• 0504091420c95398069 (2).jpg
    0504091420c95398069 (2).jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 696

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Nice Find ,. :icon_thumright:..Bi-color Beryl ?,...Blue cap sure looks like ,Hmm...Aquamaine ?.. :wink:
Welcome to T -net ,..Blindpig

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RULE6660

Greenie
Apr 13, 2011
Maine
Thats what i was hope'n for :headbang: there is another peice in the rock im try'n to get out. and its in quartz. all i have are hammers and chisles. what power tools are out there that i can use? theres no power out there im about a mile in the woods any sugestions??? :help: ??? Thanks!!!!

Upvote 0

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Hay Rule.... , I'm a mason and use a Partner/ Husqvarna K950 gas saw all the time , quartz is hard , but no problem . You could rent such a saw & blade , I'd think for 50 - 60 bucks a day ..?? For your remote location , I would set-up a 1 gal. bug-sprayer [clean/ new !] with a male garden hose fitting , good to go . You can cut near 5 in. deep ,..but in the end tis' old school ,...hammer & chisel .
Anyway ,.. maybe cool to get that aqua out in a block of quartz ,..great display piece ?? I'd like to see a insitu pic of it ,.and perhaps a wee story would be nice ... ;D
Thanks ,..Blindpig

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RULE6660

Greenie
Apr 13, 2011
Maine
The microblaster sounds like it will get the job done and will def. have to save some money for that. But i will give the saw a try also :thumbsup:
Just a quick story for ya-
About 2 years ago i was talking to an older guy, who's son was part of the big amethest find on deer hill in stow maine, he was telling me that (while he was out turkey hunting) he saw an old mica mine that he thought looked interesting an that i should check it out. so my wife and i took a walk to see if we could find the spot he was talking about. Well we couldn't find it. And on our way out we passed the old timer. So he gave us our barrings, go 100 yards that way fallow the stone wall, pass the creek, and over the hill..... yea couldnt find it again HA so headed back out we stoped on a large rock and had a sandwich. While sitting there i picked up a small rock and looked on the bottom and there was a small peice of aqua :icon_thumleft: so i took the next day off and did some digging and found a few peices and then more. And that leads me up to now :hello2:

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could you post some pics of some different angles?

Upvote 0

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
RULE6660 said:
there is another peice in the rock im try'n to get out. and its in quartz.
Wow--that is a really nice piece. It sounds like you may have found a pegmatite vein with a quartz core. The beryl tends to crystallize under the quartz vein. I would relocate it and dig up under the quartz. You would be amazed at what you found. Good luck!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RULE6660

Greenie
Apr 13, 2011
Maine
ill get more pictures for you later but here are a few more

Attachments

• 0504091420a.jpg
    0504091420a.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 616
  • 0503091315a.jpg
    0503091315a.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 645
  • 0503091243b.jpg
    0503091243b.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 595
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Seems it might be a beryl.

Looks greenish to me, emerald?

Aquamarine is usually blue (heat treated) or greenish-blue (natural, often untreated)

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
I am not any kind of expert on gem ID.
If that is an emerald, you are a rich man. It could also be green quartz or prasiolite, which has been found in Canada.
Can you scratch the quartz with it? Emerald is one step up on the hardness scale, so if it is Beryl then it should scratch the quartz.
Rob

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
No. The Beryl, emerald/aquamarine, is just a little harder than quartz. It should scratch the quartz, The reverse is that the quartz won't scratch the beryl.
No info on other emeralds in Maine.
Are they in a major rock outcrop? If just a few rocks then possibly erratics brought in by a glacier.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RULE6660

Greenie
Apr 13, 2011
Maine
The spot i am digging, i have gone throu a large bolder and the one in the ground is in another rock under the 50'x30'x6' thick bolder. i have gotten alot of this stone out of there but nothing quite like this peice i will post more pictures tonite! Thank you everyone for the info :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
A quick google search turns up lots of info on beryl in Maine.
You ID minerals based on several things. Hardness, shape of the crystal, cleavage, fracture, color and the kinds of surrounding rock are all used to ID a gem or mineral. You should be able to answer most of these questions yourself. Again there are several web sites to help you ID minerals step by step.
To get an idea of the quality of your crystal you will need to show it to a good gemologist. Judging by the amount of Beryl found in Maine you shouldn't have a problem finding one.
Here is a web site I use for research on stuff I find.
http://www.minerals.net/Default.aspx

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread