Apparently someone found a Van Gogh painting at my thrift...

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was looking at the watches while at my local thrift. A store employee came running up to the guy helping me and said some guy just found a Van Gogh painting and he said it was worth 70 million dollars!!!!!!!! LOL it's hard to believe but I guess it could be true. I went over to the paintings and this guy dressed super nice was all excited showing everyone this painting he had and was bragging about it being millions of dollars. I wanted to get you guys a picture but he was running all around the place. He bought it then ran out to his car and booked it out. Seems odd to me, why would he tell all these people he had a 70 million dollar painting in his hands? Seems like a nice way to get mugged in the parking lot, especially in the area we were in. What are the odds it was actually real? I am not bummed out because if real I would have never found it since I don't do paintings. If you see on the news a Van Gogh painting was recently discovered at a thrift store you heard it here first hahah sure was exciting to see the thrift store in an absolute frenzy!

Edit: It was $5.50

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Van Gogh did not sell any paintings in his lifetime. All Van Gogh paintings are well documented and I believe only a few missing which are believed to be destroyed during WWII or stolen. Possible yes but of all artists the least likely to find a missing piece of artwork.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
If he was bragging about it while still standing in the painting section instead of after paying that means he's too stupid to know a real from a fake.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup probably a print or repo, very very very unlikely

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother hung this Van Gogh Sun flowers on the wall in the 1960s. Now I've no clue what ever happened to it :dontknow: Once doing work in West Texas I did stop by the gallery of this artist in Van Horn who painted his own Van Gogh's.

Attachments

• c7afe99f8ae93aef003853ca1ab0f697--van-gogh-tattoo-van-gogh-sunflowers.jpg
    c7afe99f8ae93aef003853ca1ab0f697--van-gogh-tattoo-van-gogh-sunflowers.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 87
  • vangoghgallery.jpg
    vangoghgallery.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 86

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
He was probably doing what that guy did when the lottery was over half a billion dollars...just pretended to win and ran out. Then the winner turned out to be someone else. But it will be great for him if it is true, but bad for us because that will have folks flooding thrift stores again looking for treasures. And my local stores have already started getting really stingy with any oil painting that looks old! My last oil purchase was his one that I got for $50...sold it for almost $900. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506602177.331711.jpg

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was probably doing what that guy did when the lottery was over half a billion dollars...just pretended to win and ran out. Then the winner turned out to be someone else. But it will be great for him if it is true, but bad for us because that will have folks flooding thrift stores again looking for treasures. And my local stores have already started getting really stingy with any oil painting that looks old! My last oil purchase was his one that I got for $50...sold it for almost $900. View attachment 1498862

Haha, score! But... who in the WORLD would want that photo?!?! I wonder where that thing is hanging now haha

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he was hired by the Thrift store to sell their overstock of used paintings.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great, now the thrift stores are going to start charging way more for any other Van Goghs that they find.
Some people can just ruin it for everyone!
Carl

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody want to buy a bridge. You can put a toll booth on it and make your money back in less than a year. It's between Brooklyn and Manhattan.

How could he even value it. If it were to br an unknown or missing work it would be years before it could be sold due to experts evaluations. A few years ago on EBay someone was trying to sell an "unknown Van Gogh of fishes" for a crazy amount of money.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you might have run into a nut-job. I've met a few in my travels, and thrift stores and the like seem to have their fair share of them.

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my memory serves me correctly I believe that there was someone on this site a few years ago that was claiming to have found a Renoir I believe at a thrift store...I wonder what ever came of that???lol

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my memory serves me correctly I believe that there was someone on this site a few years ago that was claiming to have found a Renoir I believe at a thrift store...I wonder what ever came of that???lol

That is far more likely but still remote.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone found one, what reason at all would they have to let anyone know?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread