April 15 1865. Not dug but found today

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I found this paper while helping my wife's grandmother sort through some antiques. She had this paper and some declaring the end of WWI. She also had a CDV of my wife's great great great grandfather and two of his medals. He was a Union soldier from 1861-1866. I bought the paper and CDV, she wasn't sure if she wanted to sell the medals yet. I thought some of the history researches and civil war collectors might like to see it.

Attachments

• newspaper 002 (2).jpg
    newspaper 002 (2).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 561
Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diving doc said:
dg39 said:
Keep it out of direct sunlight.
Try not to fold it.
It should be stored in very low humidity..
**Acid free plastic or glass on both sides.
But make sure air can circulate in anything it is encased in.**
You have a very valuable piece of history.
My suggestion is to place it on loan to a museum where it can be properly perserved..
Fantastic find.
Not many of the originals left.

Do not attempt to repair it in any way...

Advice from the man who does this for a living, sounds good. How do you frame it and still keep air circulating, curious.

Doc

Put some type of acid free shims in between the mounting panes with just a hair more clearance than the thickness of the paper. Make sense? ???

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get packets of oxygen absorber from food packaging suppliers, and packs of desiccant from various places. I'd keep the paper stored in an airtight case with a few of each inside the case but not touching the paper.

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rusted_Iron said:
You can get packets of oxygen absorber from food packaging suppliers, and packs of desiccant from various places. I'd keep the paper stored in an airtight case with a few of each inside the case but not touching the paper.

That will dry out the paper. ***Not a good idea! *** That is good for shipment of items that need to have low humidity.
Narrow scope of items that is good for. Not good for preseveration of paper documents...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread