silver3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 193

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not sure that anything can be done to make the image good enough to identify the item or items on the seabed as the larger you make the pic, the more pixelated it becomes, thus the more blurry it becomes.

Frank

Old Man Treasure2.jpg

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I came up with the same image as Frank. Not enough resolution. Need to put a high resolution camera down and forget about screen capture for identification.
Aquanut

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I came up with the same image as Frank. Not enough resolution. Need to put a high resolution camera down and forget about screen capture for identification.
Aquanut

I agree 100% but if I had to hazard a guess, then I would say that it is just debris or some cabling with possibly the remains of what the cabling was attached to!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I agree 100% but if I had to hazard a guess, then I would say that it is just debris or some cabling with possibly the remains of what the cabling was attached to!

Frank
Frank thanks for the post. I don't think the object was associated with a cable. I just talked to my friend who sent me the pictures. He stated that the black strip across the middle of the screen is part of an ROV. He also told me that old rope and canvas can be found on the site. He also sent me some other pictures and those artifacts do not appear to me from a modern wreck in my opinion. I will post them below.
I told him what you guys posted and he said thanks. The only thing that bothers me about the pictures are the round corners on the the black and gray rectangular object. I attached a picture of a silver bar and it is sort of shaped the same way. I also told him that it is impossible to tell what the object is from the picture. I did tell him that if it turns out to be the remains of a chest of silver to let me know when he gets back out to the site. ( He did tell me that the wreck is in deep water in north Florida and that if it proves valuable he will file a claim on it. )

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 23455.jpg
    23455.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 335
  • Snapshot 28 (1-21-2013 3-08 PM).png
    Snapshot 28 (1-21-2013 3-08 PM).png
    89.3 KB · Views: 111

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't just enlarge a photo without cutting it, then dropping into a larger higher resolution background (to size over). This photo is very limited in what you can do, but might help a little. I can remember seeing silver bar photos from the Fisher finds, the bars were that thick.

Attachments

• silver3.jpg
    silver3.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 82
  • silver3B.jpg
    silver3B.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 77
  • silver3C.jpg
    silver3C.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't just enlarge a photo without cutting it, then dropping into a larger higher resolution background (to size over). This photo is very limited in what you can do, but might help a little. I can remember seeing silver bar photos from the Fisher finds, the bars were that thick.

Yeah, but they were much thicker unless we are only seeing the top of a Silver Bar! I knew Mel and saw quite a few of the Silver Bars and other items that they recovered. If the Silver Bar pictured by Old Man is actually that thin, then it was probably made that way to smuggle more easily and avoid taxes/levies.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank thanks for the post. I don't think the object was associated with a cable. I just talked to my friend who sent me the pictures. He stated that the black strip across the middle of the screen is part of an ROV. He also told me that old rope and canvas can be found on the site. He also sent me some other pictures and those artifacts do not appear to me from a modern wreck in my opinion. I will post them below.
I told him what you guys posted and he said thanks. The only thing that bothers me about the pictures are the round corners on the the black and gray rectangular object. I attached a picture of a silver bar and it is sort of shaped the same way. I also told him that it is impossible to tell what the object is from the picture. I did tell him that if it turns out to be the remains of a chest of silver to let me know when he gets back out to the site. ( He did tell me that the wreck is in deep water in north Florida and that if it proves valuable he will file a claim on it. )

Based on these latest pics/scans from the site, it definitely looks like a wreck that is worthy of salvage!

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a little more manipulation on the original pic/scan to see if any more details would come to light. Not much did but it almost appears that there is a skull intertwined amongst the other item or items. Also, I thought it interesting as to what the large hole is off to the right. I also enhanced the upper left pic to see if the item on the left could be identified and I may be wrong but it appears to be a clay vessel of some sort.

Frank

Old Man Treasure2b.jpg Old Man Treasure2a.jpg Old Man Treasure4.jpg

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Yeah, but they were much thicker unless we are only seeing the top of a Silver Bar! I knew Mel and saw quite a few of the Silver Bars and other items that they recovered. If the Silver Bar pictured by Old Man is actually that thin, then it was probably made that way to smuggle more easily and avoid taxes/levies.

Frank
Frank and Red Desert, thanks for the pictures. That's what I like about you guys on this forum. Always offering to help. You guys also have Eagle eyes. The silver bar in the picture below is not thin. The picture was taken with the bar sitting on a bed in a motel room. The bar sunk down in the mattress, because of the 80 lbs of weight. I will pass on your posts to my friend. Thanks.

For my friend sads669, you wanted pictures of the old treasure hunters that passed over the bar, for a book at the cookout. Below is a picture of Jack Haskin's. The picture was taken at Jack's favorite place to have Breakfast in Islamorada in the Keys.

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCN0994.JPG
    DSCN0994.JPG
    465.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried cropping the original down first, before working on it again. About the same, but a much larger image to play around with, did a little hue shifting on it. The 1st image is unshifted, other 2 pics a little over done, but you see the original had a heavy color cast to it also.

Attachments

• silver3D.jpg
    silver3D.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 78
  • silver3F.jpg
    silver3F.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 79
  • silver3E2.jpg
    silver3E2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the last 2 pics modified by reducing the shifted color some and seems to lack the purple color tone of the original. UV light is the last part of sunlight to be filtered out going deeper in water.

Attachments

• silver3F2.jpg
    silver3F2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 70
  • silver3E3.jpg
    silver3E3.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here ... Try now...

I see 2 things :)

attachmeuiggynt.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doncha wish they were all this easy...

key-west.jpg

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a look at the other bottom photo, left and right areas cropped.

Attachments

• oldman1C.png
    oldman1C.png
    200.7 KB · Views: 66
  • oldman1B.png
    oldman1B.png
    203.3 KB · Views: 89
  • oldman1A.png
    oldman1A.png
    329.6 KB · Views: 72
  • oldman1.png
    oldman1.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 74

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of anomalies in there no doubt, might be a shadow cast the dark area of upper left section.

Attachments

• oldman1B2.png
    oldman1B2.png
    266.6 KB · Views: 65
  • oldman1C2.png
    oldman1C2.png
    192 KB · Views: 69
  • oldman1C3.png
    oldman1C3.png
    252 KB · Views: 76
  • oldman1B3.png
    oldman1B3.png
    255.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Frank and Red Desert, thanks for the pictures. That's what I like about you guys on this forum. Always offering to help. You guys also have Eagle eyes. The silver bar in the picture below is not thin. The picture was taken with the bar sitting on a bed in a motel room. The bar sunk down in the mattress, because of the 80 lbs of weight. I will pass on your posts to my friend. Thanks.

For my friend sads669, you wanted pictures of the old treasure hunters that passed over the bar, for a book at the cookout. Below is a picture of Jack Haskin's. The picture was taken at Jack's favorite place to have Breakfast in Islamorada in the Keys.

The joke is kind of on me on the Silver Bar, LOL! I felt that it may have sunken down in what it was laying on but I did not feel confident enough to say so. At 80 pounds, that makes it close to identical to the Silver Bars found by Mel Fisher crew from the Santa Margarita wreck and which were on display in his' Galleon Museum in the early 1980's.

Sorry about the passing of your friend Jack Haskins! Was the restaurant there on Islamorada in the early to mid 1980's? Not far South of there, my friend Roy and what was his friend, found well over 40 Spanish 1, 2, 4 and 8 Reale coins that had been blown into the sand dunes and across the narrow stretch of land there by Hurricanes. The coins apparently came from the Spanish shipwreck (sorry, I don't know it's name) that was salvaged just off Islamorada. When it was salvaged, they retrieved all of the Silver Bars and some coins but the majority of the coins were never found. Due to the water being fairly shallow there, it was fairly easy for the Hurricane winds and storm surge to blow and push the coins right into and over the island. After Roy found out that his so-called friend in the joint partnership was sneaking back at night, tearing up the sand dunes and digging more coins, the friendship ended. The digging also ended as Roy's friend had devastated the sand dunes and Sea Oats and the County put the whole area there off-limits.

Frank

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking that someone may have mentioned (one of the comments above) there looked like a skull off toward the side in this photo.

Attachments

• oldman1B4.png
    oldman1B4.png
    206.8 KB · Views: 81
  • oldman1B5.png
    oldman1B5.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 85

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread