing mines.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The easiest way I can recommend is to go where gold has already been found. Here is a link to a website that sells maps marked with known locations of found gold. From there, you can progress to lost treasures, caches, and mines, as your innocent hobby becomes a horrible addiction! HAHAHA

UNITED STATES GOLD LOCATIONS-CALIFORNIA

I live in Pasadena, but my stomping grounds are from the border up to Mohave around Robber's Roost. I spend most of my time in the Anza-Borrego Area though. Once you figure out what type of hunting you want to do, let me know. I may be able to give you some guidance.

Best - Mike

Last edited:

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
29 palms, dome rock mts, Yuma, cargo muchahos, chocolate mts, chuckawalla mountains, peg legs lost gold.

Jerry311

Nov 3, 2011
Ramona CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am born and raised in Ramona so was my dad and my Grandfather help start up (craftstones) And I am still living there now I would love to know of some places close buy to look for gold.

Jerry

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry,

I was told by an old timer that there is a very big rock somewhere close to Lake Ramona that has a very large cross cut into it. Near that, there is an old dried up stream. Somewhere up that stream is supposed to be a rattlesnake infested cave that is hiding some gold. Never took the time to look for it myself.

Mike

Jerry311

Nov 3, 2011
Ramona CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry,

I was told by an old timer that there is a very big rock somewhere close to Lake Ramona that has a very large cross cut into it. Near that, there is an old dried up stream. Somewhere up that stream is supposed to be a rattlesnake infested cave that is hiding some gold. Never took the time to look for it myself.

Mike

Well I might have to take a look. I have never heard of this rock, but I can ask some of the old timers here.
I'm sure someone can point me in the right direction. Hopfully it's somewhat close to a road. MY car is AWD (subaru) so I do take it off road all the time.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The view from the TOP of Font's Point is nice, but if ya wanna impress me, get a pic from the bottom!

p1010396i.jpg

Do you see me in there? LOL That is at the base of Font's Point! A little harder to get to than the top.

Mike

E Double

Jan 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for goldenIrishman's friend Dave in Anzo Borrego:

I'm new to this site and this is my first post. My family has over 300 acres between Ocotillo Wells SVRA and Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in California. I’m interested in learning more about the minerals/gold out there, as well as the mining rights as I understand they are state owned parks, with the latter being a wildlife reserve/conservation area, and with joint management by California and BLM in certain areas.

I was informed that 'goldenIrishman' sadly passed away last year, and thus not sure how I can get in touch with his friend "Dave".

Wondering if anybody might know who "Dave" is, or have any other ideas about prospecting out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

what

Oct 9, 2015
USA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Really depends on where exactly your land is... Im guessing it is along 78 and has a very large wash running through it because that describes 90% of the privately owned land between but not within the two places you gave as reference.

Im far from an expert but I would say to start by checking out the wash for gold? Maybe check out your whole property with a metal detector? Maybe someone who has more experience will chime in.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure you don't mean "Dan" ?

E Double

Jan 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the original post, his name was Dave. To clarify for 'what', 300 acres are inside Ocotillo Wells SVRA and 60 acres are within Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see the original posts. my bad. the reason I mentioned that is one of my partners used to live in San Diego knew Golden Irishman and used to stomp around out there following his leads and info. His name is Dan.

Now That I saw the rest of the thread I see why you were asking for "Dave"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread