Arizona Goodies

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Northern Arizona last week, to check out a story for a friend, and while in the area, we ran into a rancher. Really nice guy who gave us permission to hunt some of his woods. He said his kids and grandkids have been finding old Indian Stuff out there since the 1950s, but very few people ever get out that far.

If you have ever heard the term "Virgin Site", then this is it! There were stone circles everywhere. If I could get $1 each for knapping flakes and pot sherds, I would retire in a month. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE! You step into an area, and see literally hundreds of pot sherds all around your feet, along with beautifully knapped flakes of jasper and agate (and my buddy even found a little obsidian). We were in kind of a hurry, as Indian knicknacks were not what we drove nine hours to see, so we cut the hunt short at about two hours. We plan on going back! Everything you see were surface finds, just from walking around the dried up stream beds.

Best-Mike

Attachments

• mano001a.jpg
    mano001a.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 343
  • sherd001a.jpg
    sherd001a.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 328
  • point001a.jpg
    point001a.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 331
  • point002a.jpg
    point002a.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 339
  • point003a.jpg
    point003a.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 324
  • point004a.jpg
    point004a.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 321
  • sherd002a.jpg
    sherd002a.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 326
  • sherd and pointA.jpg
    sherd and pointA.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 0
P

pippinwhitepaws

;D it's everywhere!

Attachments

• shards4.JPG
    shards4.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 258

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great site, I would collect all the pottery up & see if I could restore another, its very enjoyable, tedious but enjoyable.
Look forwards to seeing what else you find, keep your eyes open for grooved axes.

Molly.

P

pippinwhitepaws

find things like that all the time molly, but we are not allowed to pick that stuff up.
most of arizona is state/federal/reservation land, picking things up and taking them home can get you arrested.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pippin is right Molly.

You have to be very careful as to where you pick things like that up. It IS sad that many in the archaeological fields would rather have a nice point or pot rot away to nothingness rather than have "Joe Six Pack" pick it up and take it home.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I understand about people removing items from from Indian Burial Sites and such, but picking up points is another matter to me. I obey the laws, but that allows me the right to bitch, bitch, and bitch. ;D ;D

I guess if we went back with shovels and screens, we could get tons of great stuff, but like I said, that was not the focus of our visit to the area.

Best-Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread