Are we hunting the wrong caches?

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Last night I saw an episode of "Secrets of the Dead" on the local PBS channel, and it really warmed my heart. It was about the finding and commercial sale of dinosaur skeletons, and generally centered around a triceratops skeleton nicknamed "Big John", which turned out to be the largest triceratops skeleton ever found. The episode focused on the increasing popularity of individuals owning dinosaur skeletons and keeping them in their private collections, hence the question about hunting the wrong caches. One of the main interviewees is a guy with the title "Commercial Paleontology Expert", who repeatedly stressed that everything they do is legal and above board. They flashed several recent auctions on the screen, showing both the appraised value and the final auction price. All were significantly above the appraised value.

Big John ultimately sold for more than $6 million Euros, which put a smile on a lot of faces--except for one guy, and this is where the heartwarming part comes in. This dude is your stereotypical tenured academic and paleontologist, and was apparently sitting at the counter of a diner, but he may as well have been sitting in a Old West saloon and drowning his sorrows. All he was missing was a whiskey glass and a bottle of whiskey sitting next to him. He was dejected. He was distressed. He was sad. He had all the appearances of a broken man. He was upset that private collectors were buying up these skeletons, complaining that the money used to buy them could have funded several salaries for lab workers and funding for academic departments. He was absolutely bitter about the upcoming sale of Big John, and openly hoped that no one would bid on it, though conceding it would probably sell for a lot. Absolutely heartwarming. On the flip side, the guy who found Big John pointed to several dinosaur bones strewn on the ground in one search area, and complained that when dinosaur bones make it to the surface they turn to dust and aren't enjoyed by anyone, and many privately owned dinosaur skeletons are loaned out to universities and museums. Big John was bought by an American collector and put on display at a children's hospital in it's own cool interactive exhibit.

So are we in the wrong business? For now, finding and selling dinosaur skeletons is like the Wild West, with big profits to be made. But it was pointed out in the show that there are international efforts underway to stop the sale of dinosaur skeletons in the same way that finding/recovering treasure has become regulated. They even attached the term "cultural heritage" to the debate as a reason to clamp down on the sales, though short of being a descendant of Fred Flintstone I don't know which "culture" can lay claim to a dinosaur on those grounds.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I watched that. Very interesting and diverse points of view. I felt bad for the guy that dug Big John. He obviously han no idea what he had in terms of value. If I had the cash, I would buy a run down ranch in the Badlands and "detect" for dinosaurs.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I felt bad for the guy that dug Big John. He obviously han no idea what he had in terms of value.
True dat. He was practically in tears talking about it. But he did have several years to chisel out the skeleton in the several years he had it, and there were no buyers. Had he and his family finished exposing it they would have easily seen what they had. But $200K for a skeleton that sold for $6 million euros has to hurt!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there is definitely a boom in all things fossil !! One of the most popular activities here in Florida is Meg hunting.....or hunting for fossilized sharks teeth. The megoladon sharks teeth being the new hunting gold !! This has been going on for years, but the last 5 years has seen a boom in interst......there is even a Meg festival where everyone gathers to show, tell, and sell there fossils !! What people don't say much is that all sorts of great fossils are found in the hunt for the Meg teeth. All manner of tours, dive charters, and fossil hunting clubs have become popular here in Florida. The new craze started with covid when people got outdoors, and were looking for hobbies during lock down. It is not uncommon to see perfect large Meg teeth selling for multiple thousands of dollars. I myself have found large mastodon bones, manatee fossils, and all sorts of other crazy fossils along with great shark teeth of all sorts !! I've seen these big Meg teeth sell for 4-6 thousand dollars for the best of the best. I have seen collectors and divers get 3-5 A+ Meg teeth in a day and huge hauls of smaller lower grade teeth at the same time.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the first shot of them finding the 2 at once.....there is a fossilized dugong/manatee rib in the shot also !!

Reactions: ARC

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are risks.....I talk with this guy on instagram from time to time, and he has a successful Meg hunting business and company. There are some crazy folks who are all in, and make there living doing this !!

Mrquest

Tenderfoot
Apr 16, 2013
Last night I saw an episode of "Secrets of the Dead" on the local PBS channel, and it really warmed my heart. It was about the finding and commercial sale of dinosaur skeletons, and generally centered around a triceratops skeleton nicknamed "Big John", which turned out to be the largest triceratops skeleton ever found. The episode focused on the increasing popularity of individuals owning dinosaur skeletons and keeping them in their private collections, hence the question about hunting the wrong caches. One of the main interviewees is a guy with the title "Commercial Paleontology Expert", who repeatedly stressed that everything they do is legal and above board. They flashed several recent auctions on the screen, showing both the appraised value and the final auction price. All were significantly above the appraised value.

Big John ultimately sold for more than $6 million Euros, which put a smile on a lot of faces--except for one guy, and this is where the heartwarming part comes in. This dude is your stereotypical tenured academic and paleontologist, and was apparently sitting at the counter of a diner, but he may as well have been sitting in a Old West saloon and drowning his sorrows. All he was missing was a whiskey glass and a bottle of whiskey sitting next to him. He was dejected. He was distressed. He was sad. He had all the appearances of a broken man. He was upset that private collectors were buying up these skeletons, complaining that the money used to buy them could have funded several salaries for lab workers and funding for academic departments. He was absolutely bitter about the upcoming sale of Big John, and openly hoped that no one would bid on it, though conceding it would probably sell for a lot. Absolutely heartwarming. On the flip side, the guy who found Big John pointed to several dinosaur bones strewn on the ground in one search area, and complained that when dinosaur bones make it to the surface they turn to dust and aren't enjoyed by anyone, and many privately owned dinosaur skeletons are loaned out to universities and museums. Big John was bought by an American collector and put on display at a children's hospital in it's own cool interactive exhibit.

So are we in the wrong business? For now, finding and selling dinosaur skeletons is like the Wild West, with big profits to be made. But it was pointed out in the show that there are international efforts underway to stop the sale of dinosaur skeletons in the same way that finding/recovering treasure has become regulated. They even attached the term "cultural heritage" to the debate as a reason to clamp down on the sales, though short of being a descendant of Fred Flintstone I don't know which "culture" can lay claim to a dinosaur on those grounds.
Academics are No longer true professors but indoctrinated woke individuals that desire to Control . This is America. The land of the used to be Free

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another side of the dinosaur bones business:

"Disappearing Dinosaur Bones Were Sold to China for $1 Million, Feds Charge"

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
Its two way trade dinosaur bone are coming out Asia as well. In fact all over the world. flying mostly under the radar.

Crow

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about you... but i have definitely been hunting the wrong caches...

For one... i never found any.... and the ones i have found consist of only empty beer cans.

Oh wait... I did find a full bottle of Corona once.... that was a "cache tease".

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
I don't know about you... but i have definitely been hunting the wrong caches...
It definitely seems that if you can get a good search routine down and permission from landowners, the bureaucratic obstacles, i.e. laws and red tape are much easier to deal with than with traditional treasure finds. That means that the chances of a big payout are better with dinosaur fossils. Or course, we might just be in a sweet spot now and enjoying the Wild West atmosphere in the industry. The going price of fossils will inevitably drop as more and more people are drawn to the chance of making big bucks and more fossils hit the market. Then there is also the likelihood that whining about the loss to the public in favor of private collectors will spur new laws and regulations. And if that happens, we might have something akin to Spain being able to claim all dinosaur fossils found.

But for now, it really does get the excitement going to think that one find could be retirement money. And your chances of finding a decent dinosaur fossil seems to be a lot higher than finding a similarly valuable treasure cache, not to mention the lack of government types getting all up in your grill. The only other "treasure" related field I can think of with such lax government oversight would be searching for large meteorites that bring in $1,000/lb.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anymore... my detector mostly finds only dust that collects on it.
I try to dust it off and give the ole beach sand a run through every blue moon to just to knock the rust off.
I have been lacking any time to do any detecting let alone much else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread