apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are boxes stamped with numeric codes a regional number, service center number, packer number, or what?

Just curious as I have been obtaining a variety of numbers lately. Generally, I have boxes that tend to alternate between two codes--if the boxes are even stamped at all. String boxes are generally stamped--80% of the time I have found, whereas I have never seen a stamp on a Brinks box. I have not seen a Dunbar box.

apush :read2:

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For half dollars, I do not get stamped half dollar boxes, but my brinks pennies and nickels are usually stamped,
75% of my penny boxes are stamped with a date and machine number.
40% of my nickel boxes are stamped with a date and machine number.

I have no clue on the stamps, I guess it is mainly for tracking, just incase you get shorted, they can track your box back to that exact sorting machine on the exact date processed.

HH

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I've never received a stamped box from Brinks. Loomis mostly stamps their boxes, but trying to derive a pattern ... good luck. I've had boxes actually dated in the future (and not just by a week or two). I think one's energy is better served hunting than trying to figure out their bureaucratic red-tape/codes/hieroglyphics/etc.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D "hieroglyphics" LOL. That truly sums it up D_D.

apush

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to figure out the "code" thing. The four boxes I just picked up today are all stamped "1936" but have no idea what that means. This is the same number as past couple weeks, which haven't produced much of anything, so we'll see. I think my bank uses Loomis though.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Loomis boxes are usually stamped with the same 4-digit numeric code...I assume that relates to the location that the coins were rolled and boxed. These boxes typically average 1 40% per 2 boxes. Sometimes the boxes have no stamp whatsoever. Occasionally, I'll get boxes with a different 4-digit code or even a date (month,day,year) stamp instead of the "normal" code. These boxes typically produce a bit better, but I only seem to get them once or twice a year.

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArkieBassMan said:
My Loomis boxes are usually stamped with the same 4-digit numeric code...I assume that relates to the location that the coins were rolled and boxed. These boxes typically average 1 40% per 2 boxes. Sometimes the boxes have no stamp whatsoever. Occasionally, I'll get boxes with a different 4-digit code or even a date (month,day,year) stamp instead of the "normal" code. These boxes typically produce a bit better, but I only seem to get them once or twice a year.

Arkie...that seems to be exactly what I've been getting for averages. When I first started here I was getting different codes and the occasional date, and they seemed to produce better too. I don't know where my coins are coming from, but I can tell there is a pretty big searcher in the area as I get many coins marked with a black dot in JFK's ear.

FIRE310

Mar 22, 2011
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO, Ace 250, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None of my Halves boxes are ever stamped, I get boxes from Garda and Loomis

My dime boxes from Garda are stamped 50% of the time

My dime boxes from Loomis are never stamped.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
coincrawlin said:
I don't know where my coins are coming from, but I can tell there is a pretty big searcher in the area as I get many coins marked with a black dot in JFK's ear.

I get tons of those too, here in Indiana.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions