Are these trade beads?

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Found these at the same site along the Ct River where I found my broken 1600's Dutch chevron bead. Are these trade beads?
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they look like trade beads but not the period the chevron bead is from....but i would asume if you found a chevron bead then yes...they r trade beads...never seen anything like the red triangle one....not 3 dimensional .....just flat triangular beads made of catlinite(minnesota pipestone) or local red slate...nice finds!...definatly different type of beads...it would not be unusual though...all kinds of different things can be found on sites

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
they look like trade beads but not the period the chevron bead is from....but i would asume if you found a chevron bead then yes...they r trade beads...never seen anything like the red triangle one....not 3 dimensional .....just flat triangular beads made of catlinite(minnesota pipestone) or local red slate...nice finds!...definatly different type of beads...it would not be unusual though...all kinds of different things can be found on sites

Thanks, Beadman! I'll try to get some better pictures of the red one. It's definitely unusual. The site I found it at was a multi component site. It has items ranging from 12,000 CYBP to modern. During in the early-mid 1600's there was a Native American village there, but that vanished quickly just before or right after King Phillips War.

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the chevron bead dates 1575-1620....older beads can come up on newer sites as heirloom beads(passed down)...very rarily the other way around unless they went back to the older site and dropped it.....you say modern? because its a multi component site...so modern as in after 1800's etc......its hard to see from pics but these almost look plastic?...and not glass .....r they glass?....i see they r opaque so light wont help ya but...you should be able to tell if they r glass

Beadman

Oct 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if they r indeed plastic then they must be after 1900s and modern beads....that would not make them trade beads....usually they are glass like that chevron...take a look at that and compare...authentic chevrons r getting very hard to find...if you have a site that ur finding them on....those are what you want to be looking for!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
if they r indeed plastic then they must be after 1900s and modern beads....that would not make them trade beads....usually they are glass like that chevron...take a look at that and compare...authentic chevrons r getting very hard to find...if you have a site that ur finding them on....those are what you want to be looking for!

They are definitely not plastic. They conduct heat way too easily and are very scratch resistant. I wasn't able to get new pics yesterday, so I will add them when I get home from work today. Thanks for the date on the Chevron, that is likely my oldest European made artifact found yet, as my King Charles I silver penny is 1620's or 1630's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread