Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been playing with google earth and wondering if any of you Shipwreck experts can tell me if I'm looking at 6 shipwrecks in Nassau Bahamas clustered around a central figure at approximately 25 degrees 04'54.27"N, by 77 degrees 21'11.24"W. I'm at 775 feet elevation on Google Earth. I'm just curious to know if these are shipwrecks I am seeing. Thanks in advance for your help!

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure seem to have ship shapes. Hopefully some our Bahamas shipwreck officianados can shed some light!

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
They all seem to be about 45' in length. I'd say they are most likely fishing vessels or pleasure craft sunk during a hurricane. But then again, who knows?

Pcola

Island Hunter

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2008
USVI
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x and Garrnett Sea Hunter Mark2
My bet is they are boats at anchor. There is a lot of overlap of pictures with Google earth. When in Google Earth go to “layers” (bottom left) “more” and turn on DG. You will see the overlap of the edges of the pictures. A better example is at 18 23 071N 64 42 304W. There is no catamaran sunk there, I know, I have been in and out of West End (Soper’s Hole) for over a year now.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If the shipwrecks are in the Bahamas, all you will ever be able to do is look at them via Google Earth, at least under the current administration.

abacopirate

Jan 18, 2006
Abaco, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
whites,excaliber,pulsestar2
They are Hatian sloops at ankor there in Nassau harbor. There are a couple of wrecks outside and to the left of the harbor. Dell you didn't get it all I'm still finding stuff but a little harder working now.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. That is the spot where they anchor, I'm sure there are a few sunk and anchored. Nassau Harbor is littered with modern and old wrecks. Once when we weighed anchor we got fouled in an 1800's anchor about 8 feet long. A separate time we pulled up a small skiff that had fouled in the anchor. It's actually pretty sad all the junk they dispose of in the water.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
FireRescue said:
Last time I was down there I hear a diver talking about that shark. Funny how word gets around.

There are 3 old mailboats nose to nose just NE of the lighthouse in 80 ft of water and some other 20th century wrecks to the east of them in 40 to 60 ft

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread