Are Unleaded 88 savings worth the drop in fuel mileage?

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends on what you're putting it into. My older cars and small engines (lawn mowers, chainsaws, etc) only get premium no-alcohol fuel. The cost is a bite, but I'd rather not have to worry about ethanol issues in those engines.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in central IL it is very difficult to find non-alcohol gas. Very few stations have it. Nearest to me is 40 mi away. This is corn country and it gets shoved down our throats.😡😤

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sheets in Pottsville has a Pump for Pure Unleaded No Ethanol, But it doesn't ever Have Gas in the tank, If The station
Has a Tank for it. I Never Saw a Pump for 88 though they Advertise it on their Sign. Once you Pull up You either need to Get What they Have OR go in and ask Where the pump is hidden ???

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During their Grand Reopening This was the Sign for about a Month

000aaa.jpg

Across the Street at the Exxon
000bbb.jpg

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess it depends on what you're putting it into. My older cars and small engines (lawn mowers, chainsaws, etc) only get premium no-alcohol fuel. The cost is a bite, but I'd rather not have to worry about ethanol issues in those engines.
That's right it's pay a little more all the time, and have less hassles with the engines.
The go cheaper all the time only gums up the carburetors to a point of a having issues starting or running clean.

Same goes for the mixing 50/1 for chainsaws, weed eaters or any other 2 cycle engine.
The mixture is the secret of running a trouble free unit.
Cheap off brand mix has a high ash content, gums the carbs jets up in no time.
Buy a good name brand fuel mix and it will be the end of a lot of issuees

In the early days of having the scrap company I seemed to have 2 saws in for repairs at any one time. Finally after many runs, and $100's of dollars spent on tune ups-I was asked this:

"What are you using for a mix-like where do you buy it?"

HomeDepot

"As much as I love your money Jim-stop buying that stuff it's full of ash, buy Stihl mix and you won't have carb. problems"
I think I didn't have to see that nice fellow again for the next decade. :laughing7:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in my part of Oklahoma most stations have 87 octane 10% ethanol blend as the normal cheap stuff. There are a few stations which offer your choice of 87, 89, or 93 octane. Some offer 87 octane 100% gasoline.

I only buy 100% for my lawn mowers because they sit for extended periods because it rarely rains enough here for constant grass growth.

I drive a 2019 Toyota Tundra with a 4.6L V8 and typically achieve 18+ mpg. My wife drives a 2016 Nissan Rogue with a 2.5L I-4 which typically achieves 34+ mpg. Both vehicles were engineered and manufactured to use a 10% ethanol blend, so as much as I hate the stuff it's what we use because I can't justify spending the extra 60 cents per gallon difference for 100% gas when filling the tank.

The issue that burns most of the residents in my town is that gasoline here is 30 cents (sometimes more) per gallon higher than it is in the next town which is 9 miles away and as much as 50 cents higher than a city 30 miles west of us.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here in my part of Oklahoma most stations have 87 octane 10% ethanol blend as the normal cheap stuff. There are a few stations which offer your choice of 87, 89, or 93 octane. Some offer 87 octane 100% gasoline.

I only buy 100% for my lawn mowers because they sit for extended periods because it rarely rains enough here for constant grass growth.

I drive a 2019 Toyota Tundra with a 4.6L V8 and typically achieve 18+ mpg. My wife drives a 2016 Nissan Rogue with a 2.5L I-4 which typically achieves 34+ mpg. Both vehicles were engineered and manufactured to use a 10% ethanol blend, so as much as I hate the stuff it's what we use because I can't justify spending the extra 60 cents per gallon difference for 100% gas when filling the tank.

The issue that burns most of the residents in my town is that gasoline here is 30 cents (sometimes more) per gallon higher than it is in the next town which is 9 miles away and as much as 50 cents higher than a city 30 miles east of us.
Must have the same thinking on somethings.
2009 Tundra 5.7L used mainly now for plowing/towing/hauling 130K
2020 Rogue was just bought this fall
2011 Honda CVR kept it for running to permissions instead of using the truck.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread