Are Whites coils Defective?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are White's coils Defective?

White's always had a problem with their coils wanting to float when in the water and salt water makes them more buoyant yet.:BangHead: This is not a problem for guys and gals that only hunt land, but you'd think water machines wouldn't need to be held down near the sand. Other manufactures don't seem to have this defect. Heck even the AT Pro has a none floating coil. Being a water hunter, I'd like to hear from people that take the MX Sport in the water.

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there water tight so act like a balloon or jug.the air in them is float.takes more to hold them down.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to try one out at a dealer in a couple of weeks. Maybe he will let me stick it in a bucket of water to see if the coil floats

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, put a little counterweight on it....like a chunk of brick, or a rock.
Jim

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, put a little counterweight on it....like a chunk of brick, or a rock.
Jim

I used to add a sand filled sock on the coil and it can be removed for out of the water use.:thumbsup:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandest of man, with the money you saved on women's shoe's, go get one, and try it out, money bags what's one more to your collection..you love the white's floating coil, you bring it up all the time...it save the arm, it exercise in reverse...lol

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
White's always had a problem with their coils wanting to float when in the water and salt water makes them more buoyant yet.:BangHead: This is not a problem for guys and gals that only hunt land, but you'd think water machines wouldn't need to be held down near the sand. Other manufactures don't seem to have this defect. Heck even the AT Pro has a none floating coil. Being a water hunter, I'd like to hear from people that take the MX Sport in the water.
The stock MXS coil does not float at all.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman, I can understand the aggravation of a buoyant coil when water hunting, but not sure I'd call an air tight coil "defective", just a poor design for water hunting.
luvsdux

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My BHID coil floats like a bobber here in the ultra salty water of South FL., this annoys me to no end. When in the water i just use the CZ, or the PI. Out of the water the BHID performs flawlessly and deep ! I think Whites has migrated to spider coils vs the old Frisbee 9.5" coils after all the complaints. Besides that i love Whites !!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Anything Whites calls "neutral buoyant" means "like a cork". The 12 inche and 950 coils they put on the BHID's together would raise the Titanic. That coupled to a floating control box and you have the recipe for fatigue. I drilled 2 holes opposite of each other in the top of my 950 coil. I injected almost a full tube of silicone in one side before is squirted out the other. Although the coil was heavy it didn't float.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything Whites calls "neutral buoyant" means "like a cork". The 12 inche and 950 coils they put on the BHID's together would raise the Titanic. That coupled to a floating control box and you have the recipe for fatigue. I drilled 2 holes opposite of each other in the top of my 950 coil. I injected almost a full tube of silicone in one side before is squirted out the other. Although the coil was heavy it didn't float.

Didn't know the spiders float too! Sigh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions