Archaic Toolkit Cache

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
My brother and I continued our dig at the monster shelter Sunday/Monday and FINALLY hit paydirt, finding an assortment of archaic tools tucked away under a rock ledge! Five of the tools came up in one sifter load! Our next sifter revealed 2 more tools. At that point, I hurried home to get the camera to document what else might come from the hole but we only managed one more blade from the cache upon my return.

The tools came from about the five foot level. We were into a small about of debitage and trying to get down to the 5 1/2 level when I hit rock. So I moved out about a foot from the shelter wall and hit a soft spot. I was trying to locate the edge of the wall and work downward as we've had very good luck finding artifacts right against the wall. I went after the soft spot and as I leveraged the shovel up and out, I hit rock again, parallel to the shelter wall. Essentially, I had a crevice about 8 inches wide that I could dig. The first shovel fulls revealed nothing and as I continued to dig, I discovered that I could reach back underneath the rock about 12 inches and that's where the cache was located. 8 artifacts in all, from one spot...just unbelievable for my brother and I. This by far is our best dig to date.

I took the cache to a local "expert" to get his opinion and he thinks that the white blade might be gem quality. I'm not sure what that means but I must agree, it is one nice point. As pictured, a short piece of petrified wood came up with the artifacts. Is it possible that this piece of wood was a handle or shaft? I wasn't sure but I kept it as part of the cache just in case :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCF1617.JPG
    DSCF1617.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 4,161
  • DSCF1618.JPG
    DSCF1618.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 4,080
  • DSCF1609.JPG
    DSCF1609.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 4,063
  • DSCF1610.JPG
    DSCF1610.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 4,029
  • DSCF1620.JPG
    DSCF1620.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 4,014
Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, as I'm still pullin it up and lookin at it. Congrats on the banner too.

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds for sure!!! Got any video of the digs??

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's allot of digging.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
talk about alot of digging how long did it take you to find this post rock?

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Now that's allot of digging.

Indeed....on and off, about a year of digging at the time of discover. There have been many more great finds in this shelter but I refuse to show them here because of all the negativity that the cache generated. Matter of fact, I hardly post anything on here now because of it. Internet police.....wow.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it looked interesting and a good read.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you were very right rock.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
I too, enjoyed seeing and reading about this, even years "after the fact". Great finds, and so sorry that some of the posts may have inhibited further updates on your shelter finds. So awesome to find and "intact" set of points and tools like that, I assume each of the serrated and notched points had ground bases? HH

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Artorius,
Think about that for a minute.
Do you really think that with any new information that would be obtained from this site, or a myriad of others like it, will add or affect anything that is not known to the archaeology record at this time? The chances are minimal.

Even if, notification was made, and a possible study scheduled by an authority or a school, They may exclude it from further consideration, due to lack of obvious relevance.
But because of the notification itself, in time the site will be closed from anyone even surface hunting, by local or state imposed sanctions.

If one sees a site with Clovis or Paleo cache material poking out of the ground, maybe that deserves the need for professional investigations, I got that. And I have participated in just that capacity.
With the common historical thru archaic, I can't see it. It will be covered by a parking lot or Venture store before any one like us has a chance to reap the treasures and secrets found within. They would rather it be covered to hold it's secrets forever, than let a collector find those special items that meant life to those that resided there millennia ago.
I have seen that too.
Respectfully, Lone Star

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice...

OP
OP

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I too, enjoyed seeing and reading about this, even years "after the fact". Great finds, and so sorry that some of the posts may have inhibited further updates on your shelter finds. So awesome to find and "intact" set of points and tools like that, I assume each of the serrated and notched points had ground bases? HH

Yes, the bases were ground. Each of them had received some use but no evidence of resharpening. Two of the three points were damaged in the sifter (lesson learned). We continue to study and discuss them. It is extremely rare to find an assortment like this in one spot, hardly any doubt given the location that these were deposited together and at the same time. Each scraper is different and likely served a separate purpose. All three points are a different type with two basal styles. This person or group was prepared. The area in which these were found was way too small to be a burial as some have suggested, at least a traditional burial.

The speculation is that the owner of the tools set out on a journey..hunting, relocating, etc. He had fresh tools at the start, and perhaps used them on the way or once he arrived at the shelter. One would think if he cached the tools, he would have felt comfortable in the area and perhaps sourced enough material locally that he didn't need the cached tools right away. Personally, I think it was a communal cache...more than one individual contributing to a stock pile for future use if necessary. The types, styles and material used on these is all over the place.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, always nice to see archaic points matched up with tools. A lot of people swear that those tools are exclusively paleo, which clearly isn't the case.

My next comments aren't really about these points or digging (which I do and enjoy), just some of the replies. I don't buy the "rescue it before it's lost forever" line or "get it before the pros do because they'll just put it shelf and no one will see it" arguement. Collect if you want to and if it's legal, but you don't need to create excuses for it...

On the rescue side, the points were fine against the wall of the shelter for 8000+ years, I think they would have been fine for another 8,000+ years. And the arguement that pros will just put it on a shelf in a room where almost no one will see it is basically what happens with 95% of our collections. If you are starting out you might only have a couple of frames on the wall. But once you've been collecting for 30+ years, you end up with a lot of stuff. I've got boxes of stuff I haven't opened in 20 years, and I'm not sure how that's any better than something sitting in a museum where no one sees it...

Joshua

I like this answer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread