Just had to do it

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
I picked up 10 rolls of halfs at my regular bank this morning, a bunch of hand rolled (might have been yours). Some were dated some not, nice mix of different old wrappers. Out of those rolls I got
1 - 68d. I had been saving some older mixed wrappers also.
Well remember that bank with the silver picking tellers, lol. Yep, I had too. Besides the ones already dated 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, ect. I marked a few other wrappers, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69. Not full dates, just numbers. You know, I think it was the first time they never asked if I had an account there, which I do.
The last time I got any rolls there several months ago, this one teller in particular yelled across the bank, "You know I haven't gone through those yet!"
That was the one who waited one me today. She was grinning ear to ear and putting those rolls in her drawer. Hey what else you going to do with a bank where you know your not getting any silver. All in a days work. Have fun with your hobby.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
The day she yelled, she wasn't grinning either. She was PO'd, at the time she was the only one working drivethru, left her station to have a fairly heated talk with the teller who sold me rolls that day.
Steaming, fuming, stomping her feet, gritting her teeth mad. Seems like a good place to switch for some cash if you ask me. Definitely no silver going to be there. Just a good place to cash out.
And actually, I know of other tellers who keep silver, who are very friendly. I have no problem with them at all. This one just should have looked sooner and not made such a fuss. By the way, I get along fine with the manager and vault teller there. Have fun with your hobby.

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, let me try to understand your logic: tellers have no right to coin search? What if that teller was your wife, girlfriend or sister that was searching for you? Would that change your stance? You aren't entitled to those coins anymore than anyone else, especially the tellers!! You're just bitter because as bank employees, they get first shot. If you worked there... You would do the exact same thing... So stop whining like a little girl.

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
cdickrun64 said:
So, let me try to understand your logic: tellers have no right to coin search? What if that teller was your wife, girlfriend or sister that was searching for you? Would that change your stance? You aren't entitled to those coins anymore than anyone else, especially the tellers!! You're just bitter because as bank employees, they get first shot. If you worked there... You would do the exact same thing... So stop whining like a little girl.

It was the fact that the teller acted rude. Did you understand the topic?

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How was she rude? By yellin that she hadn't searched the rolls yet? Big deal...like I said.. You would do the same if you were in her position, as would most of us here.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Not only rude but timing. The teller works at a business , not a playground, the time for collecting silver is between customers quietly not yelling across the bank when a customer is conducting business.

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
NaturalJWL said:
The day she yelled, she wasn't grinning either. She was PO'd, at the time she was the only one working drivethru, left her station to have a fairly heated talk with the teller who sold me rolls that day.
Steaming, fuming, stomping her feet, gritting her teeth mad.

cdickrun64 said:
How was she rude? By yellin that she hadn't searched the rolls yet? Big deal...like I said.. You would do the same if you were in her position, as would most of us here.

Does this answer your question? Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but everybody needs some revenge. Even though I probably wouldn't do it, don't be so hard on the guy.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CDICKRUN If it's first come first serve, then why is it ok for her to yell across the room that she hasn't searched those?? Do you think they should just hold those for her to search through first even though someone wants to come in and buy them?? If he beats her to it before she can search, she has no right to tell anyone she hasn't gone through them yet. I see what u do mean tough. If I was a teller, I'd want to look through them too, but u can'thold halves if you haven't looked through them yet.

NaturalJWL I would have done the same thing... I'da brought a whole box of halves in with all the wrappers ranging from like 1935 to 1964, that'd be funny.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdickrun64 said:
well if his wife, girlfriend or sister worked there, he wouldn't even have to go in to buy halves they would just check them for him.....lol

the teller was being childish and rude in a place of business, totally uncalled for

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
So, let me try to understand your logic: tellers have no right to coin search? What if that teller was your wife, girlfriend or sister that was searching for you? Would that change your stance? You aren't entitled to those coins anymore than anyone else, especially the tellers!! You're just bitter because as bank employees, they get first shot. If you worked there... You would do the exact same thing... So stop whining like a little girl
first of all the tellers DO NOT get first shot. they are employees of the bank that are there to serve customers. it is not thier money. if they want to search the coins they should do it BEFORE a customer asks. it was very unprofessional of her to yell across the floor and the bank manager should have had a talk with her regarding work place edicate.
let me ask you this. if it was Target and they only had 3 playstations left at xmas, and there is a high demand for them, do the clerks get first shot and the heck with the paying customers? i think someone would be fired.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
mistergee said:
So, let me try to understand your logic: tellers have no right to coin search? What if that teller was your wife, girlfriend or sister that was searching for you? Would that change your stance? You aren't entitled to those coins anymore than anyone else, especially the tellers!! You're just bitter because as bank employees, they get first shot. If you worked there... You would do the exact same thing... So stop whining like a little girl
first of all the tellers DO NOT get first shot. they are employees of the bank that are there to serve customers. it is not thier money. if they want to search the coins they should do it BEFORE a customer asks. it was very unprofessional of her to yell across the floor and the bank manager should have had a talk with her regarding work place edicate.
let me ask you this. if it was Target and they only had 3 playstations left at xmas, and there is a high demand for them, do the clerks get first shot and the heck with the paying customers? i think someone would be fired.

I agree with you. I've run into similiar situations and worse on numerous occasions. That's why I quit road trips a couple of months ago. I even heard a teller at a bank loudly call a customer a MF.
Of course I've run into tellers who were up front about their coin collecting, and enthusiastically conversed with me about the hobby. These tellers were friendly and I can't say I blame them for discreetly culling silver at work. In their situation I'd certainly do the same.
I had this old maid type of miserable teller who hated to see me come in and dump coins. She was giving me the 3rd degree as to where I got all the halves from. I told her that my great grandmother recently passed away and left me these old dirty halves. Upon hearing that, her eyes lit up, and she started salivating. It was obvious she was a serious silver hunter. Heck,that wanton look on her mug made me wonder if she was getting horny. When she changed the bag she stayed in the back room of the bank a long time,obviously looking for treasure. I'm laughing to myself thinking, how could this nosy-rosey believe that my great-grandmother just passed away? My great-grandmother was born in 1866,144 years ago.What a dope :laughing7:.
She was POed when she had to change the next bag, saying"these coins aren't old"! I quickly grabbed a bicentennial from the hopper and showed it to her,"Oh yeah,take a look at this one, 34 years old"! If looks could kill...
HH
Rich

OP
OP
N

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Obediah, she was smiling ! :icon_thumleft:

Dropped by today with just a few rolls and she started grinning as soon as she saw me. She said; "that was cute, you got me on that one". She was actually very pleasant today.

Two tellers were leaving for lunch as I left and stopped me in the parking lot to thank me. LOL
Both were laughing hard going to lunch, there were no hard feelings anywhere, as it should be.

If anyone gets upset with a hobby, they need a different hobby.

Have fun with your hobby

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
NaturalJWL said:
Obediah, she was smiling ! :icon_thumleft:

Dropped by today with just a few rolls and she started grinning as soon as she saw me. She said; "that was cute, you got me on that one". She was actually very pleasant today.

Two tellers were leaving for lunch as I left and stopped me in the parking lot to thank me. LOL
Both were laughing hard going to lunch, there were no hard feelings anywhere, as it should be.

If anyone gets upset with a hobby, they need a different hobby.

Have fun with your hobby

It was probably irritating her so much, that she could barely contain herself from letting out anger, so she just smiled. :D

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I don't do half's so it is no big deal to me, however. I think if a teller has a silver coin in there tray they should be able to pick it up. I don't think that just because they work at the bank they are entitled to all of the coins in the bank. If they want to go through the rolls they should have to buy them just like you & I, & have to go through the hassle of dumping them.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
cdickrun64 said:

I asked a teller at one of my banks if there are RULES for them. She said this: We are not allowed to put money of any kind aside for ourselves. The bank considers it an unethical advantage for employees to get "Dibbs" on special coins. First of all they are not supposed to be searching through money anyway. She said it is similar to employees not being able to participate in a promotion to win a new car or boat if they work for the dealer. She also said one guy got caught with a couple silver ollars and was fired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread