are you related to someone famous ..........

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
well I've been told we are descended from the Webster of dictionary fame...but can't confirm it....

...was once related through marriage to Deborah Gibson...then known as Debbie Gibson

other than that I'm just related to my crazy hubby.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father told me I was related to James Forrestal but I have never been able to find out if that was true or not.
My wife is a decendant of Pocahontas and was able to trace her lineage in her family book.

Cool Post
It will be interesting to see what gets posted here
Steve

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine can be traced all the way back to Chief Sitting Bull on my great grandfather's side...

Bran <><

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where to start...

The oldest know roots of my family goes back to the pilgrims...I have at least one revolutionary war soldier in my family. Perhaps the most famous person in my family is Thomas L. Hamer. He has his own wikipedia page...

Thomas Lyon Hamer (July 1800 – December 2, 1846) was a United States congressman and soldier.

Hamer was born in July, 1800 in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. He was a school teacher before being admitted to the bar in 1821. He practiced law in Georgetown, Ohio and was elected as an Ohio state representative and served as Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives in 1829 and was then elected to the U.S. Congress. While serving as a congressman he nominated Hiram Ulysses Grant, the son of a constituent, to be a cadet at West Point. Hamer incorrectly put on the nomination the name "Ulysses Simpson Grant" and the name stayed with the new cadet.

When the Mexican-American War broke out Hamer volunteered as a private in the Ohio Volunteers. Popular and well respected, Hamer was appointed a brigadier general of volunteers the next day, July 1, 1846. He was placed in command of the 1st Brigade of William O. Butler's Volunteer Division of the Army of Occupation. He led his brigade with distinction into the fighting at the battle of Monterrey. When General Butler fell wounded, Hamer assumed command of the division. When Mexican General Pedro de Ampudia requested to discuss surrender terms, it was Hamer who delivered the message to General Taylor. While still serving in the army he was elected to another term in Congress but died unexpectedly while stationed with the army at Monterrey on December 2, 1846. Upon Hamer's death, General Zachary Taylor exclaimed "I have lost the balance wheel of my volunteer army" and Lt. Ulysses S. Grant also lamented that the "U.S. has lost a future president".

He was buried in his hometown of Georgetown. A few miles away the town of Hamersville, Ohio was named in his honor.

I am his direct grandson...

HH
-GC

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI
Well, first and foremost there's Jesus :) Just couldn't resist!

On my father's side of the family, his mother's aunt was married to Sir Francis Marion, aka the Swap Fox. Then on my mother's side, her great uncle was a Civil War Gen, last name of Hardee. Gen Hardee also authored a book on tactical warfare that was used into the Viet Nam era.

Mike

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm closely related to a famous Florida author. He writes action/adventure novels.

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda funny cool, but not related: My sisters husband's nephew is married to Madonna's sister. His nephew is Joe Henry and he's married to Melanie Ciccone, the Material Girl's sister. My sister and her husband went to the wedding and Madonna was there. They got one photograph that was a group shot with Madonna in it. There were other people there being all obnoxious about it, and Madonna was getting PO'd about it. I'm not a real big fan. I actually like Joe Henry's music better. I knew him when we were kids before his family moved to Detroit.
Or did you mean someone historically famous? If so, disregard this.

HH,
Ramapirate

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I am related to Philo T Farnsworth, inventor of television.

I am a direct descendant of 2 different families that came over on the Mayflower. John Alden and Priscilla Mullins, who were the first couple married in America off the Mayflower, and the Fullers who were also there.

Another relative was the employee at Sutters mill that actually found the first gold that set off the gold rush.

I may add to my list later, these are just some from memory. My mom is a geneologist so she has found cool links and stories, and is always telling us famous people throughout history we are related to.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
How about someone infamous...Jesse James. I don't remember the exact relation but it is very distant. We are related to him through the Smiths and Clarks somehow.

Also I am friends with an auctioneer who is a direct decendant of the Youngers, he lives in the same town I do.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thru Jeff related to Poccahantis so many great back grandmother then down the line Woodrow Wilsons 2nd wife. The one he married in thre White House.

My side I have not seen any thing on anyone famous yet cant find a couple of books that were written during the civil war by my famiy Timothys Civil War Diary and Letters ... or something .... letters I cant remember right now.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wow...awesome topic!

Well, my (step) Dad....he has a famous person. If you are a Jerry Seinfeld fan and watched the show, you will remember GEORGE! His name is Jason Alexander, but his real name is Jay Scott Greenspan (B: 23 Sept 1959 in New Jersey)...that is my Dad's cousin. Dad's mother was a GREENSPAN and also a survivor of the Halocaust and Jay comes from her side of the family. I am still trying to trace it and having a hard time. Grandma Molly's parents were killed. Grandma Molly is also related to that government dude...GREENSPAN, but I don't know the connection nor have I tried to find it.

My (step) brother and sister are related to Michael Lembeck. He played the husband of McKenzie Phillips on ONE DAY AT A TIME. That is through their mothers side.

I never met either of these folks...but if you put a pic of my Dad and Jay together..OMG..you can see the family resemblence!!!

My dau, through her father's roots go back to several Indian Chiefs:

Chief Francis LaFontaine (To-pe-ah), Miami Indian Chief...5th great grandfather

The Turtle (Aque-noch-qua), Eel River Indian...8th great grandfather

Also related to Chief Richarville as well...another Miami Indian Chief..one of her great something grandfathers.

Through the proof of my dau's Indian Ancestors, we are in the process of getting her registered with the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma.

My boys...well, we are also working on getting my boys registered with SAR as they are descendents of Leonard Reep of Pennsylvania. There is suppose to be Indian in their Dad's roots from the Outer Banks of NC...but nothing has been found to prove that..research continues. However, my boys are descendents of many MIDGETT/MIDGETTE/MIDYETT/MIDYETTE's on the Outer Banks who served in the Lifesaving Service. Their 3rd great grandfather, Oliver O. Midgette, received a medal for saving lives. I believe his was Bronze though. And John Allen Midgette Sr are my boys 5th cousin 4 times removed. He is famous for the British Tanker MIRLO rescue in 1918. A Coast Guard Cutter is named after him. It was commissioned 17 March 1972, decomm'd 31 March 1992.

My parents side...still trying to find that rich uncle overseas who owns a castle and is trying to find me to will it to me!!! We are just mutts! What can I say...however, I continue to search my English roots where my great grandma was born and hope to find out we are related to the Queen...anything is possible.

Can't wait to see what everyone else posts.....:)
Annmarie

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Great Grandson of Thomas Lavata who was a Indian tracker for the Army and has a mountain in Idaho named after him.

I think there are others but I will have to study a bit more. :icon_study:

I think everyone on the Fort Hall reservation is related to that family in one way or another. The last time I was at the Pow Wow there every other name was Lavata.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Supposedly Gen. Robert E. Lee but I don't think so, no one seems to come up with the proof. Everyone wants to be related to someone famous from the civil war so it's a case of wishful thinking amongst my family members I think.

Also the person who wrote "Rock of Ages" the hymn.

And of course my grandfather, who was a police detective. He helped solve the case of a serial killer but it's not really a nationally famous case, more regional.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread