Arizona Bark Scorpion

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! You got a few nasty critters to deal with down there.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man! You got a few nasty critters to deal with down there.
Yep! Deserts tend to have some pretty nasty critters. ╦╦C

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes..... none of those rascals up here!!! Just stuff like Triple E, Nile virus, and Lyme Disease.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few scorpions around here, only they are about half that size.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, thanks for sharing your venomous friends with us. That one creeps me out. Have you run across any Camel Spiders, or Tarantulas?

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I caught a half dozen scorpions in CA one night. If you use a UV light, they glow a brilliant green. Easy to spot. I posted those on T-Net a while back. Nothing close to the size of this guy, though. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, thanks for sharing your venomous friends with us. That one creeps me out. Have you run across any Camel Spiders, or Tarantulas?
Haven't seen any tarantulas yet this year. They usually go looking for nookie in late August. They are usually spotted crossing the roads this time of year. None so far. ╦╦C

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really! Never thought they lived that far north. Once I was working in San Antonio, Texas doing pipeline work and I had to shut a water tap off and took the cover off the valve and found the hand valve full of fine dirt. I began scooping it out with my hand and something in a handful of dirt was moving in my hand. I quickly dumped the dirt out on the ground there was a scorpion. The other work hands from Texas, said they weren't real poisonous and only itch kind of bad if they sting you. It didn't sting me, but it did seem a bit upset about being dug out of its home.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No scorpions up here. We have a type of tarantula, but they are small compared to the southern ones. No water moccasins either. Timber rattlers used to be here, but now you have to go about 100 miles to find one. We do have coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, an occasion lost bear, yellow jackets and other assorted critters.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you say...SCORPION? hawkeye.gif

I am so thankful we don't have any poisonous snakes on this side of the Cascades,
and only a couple slightly venomous spiders.

What Smokey said:
We do have coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, an occasion lost
bear, yellow jackets and other assorted critters.

Had some wasps build their mud house under an eve for the
past several years. They haven't bothered me, and I haven't
bothered them.

As for other outside bugs and undesirable critters, they don't
stand a chance against a herd of raccoons. 'Coons love to eat
carpenter ants, slugs, spiders and any other creepy crawly they
can get their mitts on. Banner harvest on tomatoes this year
because the 'coons ate every insect that got near them.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Here he is set up for drying. I will give him to a teacher in Utah who has encased other STUFF in resin for the kids' viewing.
DSC01172.JPG DSC01173.JPG

Also, I noticed a small deer had walked up the driveway last night.
DSC01161.JPG ​╦╦C

Attachments

• DSC01154.JPG
    DSC01154.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 56

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Terry you must be getting bored out of your gourd in Yarnell! :-)
Thank God you didn’t go off to Area 51!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've found scorpions at 6,000' + in western Wyoming. Rattlesnakes too. None as big as that one, though we found two 4" long specimens in Nevada back in June. real monsters, but not as dangerous as those bark scorpions. Cool video, Terry!
Jim

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry you must be getting bored out of your gourd in Yarnell! :-)
Thank God you didn’t go off to Area 51!
No ma'am, not me! Have you read the signs they have around there?? On the bottom it says, "Use of deadly force authorized". No ma'am, not me! ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually, Yarnell can be...IS​... very boring! But, ALAS, there is plenty to do and discover around Yarnell. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
il_794xN.1941305695_8o71.jpg No further explanation required for me! ╦╦C

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found scorpions at 6,000' + in western Wyoming. Rattlesnakes too. None as big as that one, though we found two 4" long specimens in Nevada back in June. real monsters, but not as dangerous as those bark scorpions. Cool video, Terry!
Jim
Jim, You remind of a time I stayed the night in Worland, Wyo. I got going east on 16 towards Buffalo before sun up and about maybe 9am I started climbing the foothill of the high and dry erea heading up towards the Big Horn range and there were rattle snakes all over the black top highway trying to get warmed up. I didn't have a camera or even a mobile phone in those days, as it would have been nice to get a few shots of the many I saw.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions