April 19 coins found

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Today I bought 2 boxes from a BOA I stopped into. They are different from what I have seen around here. They are from Dunbar and the coins are in cardboard-colored rolls but are done by machine. The first box was a big ZERO with most of the coins exhibiting smooth rims, like they had been rolled and re-rolled so many times they were showing signs of damage. Anyone ever get any Dunbar boxes?

I will check the other box later, but I have slim hope of it being any better.

On a good note I dropped by two banks on the way to the BOA and got some loose halves. $29.00 in loose halves yielded 1- 90% and 3- 40%s. One of those banks let me buy from the coin counter which surprised me. The other bank only had 2 halves in the entire bank, one of them was a 40%.

Jim

Upvote 0

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
Those really worn out rims are usually from rolling into the slot machines to many time.

HH
Cat

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
That sounds like a good explanation for the smooth rims. But there was no luck in those slot machine halves for me today. Both boxes were complete skunks. Next time I buy a box I will stick to the Brinks boxes I get from my main bank. They have not been great lately, but better than what I had today.

I am going to pass through a couple of rural towns on Monday for business, and I will check a couple of the local banks to see what they have.

Jim

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Hey Jim thats a bummer on those boxes but you did alright on the loose ones , they all add up ... and best of luck out in the rural towns next week you just might find some really nice hand rolls

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Thanks Scalper,

I already called ahead to some banks where I will be Monday, and they said they have some hand rolls waiting. I always try to BS with the tellers when I call to see if anyone is dumping halves alot or on a regular basis. When the banks say yes, I don't go buy their halves since they are most likely already looked over. I also ask if the coins came in over time or if they were brought in by just one person (if it is over $50 worth dumped at once, that is usually, but not always, a bad sign).

One bank I called yesterday had a teller who said "are you looking for silver, because I always buy all the silver coins that come in here because I am a coin collector". Strike that bank off the list.

I have noticed since I began CRHing (just a month or so ago) that more people are getting into CRHing here at home. Some of the banks I started at had nobody but me CRHing from what the tellers told me. Now they are telling me others are asking for halves like I do. I have not had such responses in some of the rural areas I go to, so for a while maybe they will be better than average.

I will be in a town near the one where I recently bought some rolls, three of which were full 90% rolls, marked "64 Kennedys". I am hoping that maybe there are some more of those floating around.

Jim

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
WHOA , 3 rolls of full of 90% that is a wicked killer haul , damn that must have been fun :tongue3: I got a tip from one of the tellers that told me that one of their local branches had a bunch of rolls ... so I called them and after some pushing they have over $500.00+ , sounds like a dump job but I am going Mon. and I am only going to buy 200.00 at first run out to the car and rip though them to see whats up ...

Anyways Jim , best of luck with your rural hunting , btw that all mine is ha ... and may u smack a few more of those mega -rolls , Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread