Are there any shark problems off the coast of the Outer Banks?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear the sharks feed mornings and evenings

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of luck in your diving, detecting adventure.

Last edited:

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharks are an ever present danger on the east coast of the U.S. the more your in the water the greater the chance you will encounter one.....odds are in your favor that even if you see one you will not be harmed. That being said there have been a number of attacks recently. Always be hyper aware of your surroundings underwater and be prepared to be startled by sea life occasionally.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard they hunt detectorists because we have such oh so tender meat! JK, there's no more of an issue in OBX than there is anywhere else. Don't go out wearing a bloody fish suit and you shouldn't have any problems.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read where sharks are the most feared animal in the world. I can see why as so much of the worlds population lives near the coast. An interesting fact: Bull sharks have been caught in the Mississippi River near St.Louis! Someone once said, “Nothing good comes from the water.” Beware!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard they hunt detectorists because we have such oh so tender meat! JK, there's no more of an issue in OBX than there is anywhere else. Don't go out wearing a bloody fish suit and you shouldn't have any problems.
There are old water detectorists and bold water detectorists, but there are no old bold water detectorists.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for posting these. That's crazy about the tiger shark and bull sharks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember seeing a docmentary a while ago about a shark repellant that was about the size of a lipstick container and when the diver pressed a button it would emit sound waves at a certain frequency that would instantly repel sharks. I can't remember what it was called. Does anybody have any idea what this is called?

Does anybody know of any other shark repellants?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is that sarcastic? Should I really be that worried? Sure I could encounter a shark but is it really that likely?
Lots of folks dive, seek the treasures that other land folks only dream of.
No bad, sarcastic, ill, intentions were applied.
There was just well wishes in your future adventures.
Query: How long have you been diving?
Have you seen a shark while diving?

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of folks dive, seek the treasures that other land folks only dream of.
No bad, sarcastic, ill, intentions were applied.
There was just well wishes in your future adventures.
Query: How long have you been diving?
Have you seen a shark while diving?
Ok thank you. I'm thinking about getting back into it. I'm pretty much a beginner.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Apparently there is some bracelet which emits electromagnetic signals which interferes with a shark's ability to detect electrical signals from potential prey. The reviews seem to be decent but I read some article where a person wearing one of these still got attacked.

Also some experiments have been done which suggests that the presence of magnets repels sharks.

If I go through with this I'll get the shark bracelet and several super strong neodymium magnets for extra measure.

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read where sharks are the most feared animal in the world. I can see why as so much of the worlds population lives near the coast. An interesting fact: Bull sharks have been caught in the Mississippi River near St.Louis! Someone once said, “Nothing good comes from the water.” Beware!
I've heard that bull sharks are known to enter freshwater, but I never could have imagined they would go as far North as St. Louis.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if a diver disguised as a baby orca would be bothered by sharks. Sharks flee orca

OP
OP
O

OBXmetalDet

Aug 25, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if a diver disguised as a baby orca would be bothered by sharks. Sharks flee orca
LOL....that might work

There is some device which mimics the sound of orcas which keeps them away but I think it's pretty expensive.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't work for all sharks but, If you're about to be attacked by a Great White, you'll hear that easily recognisable music. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread