Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JJtheRollHunter said:
Since I blew goldencoin's thread way out of proportion by creating the petition, solution, etc., I would like to apologize to everyone here on the forum for causing all of this controversy. At first I didn't know. But now, I realize that my threads are just a bunch of foolishness. I again apologize.

Sincerely,
JJ

Just so you know,
Your Posts are still welcome here JJ !

I Can always Delete them
If they get Too far Off :tongue3:

keverett

Feb 9, 2009
The NO town, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac w/ Sunray X-1 Pro Coil and 10x12 SEF, Tesoro LST
Just relax a little bit buddy.....There is an old saying that goes "You catch more flies with honey than you do with $@%^". Realize that its just like metal detecting. People may read all kinds of posts in the Today's Finds thread and think they can go out and find a gold ring or Draped Bust dollar the first time out, but once they go shell out the cash for the detector and dig up a zillion pulltabs, foil, and garbage they will start to realize that it's a hobby and nothing more. We find cool stuff sometimes, but its getting outdoors and doing the hunting that keeps us motivated. People who CRH do it because they enjoy the hunt. They enjoy seeing what people will cash in at the bank, and being first to take advantage of careless spenders. Yes finding silver is always great, doesn't always happen, but it is always nice to see some silver. I agree with some other members that believe 10 skunk boxes of halves in a row is a dose of reality for the guys just starting. I don't mind people trying CRH'ing especially when they find out that to be serious you are going to need 2k-3k cash, 2 willing banks, going to need to spend 2 or 3 of your lunch hours during the week dumping, ordering, or searching for customer rolls, and you are going to need to haul 25 lb+ boxes of coins around with you. When someone actually enjoys the hobby for what it is, I say great! When people think they are going to make a quick buck.......I let them keep on thinking that. My 2 cents.

KEverett

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think only serious hunters will stay the game, some may try for a while and then find better time doing something else. Kind of like people buying guitars then selling them next year.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Just because we all (or at least most I saw posting) disagreed with your idea, it should not require an apology from you. You meant well in your intentions and did not put them forth in a mean-spirited way.

Your thinking is correct though that CRHing finds are generally going down. There are no solutions to this reality, that is just the way it is. Some say that silver will always continue to flow, but that is only partially true. Silver coin stashes are not renewable resources like trees and wildlife and such. Coin collections passed down from older generations get cashed in and swept up by collectors and CRHers. Unless the collector dies and his family cashes them in, they do not go back into the system. I would bet most collectors here have instructed someone close to them what to do with their stash when they expire (at least I hope they have).

Silver coins sold to coin stores get sold off in junk bags that will likely not find their way back into the system, unless as stated above the collector dies without leaving instructions on what to do with the coins.

Yes there will always be some silver coins cashed in over time in that millions were minted and saved by the older generation who actually lived when such coins were circulating, that have been passed on to their heirs who stupidly cash them into the banks. The economy has been so bad for the past few years, it is likely a great many of those collections have been cashed already by the unknowing holders who are desperate for cash. Many still holding their inherited coins probably know they are worth more than face and will sell them to coin stores/dealers, otherwise they would have cashed them in by now.

We all have theories about how much silver is left and what affects a CRHers success or lack thereof, but results cannot be denied. I ask any of you who have been CRHing for a year or more, have your finds been less than when you started? And, are there more CRHers in your area now than when you started? For most here I bet the answer is yes to both.

For me CRHing is a hobby and I don't expect to make a profit from it. I just wanted to point out that while I disagreed with the OP's idea about the petition, or whatever it was, I don't disagree with his thinking regarding the probable near future (already happening for many here) for CRHing lack of decent finds. I am sure some will disagree with me, but check back in a year from now and I bet you will see I am correct.

Jim

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,
You are correct in most regards. I think the biggest problem we have here is that people don't understand what this forum is about. This is not the silver coin roll hunting forum. It is the Coin roll hunting forum. People think that when the silver is going there is nothing of value. True collectors know what I'm talking about. Like the 16d Mercury dime I found last year. Some of the silver hunters would have just sold it as bullion. It's actually worth about $800 dollars. No telling how many 55 Franklins have been sold for melt when they are valued at so much more. If people actually learned this
they would be so much better off.
HH
enamel

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Lol i wouldnt say foolish but a normal reaction. I myself collect silver ONLY because of this thread so i am grateful but it is also true that the more people who find out about it the less silver there is . Simple math.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Until they search a few times and come up empty. Then they quit. It pays to learn about coins other than they are silver. Every time I find a high dollar coin for my collection I thank the person that turned it in to the bank because it was just "one silver coin, not worth the trouble".

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
I was at the dealer today and he was telling me an interesting story. Lady had a collection she was getting ready to cash in. She has a friend help her seperate it into different piles. Silver and Gold. Well out of the silver pile she gives 5 of 7 of certain coins to the little grandkids. At the dealer she tells him that the 2 of 7 coins left are just junk silver. He says "no mam, they are 1 oz platinum coins worth about $1,500 a piece." She says " excuse me I have to call my daughter because my grandkids are playing with the coins in the front yard." ....... There's always going to be people who have no idea.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
jeff of pa said:
JJtheRollHunter said:
Since I blew goldencoin's thread way out of proportion by creating the petition, solution, etc., I would like to apologize to everyone here on the forum for causing all of this controversy. At first I didn't know. But now, I realize that my threads are just a bunch of foolishness. I again apologize.

Sincerely,
JJ

Just so you know,

I Can always Delete them

I didnt mind it at all to be honest

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugotit22 said:
jeff of pa said:
JJtheRollHunter said:

Sincerely,
JJ

Just so you know,

I Can always Delete them

I didnt mind it at all to be honest

It's what this site is for

Discussions & Giving opinions are a part of it.

As long as when it comes to discussing the dowside,
the bad opinions are about Coin roll hunting
and not any Coin Roll Hunter in particular.

only thing I Wont tolerate is attacks on each other.

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
It's what this site is for

Discussions & Giving opinions are a part of it.

As long as when it comes to discussing the dowside,
the bad opinions are about Coin roll hunting
and not any Coin Roll Hunter in particular.

only thing I Wont tolerate is attacks on each other
:thumbsup:

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
JJ....i just read goldencoins post and i only saw one post from you replying to the poster who said we should be required to be an adult (which i disagree with). what happened to the rest of the posts? were they deleted by you or someone else? i saw nothing about a petition.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JJ, no need to apologize. Just step back, read, learn, and ask questions. There are those on here that have done this for a long time. If you truely are into this for a hobby and not as a get rich quick scheme, you will find what you learn on here to be invaluable. I believe the majority of people come on here expecting riches to abound for them and as soon as a skunk streak happens they get upset thinking that everyone is gunning for them. Look at it this way, you win some and you lose some. View it as a hobby and you will see there is more than enough to go around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread